9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2015, 12:03 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(18-06-2015 06:12 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 05:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No.

I beg to differ.

The average number of mass shootings in the US has tripled in recent years, US Attorney General Eric Holder said at an annual conference of police chiefs on Monday.

The yearly average of mass shootings has tripled from an average of five per year between the years of 2000 and 2008, the attorney general said. At least 12 mass shootings have taken place in 2013.

Holder’s remarks at the annual meeting of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) came the same morning as yet another mass shooting occurrence - this time at a middle school in Sparks, Nevada, where at least two were shot dead early Monday.

Simple Google search for averages.

The question was "Aren't mass shootings the norm in America?" You can beg to differ all you want with my answer, but they are distinctly not the norm.

Hell, you might be surprised to learn that in my 43 years living here, I haven't seen one mass shooting. You'd think that if they were the norm, I'd have seen a few already.

Words have meanings. Abuse them at your own risk. "Norm" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-06-2015, 12:11 PM
(18-06-2015 06:42 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Oh bullshit!

Lets skip modern life and strictly talk about our modern scientific understanding of evolution. What you are expecting me to believe is that humans are greedy, which is true in the sense they can be. But to assume that everything is about power and humans cant be compassionate is bullshit.

Evolution does not care which wins and both work. So it is up to humans which we foster and garner.

Brian, we're talking about gun violence. Put away Maslow's hammer and address the points I made.

(18-06-2015 06:42 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  What is in my 401k? WHAT THE FUCK does that have to do with anything?

Are you really so dense you don't see my point? If your 401(k) invests in any gun-makers as a part of the portfolio, you yourself have become part of the problem.

The larger point, which should have been plain but for the thick blinders you don whenever this topic comes up, is that corporations aren't obligated to their shareholders to provide anything more than profits, unless the shareholders pipe up.

Remind me the next time we interact to bring my crayons.

(18-06-2015 06:42 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  You may not be aware but all this is arguing on your part is "might makes right".

No, I'm not. I'm arguing that if you wish to make a difference, you should do it with your investments, and the voice it buys you.

Tell me, how many lives have you saved acting like an asshole online? And you deign to lecture me?

Take your sanctimony and stick it up your ass. If brains was dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose.
19-06-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't account for it because I have no idea if those numbers are real. Maybe they are. I suspect people are a lot more fucked up than they used to be and guns gives them the means to do something about it.

But, in general, the gun lobby gives 2 arguments for guns, the 2nd Amendment right and that we are safer with more guns. I'm not getting into the 2nd Amendment right now so let's just put that to the side. On the safety issue, I think when you look at our statistics vs. Canada, Australia and western Europe, the safety issue is demonstrably bullshit. We clearly are not safer with all these guns.

Btw, lots of people posted while I was typing so I'm responding to online biker.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Guns suckUndecided

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
19-06-2015, 12:45 PM
(19-06-2015 10:22 AM)BnW Wrote:  But we are not the only country exposed to this type of violence. Canada, Australia and western Europe are all watching the same violent movies and playing the same violent video games. And, they are not having nearly the same level of gun violence.

Given the statistics and comparisons, it is nearly impossible to argue the difference is not in the availability of firearms.
I would have said that it's because those countries do not have a large quasi permanent underclass like the US. But for the fact that most perpetrators, and victims, of mass shootings tend to come from a middle class background. And the mass shootings by themselves often claim more lives to gun violence than many of these countries will see in years.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
19-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Haven't you all heard? It's because of that damned Confederate flag.
19-06-2015, 02:51 PM
(19-06-2015 01:14 PM)pablo Wrote:  Haven't you all heard? It's because of that damned Confederate flag.

Well; one might say that the presence of an avowedly, explicitly, and irreconcilably racist symbol on government property is itself reflective and emblematic of the long history of hatred we only really like to pretend to each other is all in the past.

But I'm sure that has nothing to do with a racially motivated act of terrorism. Nothing at all.

... this is my signature!
19-06-2015, 03:08 PM
(19-06-2015 10:22 AM)BnW Wrote:  But we are not the only country exposed to this type of violence. Canada, Australia and western Europe are all watching the same violent movies and playing the same violent video games. And, they are not having nearly the same level of gun violence.

Given the statistics and comparisons, it is nearly impossible to argue the difference is not in the availability of firearms.

Guns have always been widely available and owned in the U.S. In fact, it used to be easier than it is now.

Society has changed and is creating violent, thoughtless, amoral, selfish people. Some use a gun, others use a computer, others use laws.

It's not the guns - they are a means, not a cause.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-06-2015, 04:00 PM
(18-06-2015 09:58 AM)kim Wrote:  I hope I'm wrong but from the looks of it ... I may currently have the same hair do. Dodgy Laughat

[Image: roof.jpg][Image: lanza.jpg][Image: Samwell-Tarly_1.jpg]

Get a new barber asap!

#sigh
19-06-2015, 04:07 PM
(18-06-2015 11:51 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  For those of us who live in swamp states, we hope you realize the mentality isn't based on just being near a swamp.

That's exactly what I'd expect crazy ass swamp people to say.

#sigh