9,000th post ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 11:25 AM
RE: 9,000th post ...
Congrats on the milestone!

You gave me my first rep point.

I've earned a few more since then. Smartass

Thanks for starting it off and making me feel welcome.

I'll buy you a drink when I see ya! Thumbsup

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
28-04-2014, 11:33 AM
(28-04-2014 11:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 03:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Hey, what?

I think I've been reasonably generous ... but if I have missed anyone ... that can be rectified.

Just submit a Business Case; nothing fancy, powerpoint will do.

Drinking Beverage

You repped me over two years ago; it's pretty stale.

Good point, well made.

You are definitely showing potential and that should be acknowledged.

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-04-2014, 11:36 AM
(28-04-2014 11:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 11:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  You repped me over two years ago; it's pretty stale.

Good point, well made.

You are definitely showing potential and that should be acknowledged.

Angel

Telling Chas he shows "potential" sounds........um........kinda bad. I'm fairly sure you didn't mean it to sound bad, tho.

Drinking Beverage

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
28-04-2014, 11:43 AM
(28-04-2014 11:25 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Congrats on the milestone!

You gave me my first rep point.

I've earned a few more since then. Smartass

Thanks for starting it off and making me feel welcome.

I'll buy you a drink when I see ya! Thumbsup

Yerr-Ron. Mine's a pint (of Kahlua).

And to return the compliment, I love what you do in the Personal Issues and Support section.

In fact, all the (mainly ladies) who reach out so empathetically in that section ... nah... I'll stop there or I'll have my membership revoked.
[Image: Officialmancard-DawnOfTheAuthenticManCard581-581.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-04-2014, 05:41 PM
(27-04-2014 04:16 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 04:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The apology goes to those of you to whom from me you received your first +rep.
(yes, Vos, that sentence is grammatically correct)
Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean it's not ugly from an aesthetic point of view. Dodgy

I'm not sure it could feel any more strained. Why not "The apology goes to those of you who received your first +rep from me."? Just to dick with the Kraut? ... The fucking Kraut scares me with his knowledge of my mother tongue.

(27-04-2014 04:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Other than that, I thought that I would mention that I'm thinking about actually doing something useful and applying my knowledge of best practices to do a review of what we do here from the angle of the TTA forum being an IT service.

It's mainly for fun i.e. my own personal amusement but if you start seeing the occasional odd post relating to, I dunno, Service Metrics or RACI charts, you'll know where it's coming from.

Not sure anyone else will be interested but I sure as shit am. I'm a shitty team leader. Only thing that saves my sorry ass is I have an exceptional team loyal to me for some unknown fucking reason. As I approach the end of my career as a programmer I find myself in the role of advice and consent and documenting their efforts (they don't get credit unless it's documented and they, like me, just want to code motherfucker code!). The only fun I have anymore is when they need help debugging. I'm still a better diagnostician, but that's about all.

#sigh
29-04-2014, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2014 07:47 PM by DLJ.)
(29-04-2014 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
Just to dick with the Kraut?

Thumbsup
One takes pleasure where one can find it.

(29-04-2014 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
Not sure anyone else will be interested but I sure as shit am. I'm a shitty team leader. Only thing that saves my sorry ass is I have an exceptional team loyal to me for some unknown fucking reason. As I approach the end of my career as a programmer I find myself in the role of advice and consent and documenting their efforts (they don't get credit unless it's documented and they, like me, just want to code motherfucker code!). The only fun I have anymore is when they need help debugging. I'm still a better diagnostician, but that's about all.

Back in the day, my team-leader-skills involved pretty much saying: "If you don't fuck up occasionally, you're not trying hard enough"

I've only been mod for a couple of weeks (and it's my first mod-job) so I'm conscious of that thing where a new person joins a team and is all "You're doing it wrong... we didn't do it like that in my last company" ... that attitude deserves the usual response of "Sure, but that's not how things are done around here".

At the same time, it's only when you're a newb and before you get embedded in a culture that you can see things from the outside perspective.

So I'm seeing dedicated and unpaid people who genuinely care trying to walk the tight-rope between managing vs. administrating.

Also, one has to make sure that a culture of continual improvement (a good thing for a growing social group) doesn't slip on the dangerous ground of social engineering.

Like any IT service, the two areas that are always best to look at first are Incidents/Requests and Changes .

So far, I think I'd give us a CMMI (maturity) rating of 1 for incidents and 2 for Changes.
Not great if we were a bank or an airline but not bad for what we are.

Example: I think our response times to reported posts, requests and technical incidents is very good (Deep is getting some stats when he has some spare time) but our quality of response is inconsistent.
Then again, sometimes the response time suffers when there are short internal discussions about how best to reply to some things (y'know, clearly stated reasons and not giving people the brush off).

Clear violation of rules are actually easier to deal with than when one person pisses off another person (which fortunately doesn't seem to happen very often).

On a real life Service Desk, we'd invest in auto-template acknowledgements and stuff like that "Thank you for contacting the Service Desk, you're report is important to us... blah blah" but we have no budget for anything like that and anyway it goes against the culture of the place which is all about being human.

Anyway, while I'm still new to this, I'm jotting down things as I think of them (or as other members point things out) e.g. do we have a process/policy for when you want to complain about a Mod? Or a SuperMod or an Admin? I don't think we do. What if I (as mod) want to complain about KC? How the fuck do I do that? Oh yeah! I PM him and tell him I hate him. That works. Laughat

Anyway, this is no way a formal review (that would be a $2000 per day consulting assignment) but it sure is interesting ...
... well maybe just for you and me Big Grin

29-04-2014, 07:46 PM
yabut, who are you?

seriously people, 4th page!

[Image: 4Q0otVG.jpg]

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 5 users Like nach_in's post
29-04-2014, 07:47 PM
DAMNIT DLJ!

Slow down! How am I supposed to catch up if you keep posting. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-04-2014, 07:52 PM
(29-04-2014 07:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  DAMNIT ...

Slow down! ...

I bet you say that to all the boys Dodgy
TongueHeart

29-04-2014, 07:55 PM
(29-04-2014 07:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 07:47 PM)Anjele Wrote:  DAMNIT ...

Slow down! ...

I bet you say that to all the boys Dodgy
TongueHeart

Only the ones that don't know better. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post