9/11: The Ultimate Con

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2011, 04:25 PM
RE: 9/11: The Ultimate Con
(26-12-2011 04:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I feel as if the Spirits of Christmas have moved me from The Thinking Atheist forum into some strange Mysterious Conspiracy Forum filled with whack job ultra fundies and their godless counterparts.

Consider the sources, my friend, consider the sources.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2011, 05:06 PM
(26-12-2011 04:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I feel as if the Spirits of Christmas have moved me from The Thinking Atheist forum into some strange Mysterious Conspiracy Forum filled with whack job ultra fundies and their godless counterparts.

Please dont think im singling you out in any way........just using your words as an example.

Talking of conspiracy broadly I have been labled with those names.....it seems to me that a lot of people are quick to label/judge without actually spending anytime doing there own research.

Makes me chuckle..........I dont mind the names at least im informed of ALL the possibilities and dont let certain "beliefs" close my mind off to certain ideas (much like religion-the moral of that story and experiences gained from it is sadly missed on some people)

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
Find all posts by this user
26-12-2011, 05:13 PM
(26-12-2011 05:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  

Please dont think im singling you out in any way........just using your words as an example.

Talking of conspiracy broadly I have been labled with those names.....it seems to me that a lot of people are quick to label/judge without actually spending anytime doing there own research.

Makes me chuckle..........I dont mind the names at least im informed of ALL the possibilities and dont let certain "beliefs" close my mind off to certain ideas (much like religion-the moral of that story and experiences gained from it is sadly missed on some people)

One should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that one's brain falls out.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-12-2011, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2011 05:20 PM by Erxomai.)
(26-12-2011 05:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  

Bemore, I wasn't really trying to single anyone out, except the ultra fundie whack jobs. I was just feeling a moment of exasperation. I like a good conspiracy theory now and then, I guess just now wasn't the time. Sorry about that. Carry on. Smile
(26-12-2011 05:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  One should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that one's brain falls out.

Sadly, I heard this a lot growing up in a different context.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-12-2011, 05:25 PM
(26-12-2011 05:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  One should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that one's brain falls out.

Where do you draw the line at open mindedness???
Using logic and your hardwired belief systems???
Just curious.

(26-12-2011 05:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bemore, I wasn't really trying to single anyone out, except the ultra fundie whack jobs. I was just feeling a moment of exasperation. I like a good conspiracy theory now and then, I guess just now wasn't the time. Sorry about that. Carry on. Smile

I know my friend.......Like I said before I was just using your words as an example Tongue

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
26-12-2011, 05:32 PM
(26-12-2011 05:25 PM)bemore Wrote:  

Where do you draw the line at open mindedness???
Using logic and your hardwired belief systems???
Just curious.

What 'hardwired belief systems' would those be?
Just curious.

26-12-2011, 05:51 PM
(26-12-2011 05:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  What 'hardwired belief systems' would those be?
Just curious.

Well its a massive subject to cover for consideration and I can only answer for myself you understand.

I suppose one example I could use is "god"........my "hard wired belief system" was indocrinated with this idea throughout my childhood into believing that such entity exists (even though my parents were not in the slightest religious and they taught me nothing about god, it all came from my state education)........even though there is no real scientific proof that god exists.

The "hard wired belief" I saw and was taught about racism...........how I used to be racist to people until one day I realised that I have never been actually harmed by any minority in particular......I had actually just picked up this hatred and was "following the herd"

The "hard wired belief" about money ............ how so many people have so much "faith" about who produces it, how it is regulated and the system (ponzi scheme) it operates under.

Jesus Jones
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
26-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Now that my anti-anxiety meds have kicked in and Bemore and I are buds again, I will put in my 2 cents and say I'm not much for the "Inside Job" theory, mainly because it credits our government with too much intelligence, and I don't mean the spy kind.

But I do have 2 questions about that day that still linger.

AA Flight 77
The hole in the Pentagon doesn't seem to me, an unqualified observer, to be large enough or shaped like an airplane hit it. And where was the wreckage? it all burned? Why don't other plane crashes vaporize like that?

Building 7
Pretty eery how it fell without being hit. Plausible, of course, but leaves lingering doubt in my mind.

I don't have a horse in this race, just find it curious.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-12-2011, 06:09 PM
(26-12-2011 05:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(26-12-2011 05:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  What 'hardwired belief systems' would those be?
Just curious.

Well its a massive subject to cover for consideration and I can only answer for myself you understand.

I suppose one example I could use is "god"........my "hard wired belief system" was indocrinated with this idea throughout my childhood into believing that such entity exists (even though my parents were not in the slightest religious and they taught me nothing about god, it all came from my state education)........even though there is no real scientific proof that god exists.

The "hard wired belief" I saw and was taught about racism...........how I used to be racist to people until one day I realised that I have never been actually harmed by any minority in particular......I had actually just picked up this hatred and was "following the herd"

The "hard wired belief" about money ............ how so many people have so much "faith" about who produces it, how it is regulated and the system (ponzi scheme) it operates under.
In this world many things are possible including some conspiracy theories being true. There is a lot of funny business going on in all parts of the world.

Sometimes patriotism can get in the way because we need our 'truths' to hang on to especially when the other "truths" are as bad or worse.

Its not easy being green, especially when so many external forces have their spray guns directed at you.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
26-12-2011, 06:16 PM
(26-12-2011 05:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  
Just curious.

OK, those are not hard-wired, those are programmed.

Hard-wired means instinctual, built-in.

The beliefs you mention were all taught to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ultimate crazy woo? Chas 9 876 01-06-2012 12:51 AM
Last Post: Mr Woof