$800+ Million Lottery - What Would You Do If You Won?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: $800+ Million Lottery - What Would You Do If You Won?
Is winner's identity a matter of public record or can the winner have it kept secret?

It occurs to me that a person who suddenly becomes that wealthy would be subject to extortion, e.g., a target for kidnapping or blackmail. One thing that I would consider is hiring bodyguards, hopefully from a reputable company.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
13-01-2016, 09:31 PM
(13-01-2016 09:29 PM)f stop Wrote:  Is winner's identity a matter of public record or can the winner have it kept secret?

It occurs to me that a person who suddenly becomes that wealthy would be subject to extortion, e.g., a target for kidnapping or blackmail. One thing that I would consider is hiring bodyguards, hopefully from a reputable company.

It's not only public, but by accepting the prize money you also sign a contract giving them the right to use you for advertising purposes.

'Murican Canadian
13-01-2016, 09:38 PM
(13-01-2016 09:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 09:29 PM)f stop Wrote:  Is winner's identity a matter of public record or can the winner have it kept secret?

It's not only public, but by accepting the prize money you also sign a contract giving them the right to use you for advertising purposes.

That's state by state. Some states protect their residents by having a law that says they can claim the money anonymously. Others you can go though your lawyers and let them claim it for you but there are legal things you have to do first to do that. Not sure what thy are, they might be giving your lawyer a power of attorney.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
13-01-2016, 09:41 PM
(13-01-2016 09:38 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 09:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It's not only public, but by accepting the prize money you also sign a contract giving them the right to use you for advertising purposes.

That's state by state. Some states protect their residents by having a law that says they can claim the money anonymously. Others you can go though your lawyers and let them claim it for you but there are legal things you have to do first to do that. Not sure what thy are, they might be giving your lawyer a power of attorney.

I'd probably go along for the whole ride either way. I'd be the next Kardashian and use every available opportunity to say random stupid shit in front of the world.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-01-2016, 10:31 PM
(13-01-2016 09:41 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 09:38 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  That's state by state. Some states protect their residents by having a law that says they can claim the money anonymously. Others you can go though your lawyers and let them claim it for you but there are legal things you have to do first to do that. Not sure what thy are, they might be giving your lawyer a power of attorney.

I'd probably go along for the whole ride either way. I'd be the next Kardashian and use every available opportunity to say random stupid shit in front of the world.

Wow, who knew I was Kardashian. I say random stupid shit all the time., haven't you noticed? Hobo

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
14-01-2016, 04:03 AM
I don't at all understand the whole thrill with masses of people partying up and taking out their phones to take pictures of the store where a winning ticket was sold. I just don't Huh

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-01-2016, 04:32 AM
(13-01-2016 10:31 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 09:41 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'd probably go along for the whole ride either way. I'd be the next Kardashian and use every available opportunity to say random stupid shit in front of the world.

Wow, who knew I was Kardashian. I say random stupid shit all the time., haven't you noticed? Hobo

Back of the queue darlin', I wuz here first!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-01-2016, 09:09 AM
(14-01-2016 04:03 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't at all understand the whole thrill with masses of people partying up and taking out their phones to take pictures of the store where a winning ticket was sold. I just don't Huh

The vast majority of Americans are a pretty stupid lot. This makes as much sense as anything else I see around here.
14-01-2016, 04:18 PM
I won. I won. Oh wait. This goes in the "Last Person to Post" thread.
Never mind.

Don't tell Leo.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-01-2016, 04:26 PM
I think three people won today. From reading some of the lottery stories of people going through 14 million dollars in one year and ending up flipping burgers, it seems that one needs to have a budget and set some spending limits...even with millions of dollars. To the three winners of today's lottery, this isn't a bottomless pit of money.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.