99 Years

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 04:16 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: 99 Years
(29-07-2013 03:34 PM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  
(29-07-2013 03:40 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  US special forces in Afghanistan use horses in the remote mountains. You have to there is no way to get a vehicle up in those (it is part of the Himalayas after all).

I was speaking in regards of mass warfare. I totally see the SPU using them, just not a company of 50 rangers bombarding a local Taliban controlled village. It may work Consider

In the mass-action stuff people associate with cavalry?
I doubt you'd ever see that from a modern military; unless of course it was absolutely desperate; against a prepared foe, dug into their positions, the cavalry would probably be slaughtered.
Maybe if you could manage to surprise your opponent, it could work, but I don't see that happening. .... However, suddenly seeing a mass of mounted infantry swarming toward your positions would certainly be surprising.

It would be better just to use APCs and supporting IFVs to transport infantry to deployment zones as a kind of mechanized infantry.

However, tanks are, to my knowledge, often deployed in relative mass and occasionally in a plain cavalry-like line, allowing roughly equal fire across the line at targets.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
RE: 99 Years
Well - August 1st.

Austria was so far the only great power at war, and they hadn't done much but for shelling Serbia.

The intervening days saw enough negotiation, promises, mobilizations, cancelled mobilizations, and miscommunication. All this accomplished was an attitude, in each country involved, that they had pressed for peace until the last possible moment, and that the other side had forced the war. This was not particularly helpful...

The morning of August 1st saw Germany begin mobilization. German plans were the least reversible of anyone's.

As late as midafternoon the Germans were considering a stand-down in the west - in which case a Russian pause would leave mediation an open option. But several among the German staff wanted war (indeed, some did everywhere), as I mentioned above, seeing it as a last chance to defeat Russia and France before becoming overmatched.

And so - by evening Germany had declared war on Russia. Germany had occupied Luxembourg. France began final mobilization (Germany, Russia, and Austria already having done so). And Britain reiterated that violation of Belgian neutrality would be casus belli - the occupation of Luxembourg clearly showing this to be only a matter of time (3 days, as it happened).

So much for peace.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply