666 interpretation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
RE: 666 interpretation?
From my studies, the Book of Revelation is nothing less than a Gnostic manuscript. In fact, it is so similar to the Gnostic school of thought that it cannot be anything else.

Now, in the Gnostic school of thought, the number 6 refers to mankind, and 7 refers to the higher entity known as God. The Gnostics viewed a person as having 3 entities associated with their being:

1. Body
2. Soul
3. Spirit

Each separate entity is a number 6 hence; 6 and 6 and 6.

In my opinion, the quote in Revelation should read as follows:

"Here is knowledge. Let him that has understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of mankind; and his number is 6 and 6 and 6."

But ... you know ... whatever. Hobo

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I just think the whole idea of him having a number is silly. It sounds more like he's playing sports than anything else...

[announcer over the p.a.]
"And now introducing the Devils' team captain... Number 666... Lucifer "The Beast" Saaataaaaan!!!"

Evil_monster

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
10-11-2013, 02:10 PM
(10-11-2013 02:03 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  I just think the whole idea of him having a number is silly. It sounds more like he's playing sports than anything else...

[announcer over the p.a.]
"And now introducing the Devils' team captain... Number 666... Lucifer "The Beast" Saaataaaaan!!!"

Evil_monster

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I remember a lad I was in school with had 666 shaved into his hair.

The teacher dragged him out of class and shaved him bald.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2013, 09:18 PM
How accepted is the 666 or 616 = Nero theory/belief among the Theists ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-11-2013, 09:46 PM
(07-11-2013 05:48 PM)Free Wrote:  From my studies, the Book of Revelation is nothing less than a Gnostic manuscript. In fact, it is so similar to the Gnostic school of thought that it cannot be anything else.

Now, in the Gnostic school of thought, the number 6 refers to mankind, and 7 refers to the higher entity known as God. The Gnostics viewed a person as having 3 entities associated with their being:

1. Body
2. Soul
3. Spirit

Each separate entity is a number 6 hence; 6 and 6 and 6.

In my opinion, the quote in Revelation should read as follows:

"Here is knowledge. Let him that has understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of mankind; and his number is 6 and 6 and 6."

But ... you know ... whatever. Hobo

The relevant verse is
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.(Revelation 13:18)

The Book of Revelation was originally in Koine Greek so if you can read Greek you can check the translation.

[Image: 2qn2nhz.png]

Koine Greek had no digits, they used letters of the alphabet to denote numbers like this:

[Image: image043.jpg]

The Greek says there is one number not three as you suggested and that is 666(=600+60+6). If there were three 6s the text wouldn't use the singular arrithmos (number) and the there would be three C characters for each of the 6s each separated by KAI (and). But neither is the case so your interpretation is without basis. There is absolutely no way you can extract the meaning you have from the Koine Greek.

Some versions of the manuscript have the number as 616 but none have it as 6 6 6 or 6 1 6 (C C C/ C KAI C KAI C/C A C/C KAI A KAI C) and they all use the singular word for number.

My understanding is the 666/616 denotes Nero.
10-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Another source:

[Image: 5a3jpy.jpg]

@Free, I challenge you to find me one original Koine Greek manuscript of Revelation that supports your weirdo interpretation. Where did you read the nonsense you are spreading?
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 05:02 PM by Free.)
(10-11-2013 10:18 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Another source:

[Image: 5a3jpy.jpg]

@Free, I challenge you to find me one original Koine Greek manuscript of Revelation that supports your weirdo interpretation. Where did you read the nonsense you are spreading?

You need to "relax."

I did not say, nor imply, that the literal translation of "six hundred and sixty six" was inaccurate. I specifically was referring to Gnostic interpretation, and clearly implied that according to my understanding of how early Gnostics understood things, hence:

Free Wrote:In my opinion, the quote in Revelation should read as follows

I was not talking about the literal translation, but how it should be`"read" (understood) from a Gnostic perspective.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
11-11-2013, 01:08 PM
In Hebrew numerology, 3 represents "completeness" or fullness" and 6 represents "man" or the "flesh".

666 is the fullness of sin aka fullness of man aka fullness of the flesh.

Revelation was written in Apocalyptic language which is filled with numerology, metaphors, allegories, and symbols.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
11-11-2013, 01:15 PM
(11-11-2013 01:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  In Hebrew numerology, 3 represents "completeness" or fullness" and 6 represents "man" or the "flesh".

666 is the fullness of sin aka fullness of man aka fullness of the flesh.

Revelation was written in Apocalyptic language which is filled with numerology, metaphors, allegories, and symbols.

Agreed, and it's almost identical in style to the numerous Gnostic manuscripts I have studied over the past decade or so.