9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2015, 01:18 AM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(19-06-2015 06:40 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 06:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah, cause guns are the only way to take out a bunch of people.

cough, cough...Timothy McVeigh...cough, cough

Building a massive bomb out of fertilizer is a one off and, now that it's happened, not an easy thing to duplicate because the feds track the sale of the ingredients pretty well. Sure, it can happen again, but it's unlikely.

It's also really not the point. Again, that other things are dangerous and can be used for the ulterior purpose of killing people doesn't change the fact that guns are manufactured for the express purpose of taking life and are frequently used for that purpose. The reason everyone can name McVeigh is because he's the only person who did it. I can't even name all the shooters who have gone on killing sprees in any given year because there are so many of them.

No, guns are not made for the sole purpose of killing. Target rifles and pistols, trap and skeet guns are made for shooting sports.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2015, 02:51 AM
Totally anecdotal stuff here, but the cases of murder with a gun here are 99% terrorist attacks (of course they have access to guns) or crimes in specific parts of the country where every home has a gun.

You want to kill someone and you live in Athens? You'll have to strangle them or use a knife and they might survive. You want to kill someone and you live in Zante? Piece of cake, the family gun is right there.

It's not uncommon to see people from such places run for their gun when they are angry and they want to scare someone. It's extremely uncommon in every other place in the country to run for a gun when you are angry simply because there is no gun there.

Just saying.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
20-06-2015, 06:11 AM
(19-06-2015 05:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 05:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Hate crime..... What's the fucking point????

It's usually used to get a harsher sentence I think. No point in this case.

(19-06-2015 05:08 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Like you couldn't kill a shitload of people with a Chevy Tahoe.................................
Should you need to undergo psychiatric counseling before buying a vehicle with four wheel drive????????

Unless you're paying with cash you need to be compos mentis to sign the loan agreement. Seems like a reasonable requirement for getting a gun.

You can be as crazy as can be and still get a loan for a car - you just have to have a good credit score..... You can be batshit crazy and still know how to handle money... Look at Donald Trumph....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-06-2015, 06:16 AM
You don't need guns to kill people.

How easy is it to kill a large number of people????

Very.

At risk of giving the fruitbags any ideas-- I'll just give one that's pretty obvious.

A backpack - a half dozen wine bottles, some rags a gallon of gasoline, a couple matches and a movie theater.....

Hasn't been done yet - but count on it... Some miserable fuck will probably do it - or a variation of it......

Honestly --- I'd rather they come in shooting -- I can shoot back.....

I don't carry a fire extinguisher on me at all times....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-06-2015, 06:49 AM
(19-06-2015 05:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  It seems simple to me; less guns, less people killed by guns. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. Less access to guns, gun violence gets easier for criminals. Making guns illegal will work about as much as making drugs illegal, so not at all. Now I'm not saying get more guns but to take guns away from those who do want to protect themselves while the criminals will get guns no matter if they are legal or not is just asking for trouble, there have been many instances of criminals getting shot by law abiding citizens with carry permits before they could commit any murders or do any real damage. Unless guns are stopped from being manufactured, which won't happen. Even if less guns = less killed by guns, it won't mean less people killed overall, there are plenty of other ways people can kill.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
20-06-2015, 07:37 AM
After the Dunblane massacre in the UK handguns were banned rifles and shotgun licenses are only granted to those who have a reason to have them e.g. gamekeepers farmers etc no one with a criminal record even if its for say shoplifting can own a firearm and guess what ? yup no mass shootings since, its not rocket science, its the love and worship of the firearm in the USA its the culture from the year dot and its never going to change so this whole argument is futile really.
20-06-2015, 07:48 AM
(20-06-2015 07:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  After the Dunblane massacre in the UK handguns were banned rifles and shotgun licenses are only granted to those who have a reason to have them e.g. gamekeepers farmers etc no one with a criminal record even if its for say shoplifting can own a firearm and guess what ? yup no mass shootings since, its not rocket science, its the love and worship of the firearm in the USA its the culture from the year dot and its never going to change so this whole argument is futile really.

Quote:The Cumbria shootings was a killing spree that occurred on 2 June 2010 when a lone gunman, Derrick Bird, killed 12 people and injured 11 others before killing himself in Cumbria, England. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre, the 1989 Monkseaton shootings, and the 1996 Dunblane school massacre, it is one of the worst criminal acts involving firearms in British history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
20-06-2015, 07:52 AM
(20-06-2015 07:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  After the Dunblane massacre in the UK handguns were banned rifles and shotgun licenses are only granted to those who have a reason to have them e.g. gamekeepers farmers etc no one with a criminal record even if its for say shoplifting can own a firearm and guess what ? yup no mass shootings since, its not rocket science, its the love and worship of the firearm in the USA its the culture from the year dot and its never going to change so this whole argument is futile really.

I don't think the whole argument is futile. There is a problem (or a host of problems) and it needs to be addressed.

We need to have rational, practical, evidence-based discussion and approaches. It is clear that there is an underlying societal problem of violence, a lack of mental health resources, and too-easy access to firearms.

Banning firearms is not practicable; better management of who has access is necessary.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-06-2015, 08:02 AM
Shit completely forgot that one have to own up to having royally fucked up I stand corrected I was so fixed on handguns I didn't check my facts sincere apologies.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
20-06-2015, 08:30 AM
(20-06-2015 07:48 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Quote:The Cumbria shootings was a killing spree that occurred on 2 June 2010 when a lone gunman, Derrick Bird, killed 12 people and injured 11 others before killing himself in Cumbria, England. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre, the 1989 Monkseaton shootings, and the 1996 Dunblane school massacre, it is one of the worst criminal acts involving firearms in British history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

4? Is that all? 4 incedents in ~30 years?

How pastoral. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein