8:42 - The asshole is alive and in custody.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 08:42 PM
RE: 8:42 - The asshole is alive and in custody.
(19-04-2013 08:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why is it always really young guys in the prime of their lives with bright futures that do this shit?

Good question. Of course, if anyone is going to do anything that will make an impact, good or bad, those in their prime will be more apt to do it. Younger people will hesitate, older much more likely to not give a fuck as much.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
19-04-2013, 08:45 PM
http://www.ktvu.com/ap/ap/international/...ton/nXQym/

Yea just posted it in another thread....

He (or his brother or I dunno I'm busy cooking dinner) said something about the US using the bible to invade other countries.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

19-04-2013, 08:53 PM
(19-04-2013 08:40 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 08:36 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A free society is going to be vulnerable to attacks like this. We can make it safer at the expense of our freedom. Its a tradeoff. Unless bombings like this become everyday events I don't see the need to make the trade.

I just offered some solutions for prevent that do not infringe on peoples freedoms. Tongue

You have to think about what you can do with freedoms in mind. Not all security solutions involve creating an environment like one described in 1984.

Those things you mentioned cost money. That money ultimately comes from the people. When the government takes money away from people it is a limiting a persons freedom. I was free to spend $100 anyway I want but because of tax I am now only free to spend $50.

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 149
19-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I vote for crucifixion...

let the crows eat.

I Heart Qualia Soup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Weeeeee_Zard's post
19-04-2013, 09:08 PM
(19-04-2013 08:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why is it always really young guys in the prime of their lives with bright futures that do this shit?

Perhaps it has something to do with the late development of the amygdala. Generally, it's not fully formed until age 18-24. That's why teenage and young men tend to do really stupid things (see Jackass, or most YouTube videos with the word "fail").

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
19-04-2013, 09:12 PM
(19-04-2013 07:25 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 07:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I still think Boston failed to provide a secure environment.
No one should have been allowed to bring in backpacks and leave them sitting where they were put. Boston officials have some responsibilityn here. Not very PC to say, but it's my opinion. Didn't the 9/11 highjackers get on their planes at Logan airport ? What's wrong with Boston ? Why don't they take security seriously ?

The US fails to take security seriously. Everyone can walk around with a gun.
Even the nuts. Security in the US is nothing what it needs to be, obviously.

I'm not sure that such a thing as covering a marathon, especially with such a open outdoor environment, is an easy thing to do. Lots of people in a sports environment are going to have backpacks, bags, and different assortment of gear. It would be hard ( to say the least) to keep track of who left what where and why.

No it isn't. Just say "No bags and back packs beyond here". Have a secure environment for the start and the finish. ANd a security/metal detecor everyone walks through. Very simple.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
19-04-2013, 09:13 PM
(19-04-2013 08:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 07:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I still think Boston failed to provide a secure environment.
No one should have been allowed to bring in backpacks and leave them sitting where they were put. Boston officials have some responsibilityn here. Not very PC to say, but it's my opinion. Didn't the 9/11 highjackers get on their planes at Logan airport ? What's wrong with Boston ? Why don't they take security seriously ?

The US fails to take security seriously. Everyone can walk around with a gun.
Even the nuts. Security in the US is nothing what it needs to be, obviously.

I dunno Bucky, how do you propose you cordon off 26.2 miles of downtown Boston?

Our best bet is information gathering as one of the keys in preventing attacks like this one because the physical logistics of cordoning off an event like the Boston marathon is not realistic.

I once stood on the edge of the Grand Canyon listening to a Park Ranger tell us that every year a few dozen people slipped and plunged to their deaths. It was suggested that a fence be erected around the canyon to keep this from happening again...Shocking

I don't think you can prevent everyone from falling off the edge anymore than you can prevent all home-grown terror attacks, the logistics are insurmountable.

Baloney. They can start and end in a stadium, very easily.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-04-2013, 09:17 PM
(19-04-2013 09:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Baloney. They can start and end in a stadium, very easily.

What about the 25 intervening miles?

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
19-04-2013, 09:19 PM
(19-04-2013 09:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 07:25 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I'm not sure that such a thing as covering a marathon, especially with such a open outdoor environment, is an easy thing to do. Lots of people in a sports environment are going to have backpacks, bags, and different assortment of gear. It would be hard ( to say the least) to keep track of who left what where and why.

No it isn't. Just say "No bags and back packs beyond here". Have a secure environment for the start and the finish. ANd a security/metal detecor everyone walks through. Very simple.

Maybe man those metal detectors with TSA agents to grope your junk.

Your not going to get a way with seperating women from their purses.

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 149
19-04-2013, 09:29 PM
(19-04-2013 08:53 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 08:40 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I just offered some solutions for prevent that do not infringe on peoples freedoms. Tongue

You have to think about what you can do with freedoms in mind. Not all security solutions involve creating an environment like one described in 1984.

Those things you mentioned cost money. That money ultimately comes from the people. When the government takes money away from people it is a limiting a persons freedom. I was free to spend $100 anyway I want but because of tax I am now only free to spend $50.

Everything costs money, but again you are thinking about the government paying for it, or the government growing in size.

Which isn't necessarily true. There are other ways of getting money to support these things. People do charities all the time, and use that money to support their causes.

You have to start thinking out side of the box. Not all atheists are democrats, conservatives, liberals etc. We all have our own political ideas.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp