A 14 years old atheist kid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 08:17 AM
RE: A 14 years old atheist kid
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Welcome Smile It's at the point for me in my life right now that debating theists has become exhausting and I really have no more patience for it. How can you have a debate with someone when their answer is always magic and "God did it?" It would be like spending hours talking about leprechauns--debating how leprechauns created the universe and the human race. At some point, it just becomes absurd.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
07-10-2015, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 11:03 AM by Iñigo.)
Welcome, I haven't looked at what is going on there, but there is a sub-forum for teens if you are interested in meeting like-minded people your age. (Not that we mind interacting with you, we will be glad to help out.) I agree with what has been said. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim. If he doesn't relent, tell him you have an invisible leprechaun dancing a jig on top of your head and he needs to disprove it. How is your home situation? Do you parents know about your atheism?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
07-10-2015, 09:16 AM
よこそう

あなたのよこそう鰭脚類

[Image: furseal.bmp]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
07-10-2015, 09:31 AM
(07-10-2015 09:16 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  よこそう

あなたのよこそう鰭脚類

Heart So cute!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-10-2015, 10:29 AM
(07-10-2015 09:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 09:16 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  よこそう

あなたのよこそう鰭脚類

Heart So cute!

あなたは鰭脚類ほしですか

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
07-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I just say, I believe in Bigfoot. The argument ends right there, because they know my next answer will be "You can't disprove Bigfoot." LOL!!
[+] 2 users Like HawkofFreedom's post
07-10-2015, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 01:02 PM by Commonsensei.)
(07-10-2015 12:19 AM)Faldi1200 Wrote:  Hello im 14 and im an atheist,i used to be a buddhist and christian but not anymore im not a very wise kid so any kind of logical advice will be accepted,but the big problem is im studying in a christian school and im having an argument with a huge fat guy about jesus and stuff and now he is pissed i dont even insult it.

Well kid you're off to a good start. I didn't come to realizes I was an Atheist until I was 29 so you've bet me by so you bet me by 15 years.

I'm sorry for the position your in. Being 14 I'm guess your just starting high school. Being a teenage also puts you in kind of a stuck position. Parents call the shots.

A quick question however.

Is this "Huge Fat Guy" a teacher or a student?

Ether way, don't be surprised with such a reaction when talking about the subject of religion. There are normally 3 conversations people refrain from having. Sex, Politics, & Religion. They are often hot button issues. Not to say they shouldn't be had. Just refrained from. I would imagine you wouldn't want to have a conversation with your parents about their kinky sex life. The feeling of unease you had when just reading about it is the feeling people get when the subject of religion comes up.

My advice would be. Educate yourself.

The first step in learning, is admitting you know nothing. You found yourself here so You know how to use the internet. Whenever something doesn't sound right to you; fact check it. Watch video's on Youtube of debates, you'll find many augments people bring up on the subjects get used time and time again. Eventually you will be able to have retorts in your back pocket ready to be pulled out when ever you hear the same lines.

Welcome to the world of an Atheist, Faldi1200. It's not always pretty but it's Honest.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
07-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Hey bud! Glad we have another teenage atheist here! If you need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to ask. This is a wonderful community and they will treat you right if you treat them right.

Enjoy this place, its truly amazing. I learned a lot here during my middle teenage years.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
10-10-2015, 01:01 AM
I've got a different take on the burden of proof.

The burden is on whoever is attempting to convince someone.

So if they're trying to convince you there is a god, they have to provide some evidence in order to convince you. (How much may vary.) And if you're trying to convince them there isn't, you have to provide them with some evidence.

This is actually a pretty empowering position, because it lets you say, "I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just explaining why you haven't convinced me." At that point, the burden is very much on them... unless they're not trying to convince you either, in which case you switch to talking about sports or tv or whatever.

If you're actually trying to persuade a theist that there is no god, you've got your work cut out for you. The next time you have 10 hours free, I suggest you watch Evid3nc3's YouTube series on why he is not a Christian. He's a very rationally-oriented individual and the things that worked to deconvert him won't work on most theists, but he does an excellent job of showcasing how belief is made up of interlocking, mutually-reinforcing mistakes and errors that are collectively quite resilient.