9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2015, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 02:28 PM by Chas.)
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(21-06-2015 01:59 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  I'm against gun ownership, but at a push I can understand someone wanting one for sport/hunting and maybe owning a handgun in case of home invasion. What I don't understand is the need for your average joe to own an AR15 with a 100 round mag and a laser scope. Just who do you think is going to invade your home? "Ze Germans"?

100 round mag? laser scope?

What are those?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-06-2015, 02:27 PM
(21-06-2015 02:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  ^ The counter argument is clear though - sure, allowing *those* people easy access to guns is bad news, but if I encounter one of those people I want to have a gun myself.

I think... to me that indicates a lack of trust in government systems to catch criminals, possibly well justified.

It's not about catching criminals, it's about stopping them in the act.

"When seconds count, the police are minutes away."

Quote:Secondly it indicates to me a certain amount of hubris - a certainty that as long as *I* have a gun i have a good chance to come out ahead in a fight.

If you know what you are doing, you have a better chance than without a gun.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-06-2015, 02:31 PM
(21-06-2015 02:07 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(21-06-2015 12:16 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Guns were invented for war, so yes, they were originally made to kill but now and days that's different, guns are tools made for many different purposes like sport, personal defense, film making, policing (IE. Non-Lethal guns that shoot rubber bullets) ect. some similarities it shares with Swords. What they are made for and how they are used doesn't matter because they cannot work on their own. It's who uses them that's the issue so as Impulse pointed out, taking away the weapons or even restricting them will not stop violence as long as we continue to let people with serious issues access to any type of object that can harm people. Restricting them may help lower the violence but unless we get rid of everything and live in an empty world, there will always be violence whether it be a gun, knife, vehicle etc. Also yes, guns can kill more easier but so can bombs, Boston Bombings. Vehicles can kill many people too. 9/11. We won't fix the issue by worrying about what was used to kill people, we will make more progress by worrying about why these people decided to kill.
How many more shootings than bombings in the USA ? defence involves killing as obviously guns are not a deterrent in the USA and I cannot believe you used the vehicle argument I despair of my fellow atheists using cognitive dissonance circular reasoning and the obvious worship of firearms all things we criticize the religious for. You are nice people but I swear to the god I don't believe in you are a menace and a danger to yourselves. I hope one day you learn to value each other at least as much as your firearms I'm done here its too excruciating following this thread

My post was not about "worshipping firearms", you are taking my post out of context. What I am saying is no matter what you control or take away, people who have the intent to kill will find a way to do so with guns or not. Instead of focusing on what was used to kill we should focus on why that person decided to kill. I'm all for gun control but that should not be the only solution for this problem. We should make health care more accessible so those with mental illnesses can get treated and keep a closer eye on those who may have ties to terrorists organizations etc. People are so focused on the guns that they are not focusing on why the guns were used. Guns don't shoot themselves, knifes don't stab people themselves, there is always a reason they are used for horrible acts.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
21-06-2015, 02:32 PM
(18-06-2015 04:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 04:17 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I don't care why it was done, from accidental shootings in the home or domestic murder, from both legal and illegal guns, to street gangs to mass shootings, it is way past time to hold gun makers responsible for the flooded market they protect putting profits above human lives.

The gun manufacturers are not the problem. Like any manufacturer, they meet a demand.

Smarter ones create it.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
21-06-2015, 02:35 PM
(21-06-2015 02:00 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Gun control won't stop that person from being depressed and just make them find another way to kill.

For those batshit insane fuckers intent on killing I think you are correct. McVeigh has shown us that ammonium nitrate is far more effective at mass killing than any firearm. But I think I can also appreciate Brian's point that there are a bunch more who if they hadn't happened to have a gun they never would've been killers.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-06-2015, 02:36 PM
(21-06-2015 02:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-06-2015 02:00 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Gun control won't stop that person from being depressed and just make them find another way to kill.
But I think I can also appreciate Brian's point that there are a bunch more who if they hadn't happened to have a gun they never would've been killers.

I can agree with this too.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
21-06-2015, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 02:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-06-2015 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  laser scope?
What are those?

This is what the DC snipers used: Holographic weapon sight.

(21-06-2015 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  100 round mag?
What are those?

This is advertised as a 100 round magazine for an AR-15.

[Image: 100round.jpeg]

#sigh
21-06-2015, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 04:47 PM by Anjele.)
I keep hearing a theme, here and on Facebook...if the guy who did this had used a weapon other than a gun - which made multiple murders easier - that's the issue - it's the gun. The gun made it possible for many to be killed.

WTAF - if he killed one person, in some other way then the discussion would be about the racist aspect of this story. And probably a mental health aspect to this story.

What's the number? How many murdered in a black church turns the focus from the method to the reason?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-06-2015, 03:00 PM
(21-06-2015 02:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-06-2015 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  laser scope?
What are those?

This is what the DC snipers used: Holographic weapon sight.

OK, if that what was meant. Those are not particularly better than iron sights except in low-light.

Quote:
(21-06-2015 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  100 round mag?
What are those?

This is advertised as a 100 round magazine for an AR-15.

[Image: 100round.jpeg]

I wonder how many of those are out there?
It certainly looks cumbersome - 100 rounds of .223 weighs nearly 3 lb.

21-06-2015, 03:03 PM
(21-06-2015 01:59 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  I'm against gun ownership, but at a push I can understand someone wanting one for sport/hunting and maybe owning a handgun in case of home invasion. What I don't understand is the need for your average joe to own an AR15 with a 100 round mag and a laser scope. Just who do you think is going to invade your home? "Ze Germans"?

The holographic weapons sight makes the shots fired more accurate.