81 Year old Atheist now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2012, 09:40 AM
81 Year old Atheist now
It took time and a long talk with my mother, but she has seen the truth about the mythology of religion and what she believed all her life.This took years and lots of understanding with her. I never tried to make her feel foolish but showed her how it slapped in the face of science. I knew she was a strong believer in evolution and science. We would watch shows on TV that would punch holes in what the church taught her. Finely she told me she could no longer believe in God. I am so happy today!!! To know she used her mind instead of being scared of what will happen at the end of her life. What a strong woman.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
28-04-2012, 10:08 AM
RE: 81 Year old Atheist now
Praise the Lord!

I mean...That's awesome! What great news!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
28-04-2012, 10:12 AM
(28-04-2012 10:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Praise the Lord!

I mean...That's awesome! What great news!
I thought so! It only took 20 years. She was a hard line Catholic.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
28-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Good for her! Quite an accomplishment at her age. And I don't mean at all because she is up there in the years, I mean because of the generation she grew up in.

Times were very different then, and it is wonderful to see the immense growth she has gone through over the years.

Give her a big hug for me.

Worship Slaves

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-04-2012, 02:06 PM
that's awesome! but it must be hard, she may feel old and the fear of death may be strong so she'll need all the support she can get, you should be with her with this.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
28-04-2012, 02:11 PM
(28-04-2012 01:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  Good for her! Quite an accomplishment at her age. And I don't mean at all because she is up there in the years, I mean because of the generation she grew up in.

Times were very different then, and it is wonderful to see the immense growth she has gone through over the years.

Worship Slaves
It did take her a long time to break them chains. It was a shock when I heard them words come out of her mouth. Only time will tell if she don't go the the church on X-mas or Easter. That will be the big test. I wont say a word if she does. It would be more like getting together with all of her friends.I believe that has been the way it has been for the last few years without her saying anything. She loves the show Ted. My mom reads a book every day. I think she is pretty sharp for her age. It's a shame she didn't have a chance to go to collage. She was very poor and had to raise her sister up. Her mother died very young and her father ran off. My mom took over at 17 years old. She could have been so much more. I have so much respect for her. I would crawl through broken glass to help her. I would go without food so she could eat. Their is nothing I wouldn't do for my mother. I guess I am from the old school about such things. I am proud of her no matter what she believes.

28-04-2012, 02:22 PM
(28-04-2012 02:11 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  
(28-04-2012 01:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  Good for her! Quite an accomplishment at her age. And I don't mean at all because she is up there in the years, I mean because of the generation she grew up in.

Worship Slaves

It did take her a long time to break them chains. It was a shock when I heard them words come out of her mouth. Only time will tell if she don't go the the church on X-mas or Easter. That will be the big test. I wont say a word if she does. It would be more like getting together with all of her friends.I believe that has been the way it has been for the last few years without her saying anything. She loves the show Ted. My mom reads a book every day. I think she is pretty sharp for her age. It's a shame she didn't have a chance to go to collage. She was very poor and had to raise her sister up. Her mother died very young and her father ran off. My mom took over at 17 years old. She could have been so much more. I have so much respect for her. I would crawl through broken glass to help her. I would go without food so she could eat. Their is nothing I wouldn't do for my mother. I guess I am from the old school about such things. I am proud of her no matter what she believes.

My mom was atheist and she loved to go to midnight mass on christmas. She loved the choir music.

No reason your mom has to abandon all old favorites. You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I like going into old churches in europe. The architecture and art is remarkable. And I like the peace and quiet - you can be in the middle of the noisiest city on earth and you enter a church and everything is peaceful and serene. Nothing wrong with taking a breather there.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-04-2012, 03:01 PM
(28-04-2012 02:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-04-2012 02:11 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  It did take her a long time to break them chains. It was a shock when I heard them words come out of her mouth. Only time will tell if she don't go the the church on X-mas or Easter. That will be the big test. I wont say a word if she does. It would be more like getting together with all of her friends.I believe that has been the way it has been for the last few years without her saying anything. She loves the show Ted. My mom reads a book every day. I think she is pretty sharp for her age. It's a shame she didn't have a chance to go to collage. She was very poor and had to raise her sister up. Her mother died very young and her father ran off. My mom took over at 17 years old. She could have been so much more. I have so much respect for her. I would crawl through broken glass to help her. I would go without food so she could eat. Their is nothing I wouldn't do for my mother. I guess I am from the old school about such things. I am proud of her no matter what she believes.

My mom was atheist and she loved to go to midnight mass on christmas. She loved the choir music.

No reason your mom has to abandon all old favorites. You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I like going into old churches in europe. The architecture and art is remarkable. And I like the peace and quiet - you can be in the middle of the noisiest city on earth and you enter a church and everything is peaceful and serene. Nothing wrong with taking a breather there.
I couldn't agree more. I loved the architecture Yorks church's. I have some great pictures of the stone work and stained glass.

28-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Well, I mean, an eternity, of God knows what?...........based on that we know.............now that's really scary !

Sticks and stones may break my bones
but names will never hurt me~~~~~
Cooyon WillieLaughat