9 Dead in SC church shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2015, 06:23 PM
RE: 9 Dead in SC church shooting
(18-06-2015 11:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 10:33 AM)Gatheist Wrote:  So what is your message? Are you saying the firearm in the ad, designed to propel a .223 cartridge, is somehow a negative? Even when, it was designed to wound enemy soldiers and cannot be used for hunting deer because the round is too small?

Or is it the semi-auto function that is found on nearly all pistols, a significant number of rifles, and many shotguns?

Is it the magazine capable of holding multiple targets, which like the ad says can be used to shoot coyotes and the additional rounds either help finish off the pack or kill an animal that was not slain by the initial round?

Entirely untrue.

A .223 is a very lethal round and is quite capable of taking down humans, and just about any animal in North America - with the exception of brown bears and moose... I've taken whitetail deer with it myself - and it performed splendidly.

The ONLY real advantage of semi-auto operation - is faster acquisition of the next target. Spraying away - seldom accomplishes anything.

Magazine size is completely irrelevant.

Good muzzle-velocity giving long range and accuracy -- what's not to like?

I don't own a ranch, but if I did, it'd be the gun slung on my truck's rack.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2015, 06:27 PM
(18-06-2015 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 05:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  OK, fair enough. It's not something that I have researched or ever used or ever had experience of.
But there does seem to be a demand for it, so why aren't there manufacturers that specifically create drugs for this purpose?
Manufacturers merely meeting demand, like you said.

They aren't selling it legally, as in, the intended use and the reason for manufacture.

They are selling a legal drug on the black market.

Should we stop the manufacture of everything that is used off-label?
I'm just saying that it isn't purely a matter of manufactures supplying demand.

There are certain demands that we as a society do outlaw because we deem that harmful to society. Even some things that we deem as legitimate we outlaw because of the foreseeable harms.

The purpose of govt is to support a stable and somewhat safe society. The purpose isn't to enforce a moral standard and isn't to control people and companies at a whim.

Cars, although they do result in car deaths are deemed necessary for society because it allow us to shift products and to get people to school, hospitals, shops etc. So they need to weigh up the pros and cons of course. Society wouldn't thrive without cars.

Guns, you'd have to consider the purposes and the risks. Society thrives quite well without people having easy access to handguns. But there are lots of crimes in some countries which are supported by handguns. You could say that some people have saved their own lives by having a hand gun. But what is the balance? Is society safer or more dangerous giving general people easy access to handguns?

Car manufacturer's are accountable for the safety of their car users and the public from their cars, they try hard to make cars safe and fit for purpose.

I'm not sure how manufacturing a gun for general use, which can hold 20+ bullets is considered safe? They certainly do put effort into creating a demand for guns, making some guns look like assault rifles or more attractive for certain target markets, offering memes that people aren't safe until they have a gun, that they need to protect themselves from govt, that they need to exercise their American rights to own a gun...
18-06-2015, 06:27 PM
(18-06-2015 06:15 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 06:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I am unsure when you joke. Is this a joke?

Yes they are asshole. Humans protect resources, those with money protect resources. Who has more money to market and protect those resources, the business owner, or the people convinced they cant live without it?

You are buying into the same fucking argument religion sells. Once it has been proven that there is no such thing as virgin birth, you are the moron who would say "who is it hurting"

Climate change is a FUCKING FACT and humans are causing it by burning fossil fuels and the majority of climate change scientists are saying WE are causing it.

Guns are marketed like candy made like candy and handed out like candy, and only a FUCKING IDIOT would say the amount of gun death is acceptable. If you think guns are not a problem in this country, then you are like liberals who cant understand that they read the same books as fundies.

Guns aren't handed out like candy, even here in Texas. If they were I would have a shitload of them.

And that shooting probably has nothing to do with climate change but I could be wrong. The summers in Charleston are hot and humid and quite miserable.

Dumbass.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-06-2015, 06:34 PM
It's not the NRA - it's big pharma...

http://www.naturalnews.com/050117_Charle...drugs.html

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
18-06-2015, 06:42 PM
(18-06-2015 06:02 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-06-2015 04:54 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  One of the survivors said "This is inexplicable". BULLSHIT! Horrific yes, and no one sane would want to be witness to it. But, it is unfortunately quite explainable. Too many guns being made, too easy for them to get into the wrong hands. I am fucking tired of "don't blame responsible gun owners". I'M NOT BLAMING RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS. I am blaming the makers who don't give a fuck about the flooded market.

This is simply another industry driven by greed, just like the fossil fuel industry doesn't give a shit about how their product affects the planet.

Expecting any business to care about more than profits is a fool's quest. Shareholders don't give a shit about anything but the bottom line.

By the way, what's in your 401(k) portfolio?

Oh bullshit!

Lets skip modern life and strictly talk about our modern scientific understanding of evolution. What you are expecting me to believe is that humans are greedy, which is true in the sense they can be. But to assume that everything is about power and humans cant be compassionate is bullshit.

Evolution does not care which wins and both work. So it is up to humans which we foster and garner.

What is in my 401k? WHAT THE FUCK does that have to do with anything? Humans existed long before any written language and even other animals display cruelty and cooperation.

If you don't care what business does to you, then it will not care what it does either. Just like if you ignore religion, anything can blow up on you.

You may not be aware but all this is arguing on your part is "might makes right".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2015, 06:46 PM
(18-06-2015 12:02 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Not about guns my arse I swear to the god I don't believe in that some of you guys love guns more than your own kids I can smell the panic rising the fear that somehow this will cause tighter controls on firearms I love Americans individually you are some of the nicest people but this gun obsession I find hard to understand I just don't get it

The real issue is that the mental healthcare infrastructure in this country got decimated in the 1980s.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Ever notice that many of these tragedies happen in gun free zones? Lets not forget all the federal, state and local laws and prohibitions which were broken by this murderous criminal. Now, churches might have to pay for detectors and armed security.

All that aside, my heart goes out to all the congregation, the community, the family and friends of the victims. It was a sub-human and barbaric attack. I hope they throw the book at him. They probably will.
18-06-2015, 08:03 PM
14 addresses one President has had to make, and that is not including the majority of gun deaths from suicide, accidental, domestic murder and criminal violence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/18...mg00000013

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
18-06-2015, 08:04 PM
(18-06-2015 07:29 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Ever notice that many of these tragedies happen in gun free zones? Lets not forget all the federal, state and local laws and prohibitions which were broken by this murderous criminal. Now, churches might have to pay for detectors and armed security.

All that aside, my heart goes out to all the congregation, the community, the family and friends of the victims. It was a sub-human and barbaric attack. I hope they throw the book at him. They probably will.

It is not enough to simply throw the book at one person. The climate of worship of an object has to change.

18-06-2015, 08:05 PM
It's very difficult for people who have never done serious shooting to understand why it is so important to many of us. It is a tremendous exercise in self-discipline that is very relaxing. We focus on stance, grip, breath control, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, and follow through. To be really good at shooting a handgun or rifle you must relax every muscle you do not need to stand up and hold the gun. After those things are drilled into you hour after hour, many of us merely have to pick up a gun and we relax and the troubles of our day disappear. We have developed the habit of relaxing almost completely when we handle a gun. For people who are really good at it, it is a meditation exercise that cannot be beat. I do not expect non-shooters to understand what an immense stress reliever shooting can be. However, I have never met a person who, with competent instruction over a period of several days, doesn't experience the mental benefits that come from this discipline. [I taught handgun and rifle shooting for over 30 years.]

The other benefits that come with it -- the ability to put meat on the table, the self-defense aspect, etc. -- are really secondary to the relaxation that serious shooting can provide. I've tried other sports and activities and none provide the deep mind clearing relaxation that serious shooting does.