9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 11:12 AM by TrulyX.)
RE: 9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers.
(19-01-2013 06:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  You could say the same thing about any topic that's ever been discussed, ever. You jumped in the debate, said you would like to ban all guns, then turn around and say you wouldn't ban all guns and you don't care. No debate on the TTA is "needed", no one on here has a "need" to convince anyone else on here of anything, but we do it for various reasons. If you're not interested so be it, though I certainly could add plenty to the debate. I won't, however, waste my time if you are apathetic. Good day.

When I said I would ban all guns, I was sort of being ironic. I just said that I would say, "ban all guns", to mean that, for me, that would be a reasonable starting out point. Obviously, "ban all guns" is a hyperbolic statement anyway. I was going to elaborate, at that time, but decided to hold. I just see people in my position, ideologically (like I was trying to address in the NRA Killed the Debate thread), that actually have play in the national debate (politicians, people in the media, etc.), sometimes just the average person, who kind of take a soft path, by not being serious about what would actually have to happen for gun laws to be reasonable, and picking out a starting point for debate, initial proposal, leading into compromise, that is basically complete bullshit, a joke. I was also, at that point, and at other times, trying to imply, even if just implicitly, that I was kind of apathetic toward the issue. It's all for political theater: it's to make the liberals think you give a shit about making legitimate gun laws, and to make conservatives think that you're not for doing anything that would be against their views, enough to upset them.

I obviously still have my views against guns, but I was just saying that is extremely unlikely to change unless you pulled out something amazing from your hat. I guess I shouldn't have said that there wasn't "any more you have to add". I just, personally, didn't see anything, that you could add, based on what you already said, that would be relevant to me and what I was saying and change my mind. I could be wrong, so you can add whatever you want (it's an open thread, forum, that I didn't start). You can add what you want to the thread or in response, if there is something you think adds to it. I guess I just wasn't careful with they way I phrased that part.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 9,146 gun homicides in US. 16,885 killed by drunk drivers. - TrulyX - 20-01-2013 10:20 AM