99% of Japanese people "haven't heard the word of God."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
99% of Japanese people "haven't heard the word of God."
I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to post this.
This past Sunday my parents took the family to church (as they have adamantly insisted on doing for the last few weeks) and there was something said which irked me quite a bit, as well as my sister who later spoke to me on it that day. At this church, their usual schedule is to start with "praise" (aka singing songs with very dull lyrics and small band on stage), then move on to recent events of the church, and then have someone speak about some meaningful things to pull out of one passage in scripture while being very repetitive.

It was the second part that was the issue. A couple were brought on stage to discuss their time in Japan (they spent 20 years there) and the state of Christianity there. The first thing that bothered me was that they had described the Japanese people as having a spiritual need and that 99% of them had not yet heard the word of God. If you aren't familiar with Japanese beliefs (and I must confess my knowledge is limited), their culture is strongly rooted in a mixture of Shinto and Buddhism, neither of which acknowledges a single God or a strong sense of good and evil. Only 1% are Christian, yet this church decided to phrase this information in such a way as to present Japan as never having knowledge of religion or spirituality, a ridiculous thing to do considering the abundance of festivals celebrating life, nature, and wishes. Additionally, they mentioned that on their return to Japan they would be making efforts to convert people near the center of the disaster area. They also went on to emphasize how small the Christian influence was by comparing the quantity of attendees within this church to the average among Japanese churches. Lastly, everyone was asked to stand, place their hand forward, and pray for these people. As with most things that required showing belief in the Church, I simply sat and observed, as did my sister.

Frankly, I'm pissed at the way this was handled. There was an obvious suppression of information (bad enough by itself, but not to mention how many young children were present). I'm always appalled at the need to bring God into humanitarian efforts, as if a divine being wants you to tell people they need to believe in such a concept rather than focusing on just plain helping. While I'm not terribly knowledgeable in Christianity, Shinto, or Buddhism, I do have a preference for the latter two as I have seen more examples of them representing an appreciation of the natural world and no examples of them condemning sexual activities that seem to be such an abhorrent thing to much of Christianity these days. Thus I appreciate them much more as a cultural influence in Japan than I view Christianity in America, and I'm rather upset that this church has the smugness (admittedly it may be out of ignorance) to assume that these people are unaware of their religion and need spirituality in their lives.

Later that day, my sister brought up how she also found it rude of them to act so superior (paraphrasing here is not as accurate as I'd like it to be). She also confided that my mother had told her I was an atheist and that she no longer identified as Christian (though I had some suspicions) and that at the moment she doesn't wish to label herself but prefers to "be open." So it feels nice knowing that the one person in my immediate family I feel any connection towards is also fine with my views.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. I mostly just wanted to get this out, but I'd like to see others ideas about this as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Cake's post
02-07-2013, 10:46 PM
RE: 99% of Japanese people "haven't heard the word of God."
Good story, be sure to stick around, need new faces around here.

I honestly would not be as upset over the deliberate obfuscation of information so much as the declaration of intent to try and sow the seeds of their poison, and sell their product in the disaster area, preying of those who were hit be disaster is a despicable way to keep numbers up.
At least, for all their faults, the Japanese seem to have far clearer heads.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
It's interesting to hear the claim that 99% of Japanese people "haven't heard the word of God" on the one hand and on the other hand to hear claims that God wants to have a relationship with everyone.
[+] 1 user Likes simgiran's post
05-07-2013, 10:45 AM
"haven't heard the word of God"
As to say, "how can anyone who has herd the word of the Christian God NOT believe in it!!???".
Typical Christians, so self... what's the word? you know what I mean.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
(05-07-2013 10:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  "haven't heard the word of God"
As to say, "how can anyone who has herd the word of the Christian God NOT believe in it!!???".
Typical Christians, so self... what's the word? you know what I mean.

Centered, Enamoured, Delusional?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
05-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Go to church more and you'll hear worse.

I recently revealed to my three sisters that I lost my religion. All of them are accepting even though all of them believe in some type of higher power.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
(02-07-2013 10:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Good story, be sure to stick around, need new faces around here.

I honestly would not be as upset over the deliberate obfuscation of information so much as the declaration of intent to try and sow the seeds of their poison, and sell their product in the disaster area, preying of those who were hit be disaster is a despicable way to keep numbers up.
At least, for all their faults, the Japanese seem to have far clearer heads.
Thank you.
While you are right that the second issue is more... dangerous, my personal experience leads me to be more bothered by their deceit. To clarify, I have a high interest in Japanese culture from having spent time watching anime, attending conventions, taking language classes, playing video games, doing some minor research, and other small things. Likewise, my sister has an interest in this culture, having been an influence upon myself. I've seen quite a few assumptions about their culture, gross generalization, and a bias (perhaps more towards one's own country than against another) to bear resentment for transgressions while ignoring their own country's (I speak of the U.S.A. as that's where I live). Of course, this isn't unique towards Japan, but due to my interests (and well known historical events) I have heard this side more. The act of obscuring information, to create propaganda, is something I despise. It's aggravating to see people so uninformed, to have such a strong in-group bias, to dehumanize their targets. The speakers, whether they even consider the repercussions of their statements, have contributed to a nation and a world where there is only one right in every decision and no one else deserves the respect to have their views even known to exist.

I'm looking into this at least a little too deeply. I just can't stand it when people like to pretend like their opponent's side is literally nothing. On a side note, I considered interrupting in order to force in an explanation of the local spiritual customs (as I'm sure a family who has spent 20 years there would know something about). Unfortunately, that could only have ended in hostility.
06-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Well, that's the problem of religions who think it's their way or the highway. They see everyone else as stupid or wrong, because they think their bullshit is better than other people's bullshit. That, and ethnocentricism. If you think yours is the only right way, then you're going to get a superiority complex, and it follows that you're gonna treat others as inferiors. This is quite disgusting from an outside point of view, but their religion tells them they're doing the right thing by praying for nonxians and trying to convert them, so they won't listen if you call them out on it.

Quote: I just can't stand it when people like to pretend like their opponent's side is literally nothing.
To christians, the other side IS literally nothing, though, and that's why they think this is justified.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
06-08-2013, 07:38 PM
If my parents forced me to go to church, now that I'm old enough to actually think, I don't know what I'd do. Sad
06-08-2013, 07:52 PM
99% of Japanese people "haven't heard the word of God".

We should be so lucky.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.