9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2015, 11:13 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(20-06-2015 09:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 09:51 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Good ol' Canadian girl, there. Can't go wrong. My dad's met her back in the day.

You want to know another Canadian who had this shit pegged?

So there's that.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
20-06-2015, 11:17 PM
(20-06-2015 10:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 09:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  AND YET

You've NEVER ONCE suggested a solution.

Best bet???

You don't have one.

It's an intractable problem. The guns are already out there. It's no more feasible to control them now than it is to think 10 million illegal aliens are going to self-deport.
That is like saying slavery will never end because it already exists. That is like saying women will never vote because they cant right now.

BULLSHIT, the only thing stopping the left is the left. The right is going to do what it does, but progress has always been obtained by the left, not the right, and humanity has always improved when we question and DONT put up with the status quo.

If you think short term, you will lose. The idiots on the other side have maintained their worship of guns because they are lead by an industry and profit protecting lobby group that has basically turned their product into a god. It is the same mentality that allows Islam to be controlled by the radical few.

Yes guns are already out there. But just like cancer and eboli you cant rid the world of it completely, but you can change the attitudes of society to keep it at a manageable level.

The key to winning this war of ideas, is to take away their bread and butter sale of fear. This is on their part about protecting profits, not rights. The gun makers know this, the NRA knows this. And just like humans had an age of enlightenment, the key to winning is to take away their marketing of fear of change.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-06-2015, 01:37 AM
(20-06-2015 12:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yet, I think it's odd that very vocal 15% dictate what everyone else can do.

Gun-rights advocates aren't wanting to make anyone else own guns. They're not trying to force you to behave a certain way. We disagree with your views, for a variety of reasons not common to all of us, and we disagree with your prescriptions, again, for a variety of reasons not shared by all of us.

If you don't want to own a gun, that's fine. Don't buy one.

If you want to impede someone else's right to own a gun, please go about that in a Constitutional manner. That's all most of us ask.

Be it noted, I am not a gun owner, so I'm in that 85%.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-06-2015, 01:51 AM
(20-06-2015 05:24 PM)kim Wrote:  So. Confused That's his "manifesto", huh?

Well then... he'll have fun in prison. Even if he's "spared" the death penalty, life in prison is still a death sentence, in my opinion... for a 20 something, anyway. You don't know what ya got til it's gone, kid. Drinking Beverage

At the risk of starting a second hotbutton shitstorm (and gosh, ain't that a great name for a band?), I like the idea of letting him molder in a cell for sixty years, pondering where he went wrong.
21-06-2015, 03:26 AM
(20-06-2015 07:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 06:29 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  It is merely my opinion that outside of militaristic purposes these type of guns are worthless. And in the wrong hands the can cause much more damage than your typical pistol, shotgun or rifle.

The guns were designed to create as much carnage is possible.

Your opinion is incorrect. See my earlier post.

I have a hard time with an expressed "opinion" being incorrect here.

I think we can discuss this without a "you're wrong shut up" attitude.
21-06-2015, 05:45 AM
(20-06-2015 11:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 10:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's an intractable problem. The guns are already out there. It's no more feasible to control them now than it is to think 10 million illegal aliens are going to self-deport.
That is like saying slavery will never end because it already exists. That is like saying women will never vote because they cant right now.

BULLSHIT, the only thing stopping the left is the left. The right is going to do what it does, but progress has always been obtained by the left, not the right, and humanity has always improved when we question and DONT put up with the status quo.

If you think short term, you will lose. The idiots on the other side have maintained their worship of guns because they are lead by an industry and profit protecting lobby group that has basically turned their product into a god. It is the same mentality that allows Islam to be controlled by the radical few.

Yes guns are already out there. But just like cancer and eboli you cant rid the world of it completely, but you can change the attitudes of society to keep it at a manageable level.

The key to winning this war of ideas, is to take away their bread and butter sale of fear. This is on their part about protecting profits, not rights. The gun makers know this, the NRA knows this. And just like humans had an age of enlightenment, the key to winning is to take away their marketing of fear of change.

How do you propose to "control the manufacturers"??

If by allowing lawsuits against them - you'll clog up the courts with meaningless, trivial lawsuits and put the manufacturers out of business.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-06-2015, 07:06 AM
(21-06-2015 03:26 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 07:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your opinion is incorrect. See my earlier post.

I have a hard time with an expressed "opinion" being incorrect here.

I think we can discuss this without a "you're wrong shut up" attitude.

Your opinion is ill-informed. You also made a claim that the guns were designed to create as much carnage as possible. That is factually incorrect.

Did you even read the prior post?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2015, 09:54 AM
(20-06-2015 11:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  BULLSHIT, the only thing stopping the left is the left. The right is going to do what it does, but progress has always been obtained by the left, not the right, and humanity has always improved when we question and DONT put up with the status quo.

We have been having a fairly intense discourse for close to 30 years. In that time, the political position on gun ownership has only gotten stronger. Looking at the gay marriage vs gun polling data, gun control is static. Perhaps something is wrong with the liberal discourse, instead of the guns.

(20-06-2015 11:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  If you think short term, you will lose.

Again, we have been having this discussion for DECADES. The polling data is static on this issue and recently has been found to FAVOR civilian ownership of government restriction.

(20-06-2015 11:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  The idiots on the other side have maintained their worship of guns because they are lead by an industry and profit protecting lobby group that has basically turned their product into a god. It is the same mentality that allows Islam to be controlled by the radical few.

Well, unlike Allah guns do exist and their is a certain protective effect given by firearms.

(20-06-2015 11:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yes guns are already out there. But just like cancer and eboli you cant rid the world of it completely, but you can change the attitudes of society to keep it at a manageable level.

Is this an attempt to compare Ebola and Cancer to guns? I did not know I could go to the hospital isolation room and have fun with Ebola. I do know that I can have fun shooting guns.

(20-06-2015 11:17 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  The key to winning this war of ideas, is to take away their bread and butter sale of fear. This is on their part about protecting profits, not rights. The gun makers know this, the NRA knows this. And just like humans had an age of enlightenment, the key to winning is to take away their marketing of fear of change.

The fear is driven by the governments actions to restrict gun or attempts to play social engineer. A shooting happens, legislation is propose to take away firearm ownership rights and seize lawfully owned guns*, and the people react by buying more guns.

*Don't give me bullshite about legislation like the Assault Weapon Ban not restricting gun rights and seizing lawfully owned guns. The legislating while including a grandfathering provision DID NOT allow for even inter-familial transfers, while banning the future sale of assault weapons. Therefore, if I were to die my gun cannot be given to a family member nor can they purchase said weaponry.

It's like if the government required an Internet ID for anonymous forums. This ID is given to all persons alive and those that will be born until 01/2016 where as no more ID's will be issued and the transfer of these ID's are banned. You cannot logically say that the future generations are not having their right to speech restricted nor that they will lose the ability of free speech (when said ID is revoked upon death).
[+] 1 user Likes Gatheist's post
21-06-2015, 10:00 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-06-2015, 10:33 AM
(21-06-2015 05:45 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How do you propose to "control the manufacturers"??

If by allowing lawsuits against them - you'll clog up the courts with meaningless, trivial lawsuits and put the manufacturers out of business.

There's nothing to prevent the gun manufacturers from being sued now: Gunmaker, Store Agree To Payout in Sniper Case

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus