9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2015, 06:42 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(27-06-2015 05:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 05:32 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Thats like saying in states that don't normally have Brown Recluses, you won't find brown recluses. Its circular reasoning and is not a counter argument to anything.
No it's not circular.
It applies to countries where handguns aren't already common.
It makes no sense to legalise handguns because that would bring the handguns into the country and many of those would fall into the hands of the would be criminals.

My comment was in response to this statement
" Criminals don't give a fuck for laws. They already have guns illegally."
This might be true in USA, that the guns are already there, but we shouldn't restrict our conversation to USA or assume that USA is the context of the conversation.
In many countries the criminals don't have handguns.
It is irrelevant whether "Criminals don't give a fuck for laws." it is a fact that the criminals don't already have the guns and find it hard to get the guns. The law of restricting access to guns works in many countries.

Well, we could talk about that but the discussion was specifically about guns in the U.S.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Bit outdated but there was a 2007 report out of Harvard that showed nations with more strict gun control tend to have higher murder rates.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs...online.pdf

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
28-06-2015, 04:09 AM
(27-06-2015 03:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If guns make things so dangerous and prone to violence --

How come ---

Switzerland, Sweden and Norway -- are in the top ten per capita --- for gun ownership ---

and

They're also in the top ten (by several listings) as the safest places to live????

If guns cause violence - shouldn't their rate of crime be similar to the USA???

hmmmmmm

Um... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_...by_country

While that's true that they're in the top ten, the gun ownership rate of Switzerland (Highest in your examples, 4 th place on the list) is *half* that of America. Others in the top ten list are Yemen and Iraq...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-06-2015, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2015 05:38 AM by onlinebiker.)
(28-06-2015 04:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-06-2015 03:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If guns make things so dangerous and prone to violence --

How come ---

Switzerland, Sweden and Norway -- are in the top ten per capita --- for gun ownership ---

and

They're also in the top ten (by several listings) as the safest places to live????

If guns cause violence - shouldn't their rate of crime be similar to the USA???

hmmmmmm

Um... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_...by_country

While that's true that they're in the top ten, the gun ownership rate of Switzerland (Highest in your examples, 4 th place on the list) is *half* that of America. Others in the top ten list are Yemen and Iraq...

So why isn't Switzerland's crime rate HALF of the USA????

Because there's no correlation between gun ownership and crime??????

Go look it up --- some of the most dangerous countries in the world - firearm ownership is forbidden.

My theory -- the reason the US has more crime? We have more criminals. We've got people in this country who think it's a career choice or a lifestyle.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-06-2015, 01:30 AM
(28-06-2015 05:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-06-2015 04:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_...by_country

So why isn't Switzerland's crime rate HALF of the USA????

Because there's no correlation between gun ownership and crime??????

Go look it up --- some of the most dangerous countries in the world - firearm ownership is forbidden.

My theory -- the reason the US has more crime? We have more criminals. We've got people in this country who think it's a career choice or a lifestyle.

Ah. Seems like I missed your point. I thought you were saying that owning guns implied safety.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.