9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm not even sure what the hell the point is of trying to point out people being killed by things other than guns. The fuck does that matter with regard to guns making it easier to kill people en masse because they are designed to make killing easier?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2015, 05:08 PM
(20-06-2015 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 04:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Yes, many things like swords and javelins were also designed to kill and have been co-opted for sport. Some guns have been too.

And the original intent doesn't matter when it comes to guns because of how some people use them? But the original intent of the 2nd amendment does?

Guns are weapons. Cars are not. The purpose they've been co-opted for is immaterial.

Sporting guns are weapons as much as a javelin or a saber. The purpose is for sport.

I have a trap shotgun. It is a break-action, single shot shotgun - a very ineffective weapon. Its design and purpose are sporting.

Irrelevant. It could be used for killing because as a gun, it's purpose is to hurl a projectile as fast as possible that can and would penetrate flesh and generate mortal wounds (a single-shot break-action gun would still be effective with 00 buckshot and plenty of shells that can be quickly accessed).

-Rick
20-06-2015, 05:09 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(20-06-2015 05:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because other objects can kill, the purpose and design of guns doesn't matter?

I would agree that it does matter.
Insofar as I carry for a better chance at defense should the need arise. Due to the number of people who would do harm.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
20-06-2015, 05:10 PM
(20-06-2015 05:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sporting guns are weapons as much as a javelin or a saber. The purpose is for sport.

I have a trap shotgun. It is a break-action, single shot shotgun - a very ineffective weapon. Its design and purpose are sporting.

Irrelevant. It could be used for killing because as a gun, it's purpose is to hurl a projectile as fast as possible that can and would penetrate flesh and generate mortal wounds (a single-shot break-action gun would still be effective with 00 buckshot and plenty of shells that can be quickly accessed).

And so could the javelin, saber, épée, or hammer be used to kill - and that was their original purpose.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2015, 05:13 PM
(20-06-2015 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 05:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Irrelevant. It could be used for killing because as a gun, it's purpose is to hurl a projectile as fast as possible that can and would penetrate flesh and generate mortal wounds (a single-shot break-action gun would still be effective with 00 buckshot and plenty of shells that can be quickly accessed).

And so could the javelin, saber, épée, or hammer be used to kill - and that was their original purpose.

Yes, they can be used to kill and are used to kill. Kind of hard to kill en masse with them and also hard to master. It's easy to pull a trigger.

-Rick
20-06-2015, 05:14 PM
(20-06-2015 05:09 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 05:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because other objects can kill, the purpose and design of guns doesn't matter?

I would agree that it does matter.
Insofar as I carry for a better chance at defense should the need arise. Due to the number of people who would do harm.

You live in a fantasy world where the Wild West is reality.

-Rick
20-06-2015, 05:15 PM
No one has argued intent doesn't matter. The argument is guns make it easier for anyone to kill en masse.

-Rick
20-06-2015, 05:17 PM
(20-06-2015 05:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No one has argued intent doesn't matter. The argument is guns make it easier for anyone to kill en masse.

Actually, you did. You claimed there is a substantive difference because guns were invented to kill, that that is their intended use.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-06-2015, 05:18 PM
(20-06-2015 05:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 05:09 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  I would agree that it does matter.

You live in a fantasy world where the Wild West is reality.

Are you implying that the right to bare arms for matters of self defense is "wrong" as well?
20-06-2015, 05:20 PM
(20-06-2015 05:18 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 05:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You live in a fantasy world where the Wild West is reality.

Are you implying that the right to bare arms for matters of self defense is "wrong" as well?

Did I say that?

The notion that one need be strapped at all times in order to be safe, is nonsense for the vast majority of America and Americans.

I could care less if people want them or not (although id shed no tears if guns were gotten rid of), as long as they are properly trained and regulated.

-Rick