90% of the media is controlled by 6 mega-corporations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 07:45 PM
90% of the media is controlled by 6 mega-corporations
Viacom, News Corp, NBC (recently took the place of GE), Disney, Time Warner, CBS.

The 6 giant corporations that own 90% of all media. If you've ever wondered why every radio station plays the exact same songs, why every movie is a carbon copy clone of every other movie, why every "news" show focuses on the same "issues" that no one cares about (is Obama secretly a smoker!?), and why every magazine decides to go in-depth into some random celebrity's hygiene or dietary habits during the same month... realize that nearly everything we are subjected to is controlled by the same few people.

And while I won't go so far as to say there's some kind of conspiracy, there is an undeniable monopoly. And a monopoly breeds monotony. It eliminates the need to take risks and continues to pump out the same crap over and over. Combine that with modern American consumerism, aka our apparent need to hit the Purchase button over and over despite quality or originality, and we're stuck in hell until something changes.

Now that my "backed only by evidence from quick google searches" rant is over, what are your thoughts?

Here's a more complete list of all the companies owned by each corporation and here's a giant picture.

[Image: IllusionofChoice.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
RE: 90% of the media is controlled by 6 mega-corporations
Technically it's an oligopoly. Although since all of these corporations and their board members directly and indirectly own stock in each other there's not all that much difference I suppose. But they do all have their own corporate structures and do compete to a limited extent. Sort of the way Proctor & Gamble competes with itself via different brands of batteries, shampoo, and diapers.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Just as a clarification: 90% of U.S. media is controlled by these corporations.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
05-09-2012, 07:18 AM
I thought this was common knowledge, but m'kay? Your country has capitalism, this was bound to happen.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Thats fine. I think people need to learn to take everything with a grain of salt then make up their own mind when they hear or see something. then it wont matter if 100% of channels are owned by one company.
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
(05-09-2012 05:38 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Just as a clarification: 90% of U.S. media is controlled by these corporations.

You know I'm a typical American. America IS the world. There are no other countries outside these borders. Except for that damn country to the south that keeps trying to sneak in and steal all our damn jobs. DEY TUK MA JOB!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
05-09-2012, 09:37 PM
(05-09-2012 09:17 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 05:38 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Just as a clarification: 90% of U.S. media is controlled by these corporations.

You know I'm a typical American. America IS the world. There are no other countries outside these borders. Except for that damn country to the south that keeps trying to sneak in and steal all our damn jobs. DEY TUK MA JOB!

Heh, heh, heh. Only because you ignorant Americans don't know how many Canadians there are actually running things in the U.S.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
(04-09-2012 07:45 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...

and the remaining 10%:
http://www.scrippsnetworksinteractive.com

There are layers of evil beyond your cable company. Concentration of media is precisely why you will never have the ability to select the content you actually want to purchase.

There is a reason the only non-network investor in Hulu backed out this year when the remaining content companies decided to adopt a strategy of tying Hulu to CATV subscriptions.

What's worse as that these fuckers (yeah, kinda passionate about this topic) want to do the same thing to your internet subscriptions. ESPN 360 works by charging your ISP for every internet subscriber--kind of like programming for CATV. The internet as a platform is designed to allow individuals to go to the content of their choosing and make individual economic decisions, but these companies refuse to allow this. These companies do not want to allow you to choose not to buy their products.
05-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Hey! When I put my 3D glasses on, the image comes out of the screen to strangle me and try to sell me shit I don't need at the same time.

*takes off 3D glasses while being happy to be in Canada without cable*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
(05-09-2012 09:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-09-2012 09:17 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  You know I'm a typical American. America IS the world. There are no other countries outside these borders. Except for that damn country to the south that keeps trying to sneak in and steal all our damn jobs. DEY TUK MA JOB!

Heh, heh, heh. Only because you ignorant Americans don't know how many Canadians there are actually running things in the U.S.

I just wanna say that we love you guys on this side of the US, except for your mining corps, but that's not your fault Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Psychics tested in a controlled environment, and guess what happened?! Hughsie 2 500 31-10-2012 01:04 AM
Last Post: Dark Light