A 7 year old says what....????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2015, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2015 10:38 AM by Tonechaser77.)
A 7 year old says what....????
I've spent the past 3 years kicking my own ass metaphorically for being apprehensive (yes you read that correctly) to study philosophy. I can remember completely avoiding the classes in college 15 years ago because I was afraid it would rip away my belief and faith in god. Facepalm While I certainly don't think this was the impetus of not being able to 'reason' well, it certainly played a part along with my fundamentalist indoctrination.

I can't help but think that Philosophy classes offered in high school and college are great but maybe we should be teaching the basics to kids in school at a much younger age so their reasoning skills are developed and honed before college is even a blip on the radar.

What are your thoughts? Overall good for a better society or we shouldn't be pushing that on kids at that young of an age...... Drinking Beverage

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
24-06-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: A 7 year old says what....????
Agreed. I also think anthropology classes should be taught early on--to let kids know that American culture/religion is not the only one out there. The idea that other cultures have differing beliefs and gods might spark children to question their own cultural belief system.
[+] 8 users Like jennybee's post
24-06-2015, 10:48 AM
(24-06-2015 10:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed. I also think anthropology classes should be taught early on--to let kids know that American culture/religion is not the only one out there. The idea that other cultures have differing beliefs and gods might spark children to question their own cultural belief system.

Yeah, an understanding of religions and how many are derived constructs would help dispel ignorance and superstition as well as put religion in it's place.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
24-06-2015, 10:54 AM
In truth I think Philosophy is a dyeing art form. Many things the Philosophers used to ponder, can be ruled out with threw the scientific method. I think it was Lawreince Krauss that said a good Philosopher makes a bad Scientist. But what do I know. I'm not ether of them.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
24-06-2015, 10:58 AM
(24-06-2015 10:54 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  In truth I think Philosophy is a dyeing art form. Many things the Philosophers used to ponder, can be ruled out with threw the scientific method. I think it was Lawreince Krauss that said a good Philosopher makes a bad Scientist. But what do I know. I'm not ether of them.

Fair point Commonsensei. One that could be argued either way, but fair. Wink

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
24-06-2015, 12:01 PM
(24-06-2015 10:54 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  In truth I think Philosophy is a dyeing art form.

Thumbsup

[Image: yhst-94738240937978_2269_1451065]

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 8 users Like Kestrel's post
25-06-2015, 09:02 AM
(24-06-2015 10:54 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  In truth I think Philosophy is a dyeing art form. Many things the Philosophers used to ponder, can be ruled out with threw the scientific method. I think it was Lawreince Krauss that said a good Philosopher makes a bad Scientist. But what do I know. I'm not ether of them.

Philosophy is the backbone of science. One can't get anywhere in science without an understanding of logic. Logic falls under the umbrella subject of philosophy.

Krauss also believes that there are moral truths; that there are right and wrong ways to live....he should stick to counting stars.

Philosophy dies where religion lives.
[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
25-06-2015, 09:15 AM
(25-06-2015 09:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Philosophy is the backbone of science. One can't get anywhere in science without an understanding of logic. Logic falls under the umbrella subject of philosophy.

Krauss also believes that there are moral truths; that there are right and wrong ways to live....he should stick to counting stars.

The Catholics says it's a "sacred science". Laugh out load

I do have a lot of respect for Krauss, (when he sticks to his own field). Tongue

When I first came to TTA I thought "Oh oh. These REALLY REALLY smart people are gonna find out I have no clue what "philosophy" is all about.

Ha.

Haha.

Hahaha.

I tried to take a middling range class this Summer in Philosophy. I dropped it. I'm too opinionated, and too used to swearing here. Weeping .. Facepalm
Can't do that in class. I have to do one to gradumatate.

TTA has RUINED me, ... ruined me I tell ya.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-06-2015, 09:30 AM
I read heaps of philosophy. Well many years ago. Unsure it did me any good.

I would like children to read The philosophical dictionary by Voltaire. Funny as hell. He adds up Job's worth. Turns out Job is like Rupert Murdoch. You want to see him get boils! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-06-2015, 10:02 AM
(25-06-2015 09:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Religion is the bastard step-child of philosophy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user