9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
RE: 9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.
(02-01-2013 04:12 PM)Janus Wrote:  And close to a 100,000 die annually as a direct result of 'medical mistakes'. Mistakes by 'doctors'.

I also still fail to see how this is an argument against better gun laws too. Please clarify.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Thats def not a AR.

03-01-2013, 06:23 AM
(02-01-2013 10:37 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Thats def not a AR.

Looks like a pump-action shotgun to me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2013, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 11:58 AM by Janus.)
(02-01-2013 05:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 04:12 PM)Janus Wrote:  And close to a 100,000 die annually as a direct result of 'medical mistakes'. Mistakes by 'doctors'.

Glad we make them get insurance in order to practice medicine.

Yeah, as long as you have insurance it's OK to malpractice with dead people as a result.

Quote:Also glad that while these mistake happen, doctors can be shown to have a direct benefit on the good health of people.

If you consider 100,000 deaths 'beneficial', sure.
04-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Comparing guns to doctors...

Apples and oranges.

I can live without shooting bottles off the fence. I can't live without a double heart bypass operation (well I can, my hearts fine, but you know what I mean).

The benefits of the doctors outweigh the downside, HUGELY.
The benefits of private ownership of guns do NOT outweigh the downsides.

While you can scream 100,000 dead due to malpractice of doctors I could put up a number MUCH MUCH larger then your number of lives saved by doctors.
Do you suggest that shooting bottles off the back-fence is worth more then the lives of 20 under 10year olds?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
(04-01-2013 08:02 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 05:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Glad we make them get insurance in order to practice medicine.

Yeah, as long as you have insurance it's OK to malpractice with dead people as a result.

Quote:Also glad that while these mistake happen, doctors can be shown to have a direct benefit on the good health of people.
If you consider 100,000 deaths 'beneficial', sure.
Look, if you disagree with changes to our gun laws, fine. But making such absurd comparisons is the most asinine thing one could probably do in this discussion.

HOW. IS. THIS. AN. ARGUMENT. FOR. NOT. CHANGING. GUN. LAWS?

All I see is the same argument that theists use when talking about the divinity of Jesus.
"If he was resurrected from the dead, he must have been the son of God!"
We call that the "Argument from Ignorance." Please clarify the connection.

04-01-2013, 09:02 AM
(31-12-2012 07:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 06:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I know you weren't serious about it. I never suggest we get rid of gun laws either. I'm satisfied with current gun laws.

And it doesn't matter that they weren't designed to kill. They do. Guns are for whatever the buyer wants them for. Many are for target shooting and never kill anything.

And I'm not satisfied with our current gun laws. I look at places like Australia and think "10+ years of no mass shootings sounds pretty freaking good."

It's also worth noting that as people are made aware of the dangers of such h unintentionally harmful products, they begin to avoid them. And as our technology improves, we continue to decrease the risk of such avoidable deaths. Like better car engineering and more and better information about nutritional content.

No ones right to own anything exceeds the right to someone else's life.

You still haven't addressed my questions about the other European nations and their attitudes towards guns and their government.
I'm still waiting on my reply to this and my challenge on how other causes of death (malpractice, drunk driving, etc) are relevant to not changing gun laws.

Have we reached that magic point that theists on this site do when faced with a challenge to their core beliefs that they are unable to critically evaluate from both sides?

04-01-2013, 12:31 PM
(02-01-2013 05:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

I also still fail to see how this is an argument against better gun laws too. Please clarify.

If the relative numbers of deaths are supposed to be important – the premise of the OP – then why is nobody complaining about death doctors with fat doctor incomes from their 'activities' (instead of jailtime) with 7 times more victims than from drunk drivers, and 10 times more victims than from gun homicides? I'm not saying DUI or spraying bullets in classrooms is OK, far from it, but imo the public outrage is rather selective = hypocritical. Why is it that people look away from what is really important? The numbers are available. Yet while nobody bats an eyelid about those 100,000 'medical mistakes', the world blows up when a couple dozen American kids get slaughtered. By their own! I never saw any similar outrage or public indignity when schools with Afghani or Iraqi kids were blown up as 'collateral damage' in the past decade!

I.o.w. what I'm observing is an obscene double standard.
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Argument from ignorance. I am not devaluing the lives lost through medical malpractice or traffic injury, but how do deaths in those realms, justify not making changes to another system?

"the world blows up when a couple dozen American kids get slaughtered."
The world goes crazy whenever we are made aware of such atrocities. I am just as outraged when I learn of such shit in other countries. I can't help change their policies though. I don't live in the middle east or India.

So, how do deaths in other countries, connect with not changing gun laws in this country?

[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 12:26 AM by Janus.)
(04-01-2013 12:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Argument from ignorance. I am not devaluing the lives lost through medical malpractice or traffic injury, but how do deaths in those realms, justify not making changes to another system?

They don't. They are (almost) totally irrelevant to each other, and to the grand scheme of things, as my 'medical mistake' example illustrated. Thus the OP's premise was invalid.

Quote:"the world blows up when a couple dozen American kids get slaughtered."
The world goes crazy whenever we are made aware of such atrocities.

Of course. The media direct (10%) and misdirect (90%) our attention. A.k.a. Newspeak. Knowing that you only need to either turn around the arguments or divide* by 6 to get a better view of reality.
(* in case of death counts it must be multiply by 6).

Quote:So, how do deaths in other countries, connect with not changing gun laws in this country?

The common denominator, in this case, is: innocent kids massacred by American gun culture.