9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2015, 02:58 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(20-06-2015 11:38 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 11:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Explain please, as I missed something.

(20-06-2015 10:44 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  34.4 million people, or 15% of the US population, participates in shooting sports every year. http://nssf.org/PDF/research/NSSF-Shooti...Report.pdf No matter how crazy some people think we are, we are not going to give up our guns and that is a fact.

The people who participate in shooting sports aren't the problem. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2015, 03:04 PM
(20-06-2015 01:21 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 12:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Another thing to remember -- 15 percent PARTICIPATE in gun sports....

far more OWN guns but don't participate.

I'd put gun ownership at closer to 40 percent have at least one firearm in a household.

Personally I can only think of a couple that don't have at least one gun.

Selection bias and sample rate error. Still does not change that there is a gun death problem in this country. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

And there is a much higher vehicle accident death problem. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

People love their cars, especially those suburban assault vehicles, and don't give a fuck about who gets hurt.

There is no need for private vehicles, public transit should do the job.

20-06-2015, 03:04 PM
And nothing will change after this event. People will continue to defend guns and racist symbols like the confederate flag. Double standards will persist, and people will continue to look for any and every excuse to maintain status quo. That's the saddest damn part. This won't be the last event, more innocent people will be killed because of ignorant bullshit and the whole fucked-up cycle will just keep repeating. I fucking hate people sometimes.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2015, 03:07 PM
(20-06-2015 03:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 01:21 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Selection bias and sample rate error. Still does not change that there is a gun death problem in this country. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

And there is a much higher vehicle accident death problem. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

People love their cars, especially those suburban assault vehicles, and don't give a fuck about who gets hurt.

You're seriously using the "cars kill people too" defense? Water kills people, but we still have lifeguards. Cars kill people, so cops patrol the highways giving tickets and car manufacturers have safety standards and we regulate who can drive.

That's true, public transit could do the job and would be an ideal solution.

-Rick
20-06-2015, 03:12 PM
(20-06-2015 02:41 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'm not for gun control by any means. I own a pistol and a shotgun myself. What I don't get are the people who feel the need to own military style assault rifles. Most that I know who own such firearms are douche bag, wannabe Rambo types.

People own them because they are useful. And they are not assault rifles.

AR-pattern rifles are lightweight, reliable, accurate, have low recoil, and are modular. They are excellent hunting rifles and are the design of choice in competitive target shooting.

20-06-2015, 03:16 PM
A good article.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our...ng-america

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-06-2015, 03:19 PM
(20-06-2015 03:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A good article.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our...ng-america

Yup. Drinking Beverage

20-06-2015, 03:20 PM
(20-06-2015 03:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 03:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  And there is a much higher vehicle accident death problem. Only an idiot thinks there is not.

You're seriously using the "cars kill people too" defense? Water kills people, but we still have lifeguards. Cars kill people, so cops patrol the highways giving tickets and car manufacturers have safety standards and we regulate who can drive.

I'm not using it as a defense. I'm pointing out that society values personal vehicles more than it values 50,000 deaths per year.

20-06-2015, 03:21 PM
(20-06-2015 03:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 03:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're seriously using the "cars kill people too" defense? Water kills people, but we still have lifeguards. Cars kill people, so cops patrol the highways giving tickets and car manufacturers have safety standards and we regulate who can drive.

I'm not using it as a defense. I'm pointing out that society values personal vehicles more than it values 50,000 deaths per year.

Non sequitur. You're better than that false conclusion.

-Rick
20-06-2015, 03:30 PM
(20-06-2015 03:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 02:41 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I'm not for gun control by any means. I own a pistol and a shotgun myself. What I don't get are the people who feel the need to own military style assault rifles. Most that I know who own such firearms are douche bag, wannabe Rambo types.

People own them because they are useful. And they are not assault rifles.

AR-pattern rifles are lightweight, reliable, accurate, have low recoil, and are modular. They are excellent hunting rifles and are the design of choice in competitive target shooting.

Hunting what? Almost everyone I know hunts and not one serious hunter I've ever met in my life uses an AR style or similar rifle for hunting.

I've had lots of experience with people who own such rifles and most of them were tools who didn't hunt and only owned them to feel cool.

I'm not saying professional target shooters don't prefer them but I'd be willing to guess they are an extreme minority of owners.

I'm not necessarily against the ability to own such a firearm...just that I don't see the point.