8:42 - The asshole is alive and in custody.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 07:42 PM
RE: 8:42 - The asshole is alive and in custody.
(19-04-2013 07:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I still think Boston failed to provide a secure environment.
No one should have been allowed to bring in backpacks and leave them sitting where they were put. Boston officials have some responsibilityn here. Not very PC to say, but it's my opinion. Didn't the 9/11 highjackers get on their planes at Logan airport ? What's wrong with Boston ? Why don't they take security seriously ?

The US fails to take security seriously. Everyone can walk around with a gun.
Even the nuts. Security in the US is nothing what it needs to be, obviously.

Im not sure this post is joking or not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 08:15 PM
(19-04-2013 07:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 07:17 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  A decision from the court. Even though it's pretty apparent. We as a society need to remember what a angry mob of villagers can do, and what mistakes they make.

I don't want to be an irrational villager.

I'm neither convicting or lynching him - just answering the question.

See my hands? No pitchfork, no torch.

I respect that.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
19-04-2013, 08:16 PM
(19-04-2013 07:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I still think Boston failed to provide a secure environment.
Boston officials have some responsibility here.
The US fails to take security seriously.

Modern day 'bibles' like ISO27000 point out that execution of Security Policy is everyone's responsibility.

So if by 'US' you mean 'we, the people', then yes, it appears so.

There are some officials that are 'accountable' for Security and it will be interesting to see whether anyone stands up to admit culpability for the failure here.

19-04-2013, 08:16 PM
No one should have been allowed to bring in backpacks and leave them sitting where they were put. Boston officials have some responsibilityn here. Not very PC to say, but it's my opinion. Didn't the 9/11 highjackers get on their planes at Logan airport ? What's wrong with Boston ? Why don't they take security seriously ?

I dunno Bucky, how do you propose you cordon off 26.2 miles of downtown Boston?

Our best bet is information gathering as one of the keys in preventing attacks like this one because the physical logistics of cordoning off an event like the Boston marathon is not realistic.

I once stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon listening to a Park Ranger tell us that every year a few dozen people slipped and plunged to their deaths. It was suggested that a fence be erected around the canyon to keep this from happening again...Shocking

I don't think you can prevent everyone from falling off the edge anymore than you can prevent all home-grown terror attacks, the logistics are insurmountable.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
19-04-2013, 08:31 PM
(19-04-2013 08:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Our best bet is information gathering as one of the keys in preventing attacks like this one because the physical logistics of cordoning off an event like the Boston marathon is not realistic.

I once stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon listening to a Park Ranger tell us that every year a few dozen people slipped and plunged to their deaths. It was suggested that a fence be erected around the canyon to keep this from happening again...Shocking

I don't think you can prevent everyone from falling off the edge anymore than you can prevent all home-grown terror attacks, the logistics are insurmountable.

I agree.

As a small boy, I too stood at the edge of the grand canyon. My dad came up behind me and swooped me up out over the edge.

I've never peed my pants so suddenly in my life. Sad

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
19-04-2013, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 08:38 PM by fstratzero.)
(19-04-2013 08:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

More often than not the motivation for mass killings are some really stupid idea, perceived repression, or some psychological problems. Addressing those issues would prevent things like this, but you can't get help to everybody all the time. Eventually somebody somewhere will lose his mind and kill people.

So maybe the better thing is think about the question. Find out what questions to ask, or simply throw out some throw away ideas to prevent things like this until you find a solution, like...

Better mental health care in the United States.
Critical Thinking classes in High School.
Etc..

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-04-2013, 08:36 PM
(19-04-2013 08:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I don't think you can prevent everyone from falling off the edge anymore than you can prevent all home-grown terror attacks, the logistics are insurmountable.

A free society is going to be vulnerable to attacks like this. We can make it safer at the expense of our freedom. Its a tradeoff. Unless bombings like this become everyday events I don't see the need to make the trade.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
19-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Why is it always really young guys in the prime of their lives with bright futures that do this shit?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
19-04-2013, 08:40 PM
(19-04-2013 08:36 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 08:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I don't think you can prevent everyone from falling off the edge anymore than you can prevent all home-grown terror attacks, the logistics are insurmountable.

A free society is going to be vulnerable to attacks like this. We can make it safer at the expense of our freedom. Its a tradeoff. Unless bombings like this become everyday events I don't see the need to make the trade.

I just offered some solutions for prevent that do not infringe on peoples freedoms. Tongue

You have to think about what you can do with freedoms in mind. Not all security solutions involve creating an environment like one described in 1984.

-Baron d'Holbach-
19-04-2013, 08:40 PM
(19-04-2013 08:36 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
We can make it safer at the expense of our freedom. Its a tradeoff. Unless bombings like this become everyday events I don't see the need to make the trade.

Nope.

It's not an 'either / or'.

Perhaps the US has too many vigilantes and not enough vigilance.

Security is everyone's responsibility. More caution not more control.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post