93rd Anniversary of the Scopes Monkey Trial

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2018, 08:14 PM
93rd Anniversary of the Scopes Monkey Trial
Today is the 93rd anniversary of the (in)famous Scopes Monkey Trial...

Quote:The Scopes Trial, formally known as The State of Tennessee v. John Thomas Scopes and commonly referred to as the Scopes Monkey Trial, was an American legal case in July 1925 in which a substitute high school teacher, John T. Scopes, was accused of violating Tennessee's Butler Act, which had made it unlawful to teach human evolution in any state-funded school.

Wikipedia

History

It's nice to know that in the near-century that has since passed, that we as a country have put those foolish ideas behind us.

Or not. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-07-2018, 08:42 PM
RE: 93rd Anniversary of the Scopes Monkey Trial
Spencer Tracy was such a great lawyer. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-07-2018, 07:00 AM
It’s tennessee. They’ll never change.
11-07-2018, 10:10 AM
(10-07-2018 08:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Spencer Tracy was such a great lawyer. Yes

I saw Inherit the Wind when I was a teenager and I can't tell you guys how much I love this speech and how much it made me "think". It made a great impression on me then and it still does today. If you've never seen this scene, watch it! If you're an atheist, watch it! Spencer Tracy was fabulous. This is wonderful.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Wow that's some good acting. Much of that in long single takes, too, tons of dialogue.

11-07-2018, 10:57 AM
(11-07-2018 10:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 08:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Spencer Tracy was such a great lawyer. Yes

I saw Inherit the Wind when I was a teenager and I can't tell you guys how much I love this speech and how much it made me "think". It made a great impression on me then and it still does today. If you've never seen this scene, watch it! If you're an atheist, watch it! Spencer Tracy was fabulous. This is wonderful.

With Col Potter as the judge and Darrin as the defendant no less...

I've never seen that version, just the later remake with Jack Lemmon and George C Scott. I'll have to see the Tracy version sometime.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-07-2018, 11:10 AM
(11-07-2018 10:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I saw Inherit the Wind when I was a teenager and I can't tell you guys how much I love this speech and how much it made me "think". It made a great impression on me then and it still does today. If you've never seen this scene, watch it! If you're an atheist, watch it! Spencer Tracy was fabulous. This is wonderful.

"The witness is excused".

Thanks so much for that. Must be several decades since I saw the film. Must make an effort to watch it again some time soon.
12-07-2018, 04:43 AM
(11-07-2018 10:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

> Last night I got the DVD out of my collection and watched it again. Great film! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post