$800+ Million Lottery - What Would You Do If You Won?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2016, 07:50 PM
RE: $800+ Million Lottery - What Would You Do If You Won?
(10-01-2016 07:32 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  TTAF conference on Vancouver Island. Complimentary plane tickets for all.

Your island may become quite populated with people who never want to leave. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Well, with the first $5K I'd pay off the mortgage and this month's credit card bill. (Yes, I really am that close to paying off the house! Only about 6 months to go.)

Then I'd top up My collection of musical instruments by adding a tenor sax, an E flat sopranino clarinet, a bass clarinet, an oboe and a double French horn (and get lessons in the latter two instruments).

I'd give My Corolla to a friend and get a newer (but probably not brand-new) one. In red.

Probably swing by the Liquor Commission and pick up a nice bottle of Scotch. Just one. I don't drink it that fast.

Then, after getting some financial advice and stashing a good chunk of the money away in a trust to provide for family and friends in perpetuity, I'd start looking for charities that could benefit from some extra cash: Medical research foundations at local hospitals; arts organizations; resources for the homeless, for people trying to rebuild after leaving abusive relationships, animal shelters, and perhaps a few educational organizations.

Finally, I'd hire an architect and design one kick-ass multipurpose building, with comfy seats, drop-dead-gorgeous acoustics, state-of-the-art sound and lighting system, and lots and lots of free parking, where community bands and theatre groups and the like can rehearse and perform. (I might even let 'em name it after Me, although all I really want is a place to hang out on Wednesday night with My bandmates. How does "The Odinsdóttir Centre for the Performing Arts" sound? Cool )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
10-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Are you buying a ticket?
After determining the average return per dollar and coming to the conclusion that lottery is more a tax on people who are bad at math than a rational investment, I decided I was eligible to skip this tax Tongue

What would you do if you won?
But if I did but and win, hypothetically speaking...
I'd still stay in the military, though I'd probably be more active since I wouldn't have to be as focused on my civilian career. I'd build my dream cabin, most likely on the same property I just recently got. Beyond that, I don't even know. I'm not gonna deny that having a steady, modest paycheck makes things easier, but most of the things I enjoy doing aren't expensive.

How do you think your life would change.... better or no? Why?

I'd probably still be just as grumpy from chronic restlessness and sexual frustration. Money or not, I just want another deployment and the chance to go out doing something entertaining.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Now it is up past 1.3 billion. The biggest lottery ever in the world! Can we buy tickets online? When is the drawing?
10-01-2016, 11:30 PM
I'd use it all to pay my health insurance this month.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
11-01-2016, 02:46 PM
(10-01-2016 11:30 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'd use it all to pay my health insurance this month.

Why not just buy your own hospital???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Make sure my baby is set for life (college funds, etc) a house (possibly a hobbit hole Wink teehee )a car that has more room for a carseat. (You haven't lived till you have to move your baby in and out of a 2 door sports car lol)

I'd also get mom's house fixed up and her car and pay to get her back fixed.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-01-2016, 03:47 PM
I would definitely build Bag End. At least on the top of a hill. The underground bits, don't ask. Sleepy
11-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Even though, like EK, I understand statistics -- and therefore know how unlikely it is that I would ever win -- I buy one (and only one) ticket after each drawing, which means twice a week. Because you never know. I do not buy any extra tickets when the prize is big like it is now.

I am actually pretty sure that winning a large amount of money would be more likely to ruin my life than make it better, so my best bet (in several ways) would be to never buy another ticket. But I still do. I have never claimed that every one of my actions is perfectly rational. That is the goal, not the reality.

What would I do if I win? I will jump off that bridge when and if I get to it.
11-01-2016, 04:08 PM
320,000,000 people in the US,
est 246,400,000 adults,
with a payout after taxes of 600,000,000
you could give every adult 1M and still have
354,000,000 for yourself.

If you narrowed that to every adult making less than 300K yearly the payout to them would be even less (why give the rich any more).

Wow, what a cool thing to do, give every non-rich adult in America a million dollars. What do you think would happen to work/jobs/economy? It could get really wild for a while. Can you imagine if only half the people in America quit working. Shocking

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]