9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 09:10 AM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
So, now it's a flag debate. I guess that's how this one will winde down.

Because once we take down these racist flags, we won't have any more racism, riiiiiiiiight?

Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2015, 12:21 PM
(23-06-2015 09:10 AM)kim Wrote:  So, now it's a flag debate. I guess that's how this one will winde down.

Because once we take down these racist flags, we won't have any more racism, riiiiiiiiight?

Dodgy

It's a good debate to have since the flag is obviously popular. All the anti-racism typees can scream and shout and dance about and all the others can go "what's the big deal, it's just a flag" and the politicians can all make grandiose speeches about how naughty those people of the South are, to have such backwards ideas about flags, meantime there's 9 dead people who're... dead, so I guess they don't give a shit, one arsehole in jail and no progress on any issue which would materially affect anyone. Fuck politicians I say. Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Hmm. I wonder what the flag looks like for the state of denial.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-06-2015, 12:34 PM
(23-06-2015 12:27 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm. I wonder what the flag looks like for the state of denial.

Egyptian flag?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-06-2015, 12:36 PM
(23-06-2015 09:10 AM)kim Wrote:  So, now it's a flag debate. I guess that's how this one will winde down.

Dodgy

Taking down that flag was literally the absolute least they could do and still claim to have done something.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-06-2015, 02:56 PM
(22-06-2015 01:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Please show some events where mass murderers were shot and killed by armed citizens. I'd really like to know. I have not seen anything about this.
Cheers.

You're right. You never hear about these type incidents in places like NRA conventions or gun shows. These psychopaths usually go for soft targets like schools, churches, and other gun free zones, where everyone is an unarmed, defenseless victim.
23-06-2015, 03:47 PM
(23-06-2015 12:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Dodgy

Taking down that flag was literally the absolute least they could do and still claim to have done something.

The attitudes that led to the hoisting of the damn things - which only went up in the 1960s, by and large! - embody sanctioned hatred like few other symbols on Earth. Nobody's advocating flying Swastikas over Nuremberg because "it's a part of the region's history".

But you could colour me surprised that literally anything at all was done in the first place. So I guess there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
23-06-2015, 03:55 PM
(22-06-2015 04:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-06-2015 04:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Prevalence of weapons increases the risk of either impulsive use or accidental harm. Both of which occur at a far, far greater rate than any purported deterrent or defensive effect. Not that facts are particularly troublesome for the sufficiently ideologically motivated.

A sane response consists of established public policy goals, and weighing the pros and cons of strategies designed to meet those goals.

Studies show that between half a million and two and a half million crimes are prevented by armed civilians annually. The actual numbers depend on sampling methods.

Tough Targets

Indeed. Assuming that those figures are remotely reliable - given the track record of the Cato "Climate Change is Government Lies" Institute, I'd doubt it; since when do you take testimony from ideology first, facts second if ever libertarian types? - then that's a factor to enter into the analysis of costs and benefits.

If the issue weren't so dementedly politicised, there'd be robust analyses of where the various regulatory factors' inflection points are.

... this is my signature!
23-06-2015, 03:56 PM
(23-06-2015 02:27 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No they are trained professionals with specific training in this situation. But I would be fine with only such people having access to firearms.

I wouldn't. Cops have training, true, but that is no guarantee that it will be used effectively (the Empire State Building shootout, for instance). And in a big city, they cannot be everywhere at once, which means that bystanders will still face risks on occasion, and have no arms for defense under the conditions you've laid out.
23-06-2015, 04:01 PM
(23-06-2015 03:47 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-06-2015 12:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Taking down that flag was literally the absolute least they could do and still claim to have done something.

The attitudes that led to the hoisting of the damn things - which only went up in the 1960s, by and large! - embody sanctioned hatred like few other symbols on Earth. Nobody's advocating flying Swastikas over Nuremberg because "it's a part of the region's history".

But you could colour me surprised that literally anything at all was done in the first place. So I guess there's that.

Not saying it should still (or really ever have been put) up just noting that this is likely all that will come from another mass shooting. Frankly after Newtown did nothing it is pretty clear the gun nutz are not going to be moved by anything.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense