76% of Amuuricans believe in God. We are SO PHUCKED.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: 76% of Amuuricans believe in God. We are SO PHUCKED.
(28-10-2013 02:46 PM)Heathen Wrote:  We know that not all of you are crazy. Certainly not that vast majority of those here. But the majority of US residents certainly seem to be. When a US President tells the world that he had a personal conversation with God, who told him to go to war, it does tend to frighten the rest of us out here. The OP just posted an interesting poll and seems concerned about what the futures hold for the USofA. My take on this is that the rest of the world (1st world democracies) are pretty damn concerned about what it holds for us too.
Yeah I can understand that. I'm a bit concerned tooTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
28-10-2013, 02:56 PM
(28-10-2013 02:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What about us crazy Americans who don't happen to have invisible telepathic superfriends?

Weeping

We love you! <3

And we're counting on you.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
28-10-2013, 02:59 PM
(28-10-2013 02:54 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:46 PM)Heathen Wrote:  We know that not all of you are crazy. Certainly not that vast majority of those here. But the majority of US residents certainly seem to be. When a US President tells the world that he had a personal conversation with God, who told him to go to war, it does tend to frighten the rest of us out here. The OP just posted an interesting poll and seems concerned about what the futures hold for the USofA. My take on this is that the rest of the world (1st world democracies) are pretty damn concerned about what it holds for us too.
Yeah I can understand that. I'm a bit concerned tooTongue It's those fundies you have to worry about. The rest are pretty low key, they don't exactly subscribe to any of that bullshit. Its all personal relationship with god, makes them feel better. I wouldn't say it takes a great effect on their work. Well..here in the northeast anyway.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-10-2013, 03:20 PM
(28-10-2013 02:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 01:57 PM)Hypatia Wrote:  Weep.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/poll-76-be...le/2537977

Consider the source. The Washington Examiner is roughly the equivalent of the British Daily Mail.

Precisely. And I can totally agree with you. So I am asking you to consider the READERS.

Knuckle draggers who read the Daily Mail are the unwashed, more ignorant than they realize masses in the UK; so too are the Examiner readers stateside, as you correctly noted.

BUT>>>> they are also the weighty middle 70% that Washington panders to in any given election season.

It is a political constant that 15% on either end of the pendulum are considered "extremists" (entrenched activists for their cause), Right or Left. Its that intellectually lazy 70% or so in the middle who can be convinced of anything so duly wrapped in a warm blanket and served with a side of sugar coated bliss.

THOSE are precisely the ass-bots from Hooterville, USA that we freethinkers have to worry about.

The hordes that John McCain was so certain he needed to boost him over the fence that he grudgingly hoisted that plastic Pentecostal up to share the platform with his moderate, wrinkled ass. That same jiggly swath that corn pone Jimmah Carter appealed to in of all places---IOWA??!!---and swept the Democrat Primaries.

If 3-4% is the margin of error in most any given poll....that leaves roughly 73% of the cream filled center of Amuurica either dragging ass to a god-box every Sunday or feeling damn guilty if they aren't. They operate heavy machinery, they reproduce at an alarming rate....and unfuckingfortunately....THEY VOTE.

So yeah, I weep.
28-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Still far too many stupid asses in this country running around with their jesus shit but, things are improving.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14...77031.html

Got to allow some time for these old dumb white cocksuckers in the south to die off.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
28-10-2013, 03:31 PM
(28-10-2013 02:56 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What about us crazy Americans who don't happen to have invisible telepathic superfriends?

Weeping

We love you! <3

Good, because uh... some of us might need to emigrate. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-10-2013, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 03:46 PM by Heathen.)
Hypatia;

You and I pretty much do agree but....

I don't know who the readers of The Washington Examiner are but the numbers are pretty much in line with scores of other polls out there.

You said that "It is a political constant that 15% on either end of the pendulum are considered "extremists" and I don't dispute that but only in the sample for a given poll. What I mean is that if you ask the same question in other 1st world democracies, the US numbers are way out of whack.

[Disclaimer] I hope I'm not coming off as anti-American here. I've traveled a fair bit there, have friends there, and admire many things about the US. If was was going to build the perfect country, I'd borrow many ideas from the US. But on an atheist forum it's inevitable that the things I disagree with in terms of the pervasiveness of religious views and their impact on US foreign policy and world affairs are going to come to the fore. But I do love you guys. Smile

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
28-10-2013, 03:44 PM
(28-10-2013 03:31 PM)kim Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:56 PM)Heathen Wrote:  We love you! <3

Good, because uh... some of us might need to emigrate. Wink

PM me if you're really interested. I have connections. Wink