9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2015, 12:39 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
I asked Rev to explain.

I also would like to hear the reason for the popularity of first person shooter games in a country where 'the majority' is against guns. Some of those games are damn realistic and even the anti gun group seems to have devotees of the FPS games.

I would love to see this be about the racism that caused the attack and murders at this church. So far I have heard everything from it's the fault of climate change to guns are handed out like candy - apparently to the 15%.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Another thing to remember -- 15 percent PARTICIPATE in gun sports....

far more OWN guns but don't participate.

I'd put gun ownership at closer to 40 percent have at least one firearm in a household.

Personally I can only think of a couple that don't have at least one gun.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-06-2015, 01:05 PM
From last year...gun ownership is more like 35% overall and pretty even across the states.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...ouseholds/

That's a third. Certainly not a majority but a hell of a lot more than 15%. I was actually surprised that the number is so similar in mainly urban states and the wild west and redneck south.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

20-06-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm a homeowner, as is my brother, and so is my mom and the majority of her siblings and my cousins. None of us is registered and none of us have a gun in our respective homes. However, we have a family farm home we all go to whenever we want and there are guns there. We have each fired them.

Statistics do not necessarily present an entire picture.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-06-2015, 01:21 PM
(20-06-2015 12:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Another thing to remember -- 15 percent PARTICIPATE in gun sports....

I'd put gun ownership at closer to 40 percent have at least one firearm in a household.

Selection bias and sample rate error. Still does not change that there is a gun death problem in this country. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2015, 01:25 PM
(20-06-2015 01:17 PM)kim Wrote:  I'm a homeowner, as is my brother, and so is my mom and the majority of her siblings and my cousins. None of us is registered and none of us have a gun in our respective homes. However, we have a family farm home we all go to whenever we want and there are guns there. We have each fired them.

Statistics do not necessarily present an entire picture.

The link I posted was the number of homes with registered gun owners - that could be one gun or a hundred.

We have three guns in this house and two registered owners but it would be counted as one for the purposes of the numbers given though all are registered.

And there are homes with unregistered guns - so, yeah stats have variables.

But 15% is low, as is 35%.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-06-2015, 01:25 PM
(20-06-2015 06:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 05:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  It seems simple to me; less guns, less people killed by guns. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. Less access to guns, gun violence gets easier for criminals. Making guns illegal will work about as much as making drugs illegal, so not at all. Now I'm not saying get more guns but to take guns away from those who do want to protect themselves while the criminals will get guns no matter if they are legal or not is just asking for trouble, there have been many instances of criminals getting shot by law abiding citizens with carry permits before they could commit any murders or do any real damage. Unless guns are stopped from being manufactured, which won't happen. Even if less guns = less killed by guns, it won't mean less people killed overall, there are plenty of other ways people can kill.

Of course it's not wrong. No guns, no killings by gun. 4 guns, a few killings by guns - maybe, 100 guns, a few more killings. Millions of guns... you get the picture.

I'm not saying that a ban in the US will work as it's probably too late for that. Chas has said that gun ownership is controlled in the US already (I live in the UK and wasn't aware of that) so I can't see what more can be done other than a bit of tightening.

Wide of the Mark agrees that animals change over time but thinks evolution is false. Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes joben1's post
20-06-2015, 01:38 PM
(20-06-2015 01:21 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 12:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Another thing to remember -- 15 percent PARTICIPATE in gun sports....

Selection bias and sample rate error. Still does not change that there is a gun death problem in this country. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

You keep hammering on about "The evil empire of gun manufacturers" - and yet you still haven't graced us with your esteemed intellect and actually given any solutions....

and I'm not going to hold my breath waiting...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Approaching this issue from a slightly different perspective.

How many of us knowingly have a person in our home with a gun?
How many of us knowingly have a person in our home with a mental issue?

I think with both cases, awareness of responsibility is an issue rarely discussed because it often puts into question the personal freedom of another.

Does the "acceptance" of something effect just that one person? Some would say "yes" ... until, it starts to effect others.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-06-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm not for gun control by any means. I own a pistol and a shotgun myself. What I don't get are the people who feel the need to own military style assault rifles. Most that I know who own such firearms are douche bag, wannabe Rambo types.