9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2015, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2015 11:23 PM by Gatheist.)
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(18-06-2015 11:13 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 08:05 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  The other benefits that come with it -- the ability to put meat on the table, the self-defense aspect, etc. -- are really secondary to the relaxation that serious shooting can provide. I've tried other sports and activities and none provide the deep mind clearing relaxation that serious shooting does.
Darts, pool, yoga, bonsai, nature photography, playing musical instruments, dominoes, tai chi, painting, origami, cross stitch, dominoes, ...

You could even become a crack shot with a slug gun rather than a fire arm. Or perhaps a bow and arrow?

Many, many options regarding de-stress.

Is it worth it to have a hobby that ultimately provides hand guns to criminals which are then used to facilitate robberies, muggings, rapes, home invasions, hate crimes, murders etc?

Because of your hobby, a person who isn't into guns is much more likely to be the victim facing the pointy end of a gun.
Once you decide to have guns freely available for all then other people are then forced to either move to another country or buy a gun for protection.

The thing about gun protection: The encounters become lethal
You against one combatant, you have a 50% chance of survival (unless they surprise you, but for now let's just assume they give you plenty of warning first before attacking you)
For two encounters your chances are 25%
For three encounters your chances are 12.5%.

Or let's say you have a family of four. If each of you face just one encounter each then the chances that your whole family survives is just 6.25%.

It doesn't really seem (to me) to be an effective strategy for survival. The best option, if survival is really important, would be to move into a safer country where handguns are uncommon and crime rates are acceptably low. Stick to safe well light highly visible areas, avoid conflict...

Your statistics are incorrect.

P.S. Most of the other European countries are not that safe either, from non-firearm crime against a person. I think the US is mixed in the middle of those types or crimes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2015, 11:47 PM
(18-06-2015 06:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 05:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No.

I beg to differ.

The average number of mass shootings in the US has tripled in recent years, US Attorney General Eric Holder said at an annual conference of police chiefs on Monday.

The yearly average of mass shootings has tripled from an average of five per year between the years of 2000 and 2008, the attorney general said. At least 12 mass shootings have taken place in 2013.

Holder’s remarks at the annual meeting of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) came the same morning as yet another mass shooting occurrence - this time at a middle school in Sparks, Nevada, where at least two were shot dead early Monday.

Simple Google search for averages.

Complete Bullshit.

From a liberal source,

Media Matters Wrote:Fox News relied on claims from discredited gun researcher John Lott to falsely suggest that an FBI report inflated the occurrence of mass shootings, possibly for political reasons. In fact, the report in question covered only "active shooter situations" and explicitly noted in its introduction, "This is not a study of mass killings or mass shooting."

Media Matters

[Image: MassShootings.jpg]

So if you want to count active shooter incidents as opposed to mass shootings (one only requires a weapons discharge, while the other needs victims) then fine. But don't fall for linguistic ploys.
[+] 1 user Likes Gatheist's post
18-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Do you deny mass shootings occur in the US fairly often? I mean come on, the world sees it on the news. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Mass shooting tracker. Seems to be a wiki thing.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
18-06-2015, 11:57 PM
(18-06-2015 11:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Do you deny mass shootings occur in the US fairly often? I mean come on, the world sees it on the news. Big Grin

I ABHOR people that do not define terms with specific frequency or numbers. It's useless for me to even begin a discourse.

It's like talking to Ms. (Freaking) Swan:

[Image: tumblr_ln460mQ6Nk1qarclzo1_r1_500.png]
19-06-2015, 12:00 AM
Oh give me a break. You seem ashamed.

In Australia we had the Port Arthur massacre. Guns were banned. Not one mass shooting since.

Banjo.
19-06-2015, 12:10 AM
(18-06-2015 11:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Mass shooting tracker. Seems to be a wiki thing.

Quote:Northeastern criminologist James Alan Fox claims that mass shootings aren't increasing in the US. Researchers Amy P. Cohen, Deborah Azrael, and Matthew Miller of the Harvard School of Public Health argue they are, in fact, increasing. Both are correct.
Fox uses a pretty straightforward definition of "mass shooting": shootings in which at least four people die. And by that definition, he's right: shootings of four or more people haven't been on a clear upswing. They haven't been on a clear downswing either, which one might have expected in light of the overall decline in gun violence over the past twenty years

All in the eye of the beholder.

Vox
19-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Well one site is a list of documented shootings with documented source material.

The other is an opinion piece.

What else ya got there buddy???

(Sorry. I have to leave now and tell my 86 year old father I am dying. See ya later.)

Banjo.
19-06-2015, 12:15 AM
(19-06-2015 12:00 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Oh give me a break. You seem ashamed.

In Australia we had the Port Arthur massacre. Guns were banned. Not one mass shooting since.

FIFY:
Quote:In America we had Pearl Harbor. Japanese living in Western War Areas were banned. Not one Japanese Surprise Attack since .

But if you want to talk about abdicating the rights of Americans based on Black Swan events, we could bring up the more recent Patriot Act.

You know, if you are not doing anything illegal you have nothing to hide?
19-06-2015, 03:54 AM
(19-06-2015 12:15 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 12:00 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Oh give me a break. You seem ashamed.

FIFY:
Quote:In America we had Pearl Harbor. Japanese living in Western War Areas were banned. Not one Japanese Surprise Attack since .

But if you want to talk about abdicating the rights of Americans based on Black Swan events, we could bring up the more recent Patriot Act.

You know, if you are not doing anything illegal you have nothing to hide?

If only some of you Americans knew how silly you sound. Smile

I am done with idiots like you. Life is too short.

Banjo.