9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: 9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.
(30-12-2012 06:03 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure what laws would be necessary to help prevent these massacres, but I am no policymaker either. The way I see it, anything that contributes to better control and improves our situation is great. He may have acquired them illegally but his mother didn't. What about this "smart gun" technology that only recognizes the owner? That would be awesome.

My suggestions for removing speed limits was to portray your position as a farce. I was not serious.

Your still attacking the straw man that I said ban guns.

Cigarettes, alcohol, cheeseburgers, cars, etc were not designed to kill either.
I know you weren't serious about it. I never suggest we get rid of gun laws either. I'm satisfied with current gun laws.

And it doesn't matter that they weren't designed to kill. They do. Guns are for whatever the buyer wants them for. Many are for target shooting and never kill anything.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2012, 07:37 PM
(30-12-2012 05:41 PM)germanyt Wrote:  What laws could have possibly been enacted prior to December that would have stopped Adam Lanza from shooting 27 people? He acquired the guns illegally, brought them on school property illegally. He clearly wasn't concerned with the law. If his mom only had 1 pistol instead of all the guns she had he could still have stolen it, shot her, and reloaded it as many times as necessary to shoot 27 people. If guns were banned altogether and none were available to him then prove he wouldn't have just set the building on fire.
His mother probably would not have the weapons, since she was not healthy mentally either.

And what is with all this alternative, "Well, if he didn't have the guns, he would have done something else..." speculation? I am sure that far less people would have perished had he done that, rather than shooting everyone.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
30-12-2012, 10:06 PM
(30-12-2012 02:01 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  So If you for keep firearms at a residence, why mention how all of the "sports" can be done at the range and gun be kept there?

IMPLY SOMETHING USING SEMI VAGUE LANGUAGE AS A ARGUMENT

CRY LOGICAL FALLACY WHEN PERSON REFUTES IT

BTW guys, that "rocket launcher" was a inert training device, it says "TRAINER'' right on the tube.

Ever notice in police buy back programs how they have a table full of rusted small caliber hand guns, and then like 3 well kept, machine pistols prominently displayed? Thats a clueCool
I'd like to respond to this post, but you haven't said anything concerning my position on gun control.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
31-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Re: RE: 9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.
(30-12-2012 10:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 02:01 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  So If you for keep firearms at a residence, why mention how all of the "sports" can be done at the range and gun be kept there?

IMPLY SOMETHING USING SEMI VAGUE LANGUAGE AS A ARGUMENT

CRY LOGICAL FALLACY WHEN PERSON REFUTES IT

BTW guys, that "rocket launcher" was a inert training device, it says "TRAINER'' right on the tube.

Ever notice in police buy back programs how they have a table full of rusted small caliber hand guns, and then like 3 well kept, machine pistols prominently displayed? Thats a clueCool
I'd like to respond to this post, but you haven't said anything concerning my position on gun control.

I can't, you've never controlled a gun.
31-12-2012, 02:52 AM
(29-12-2012 01:27 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I guess alcohol isn't on the 'agenda'.

Well .... guns ... like alcohol require responsibility. Personally I own 3 guns .. on of which is a shotgun. I am the keeper and responsible for these firearms..

I'm also an alcoholic .... in which i'm the keeper and responsible for my drinking habits.. I do not drink when i'm drunk.. Thankfully i've managed to keep that one rule in my head when i'm drunk off my ass. With anything in life.. that could kill you or others.. you must be responsible and own up to that responsibility.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
31-12-2012, 04:21 AM
(31-12-2012 01:55 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I can't, you've never controlled a gun.
I don't need to own a gun in order to know that it is too easy to acquire a gun legally in the USA.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
31-12-2012, 07:59 AM
(30-12-2012 06:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 06:03 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure what laws would be necessary to help prevent these massacres, but I am no policymaker either. The way I see it, anything that contributes to better control and improves our situation is great. He may have acquired them illegally but his mother didn't. What about this "smart gun" technology that only recognizes the owner? That would be awesome.

