7 Earth-like planets found

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 06:35 AM
RE: 7 Earth-like planets found
A magnetic field really helps with keeping anything alive, otherwise harmful radiation could kill off life as we know it.

Of course that may not prevent other forms of life from developing.

At less than 40 light years, any advanced civilization could be watching many of my childhood TV favorites.

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
23-02-2017, 07:34 AM
And one more link from Space.com with a short video explaining the system.

http://www.space.com/35803-trappist-1-pl...-life.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Question: Has Trump banned immigration from these planets yet? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-02-2017, 09:02 AM
NASA sees what's coming

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
24-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Does every thread have to have a reference to Trump in it?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
24-02-2017, 01:09 PM
(24-02-2017 01:08 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Does every thread have to have a reference to Trump in it?

I think that was one of his executive orders

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
24-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Well. There probably isn't life. But at least it's close. So if there is life against all odds, and we feel like visiting it, we just have to figure out how to travel at light speed and how to entertain astronauts for 40 years.
Solar sail and beer.
Live long and prosper

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
24-02-2017, 03:47 PM
(24-02-2017 02:59 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  Well. There probably isn't life. But at least it's close. So if there is life against all odds, and we feel like visiting it, we just have to figure out how to travel at light speed and how to entertain astronauts for 40 years.
Solar sail and beer.
Live long and prosper

I find the definition of what constitutes life to be tenuous at best. It could be because we might be trying to define something more widespread and diverse from a sample of just one. It could be that some "life" actually requires in an environment with the kind of stellar-flares that are said to be unfriendly to our kind of life and is common around red dwarfs.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
24-02-2017, 03:56 PM
(24-02-2017 03:47 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(24-02-2017 02:59 PM)LadyDay Wrote:  Well. There probably isn't life. But at least it's close. So if there is life against all odds, and we feel like visiting it, we just have to figure out how to travel at light speed and how to entertain astronauts for 40 years.
Solar sail and beer.
Live long and prosper

I find the definition of what constitutes life to be tenuous at best. It could be because we might be trying to define something more widespread and diverse from a sample of just one. It could be that some "life" actually requires in an environment with the kind of stellar-flares that are said to be unfriendly to our kind of life and is common around red dwarfs.

The definition of life is of course made based on what we observe here on our planet. And even then isn't clear cut. But we need a definition to decide what to look for. And "life that is so different from what we think of as life that we likely wouldn't recognize it as life" isn't something we know how to look for. So we search for liquid water among other things instead. We are but human.
So to phrase myself differently: "If there is something there that we really want to visit, at least it's close".
Big Grin

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
24-02-2017, 05:09 PM
There might even be something that eats solar flares. We have worms that "eat" hydrogen sulfide, after all. It will kill you if you try that.