7th Day Flirts with Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
RE: 7th Day Flirts with Atheism
Ok I wrote to him and invited him here.
http://www.ryanjbell.net/contact/

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
04-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I don't really understand what he hopes to gain from it... Does want to test his faith and see if it can be shaken, does he have doubts he wants to explore, or does he just want to get a better understanding of why we don't believe?

I can't see any real point to pretending to be an atheist for a year.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
(04-01-2014 10:18 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  I don't really understand what he hopes to gain from it... Does want to test his faith and see if it can be shaken, does he have doubts he wants to explore, or does he just want to get a better understanding of why we don't believe?

I can't see any real point to pretending to be an atheist for a year.

I read what he said and I'm going to take his word that he's trying to be legit. Now, if he comes HERE (he is invited here) and proves he's a liar - well then you'll have more to go on - eh?
Media stunt? I wouldn't put that past anyone. But I'm pretty much for giving folks the benefit of a doubt (believers AND non-believers) till I get to know them better to read them more earnestly and honestly.
Lots of people have good intentions - or so they think. Rooting out someone's motivation is sometimes even a surprise to them too.

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
04-01-2014, 10:36 AM
I like. The PR is probably gobbled up by his church members, and may allow some to come out.

We have a lot of young people here, and they don't seem to know that there are a blue zillion closet atheists out there.

They need to be encouraged, not shunned. It's a lot like when gays started coming out - most stayed closeted until the numbers of those who came out got bigger and bigger.

It's the same with atheists. You probably know some closeted atheists yourself. They don't tell. They try not to think about it. They try to hide it even from themselves. But they don't believe.

Every one of them who takes a step out of the closet, however small the step may be, and however noncommittal it may be, is great progress.

I would love to welcome him here. Clap

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
(04-01-2014 09:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Edit: never mind. I wrote a whole response about Rob Bell, because I can't read.

LOL (hug) Robby.
You're alright. The world is nuts. Thumbsup

04-01-2014, 02:54 PM
omg wrong thread post
*eyes crossed*

04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
(04-01-2014 08:21 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  http://www.religionnews.com/2014/01/03/s...12-months/

[i]It’s an odd resolution for an ordained minister, former church pastor, teacher at two highly regarded Christian universities and church consultant. Yet for the next 12 months, Bell, 42, plans to refrain from praying, reading the Bible and thinking about God at all.

Instead, he will read atheist authors, attend atheist gatherings and seek out conversation and companionship with unbelievers. He wants to “do whatever I can to enter the world of atheism and live, for a year, as an atheist.”

Interesting. Makes little sense as a PR stunt or anything similar. There'd be too much chance for some of his followers to follow in his footsteps and that wouldn't be an acceptable risk for a theist. I'll assume that he's legit unless he demonstrates otherwise.

Quote:But so far, it has also been about loss. Since announcing his plans, Bell has been asked to resign from both of his teaching positions and lost a consulting job. In the months before his decision to, as he put it, “try on” atheism, his health and his family relationships suffered too.

How very Christian of them. <Need an emoticon for :spits:>
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
09-01-2014, 01:39 AM
For the sake of unity:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid462299
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid460423

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post