My suggestions for removing speed limits was to portray your position as a farce. I was not serious.

Your still attacking the straw man that I said ban guns.

Cigarettes, alcohol, cheeseburgers, cars, etc were not designed to kill either.
I know you weren't serious about it. I never suggest we get rid of gun laws either. I'm satisfied with current gun laws.

And it doesn't matter that they weren't designed to kill. They do. Guns are for whatever the buyer wants them for. Many are for target shooting and never kill anything.

And I'm not satisfied with our current gun laws. I look at places like Australia and think "10+ years of no mass shootings sounds pretty freaking good."

It's also worth noting that as people are made aware of the dangers of such h unintentionally harmful products, they begin to avoid them. And as our technology improves, we continue to decrease the risk of such avoidable deaths. Like better car engineering and more and better information about nutritional content.

No ones right to own anything exceeds the right to someone else's life.

You still haven't addressed my questions about the other European nations and their attitudes towards guns and their government.

Evolve
31-12-2012, 10:38 AM
(31-12-2012 01:55 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 10:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'd like to respond to this post, but you haven't said anything concerning my position on gun control.

I can't, you've never controlled a gun.
How do you control the gun? I have shot guns on occasion, and have numerous friends who own and collect guns. I have never heard about "controlling" the gun. Is it some kind of new age hippy thing? Finding your spiritual center or some jazz like that?

You act like you need to have sex with your guns before you are qualified to talk about them. Proper gun safety and handling is not exactly complicated... It is all common sense shit. Don't point the gun at people, even if you think its unloaded!

Even if a person never even seen a gun, I don't understand how you can dismiss their arguments.
[+] 3 users Like Diablo's post
31-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Re: RE: 9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.
(31-12-2012 10:38 AM)Diablo Wrote:  
(31-12-2012 01:55 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  I can't, you've never controlled a gun.
How do you control the gun? I have shot guns on occasion, and have numerous friends who own and collect guns. I have never heard about "controlling" the gun. Is it some kind of new age hippy thing? Finding your spiritual center or some jazz like that?

You act like you need to have sex with your guns before you are qualified to talk about them. Proper gun safety and handling is not exactly complicated... It is all common sense shit. Don't point the gun at people, even if you think its unloaded!

Even if a person never even seen a gun, I don't understand how you can dismiss their arguments.

You can tell just by how someone talks about firearms that they get it or not. This IS important. When a US senator claims she wants to ban "barrel shrouds" from AR type rifles and then admits she dosent even know what that is, we have a problem. Or when another official claims that incendiary rounds would"cook" a deer, we have problems.

"High capacity assault clips"
"The gun went off"
"Pistol grips make it easier to spray fire from the hip"
"You can easily make the guns full auto" etc etc

When I hear things like that, I know this person dosent even know enough about guns to effectivly ban them!
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
31-12-2012, 02:29 PM
They are politicians, they are rich. The vast majority likely know absolutely nothing about guns. You can't seriously expect them to know everything regarding such a vast market.

Yes, sometimes they make stupid comments, but does that mean they don't understand the general situation? No. Some one has told them that xyz is too dangerous for whatever reason. When they are asked about that reason, they don't know, and comments like the ones you proposed are made.

Do we need to understand terminology regarding a Bazooka to understand they are too dangerous to be floating around the public?
No, of course not.

You aren't providing any arguments, because there are none. You are merely dismissing others arguments, because it conflicts with your own and you feel they don't have enough hands on knowledge. Neither of which are good reasons to dismiss an argument.

If your opinion of who is suitable to handle gun legislation was enacted, then the only body capable of handling it would be the NRA.

The fact of the matter is that are three legitimate uses for guns.
#1 Self Defense
#2 Fun
#3 Hunting

All three of these can be accomplished with basic shotguns, rifles, and handguns.
Everything else is unnecessary, and too dangerous to be in open circulation.

The fact that it is unnecessary and dangerous is more than enough merit in itself to ban it.