A 7 year old says what....????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2015, 10:03 AM
RE: A 7 year old says what....????
(25-06-2015 09:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 09:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Philosophy is the backbone of science. One can't get anywhere in science without an understanding of logic. Logic falls under the umbrella subject of philosophy.

Krauss also believes that there are moral truths; that there are right and wrong ways to live....he should stick to counting stars.

Philosophy dies where religion lives.

The Catholics says it's a "sacred science". Laugh out load

I do have a lot of respect for Krauss, (when he sticks to his own field). Tongue

When I first came to TTA I thought "Oh oh. These REALLY REALLY smart people are gonna find out I have no clue what "philosophy" is all about.

Ha.

Haha.

Hahaha.

I tried to take a middling range class this Summer in Philosophy. I dropped it. I'm too opinionated, and too used to swearing here. Weeping .. Facepalm
Can't do that in class. I have to do one to gradumatate.

TTA has RUINED me, ... ruined me I tell ya.

Do "Philosophy of Logic" if that is offered. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2015, 10:30 AM
(25-06-2015 09:30 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I read heaps of philosophy. Well many years ago. Unsure it did me any good.

I would like children to read The philosophical dictionary by Voltaire. Funny as hell. He adds up Job's worth. Turns out Job is like Rupert Murdoch. You want to see him get boils! Big Grin

Do you think it helped shaped your logical thinking and reasoning at all? This is why I would be a proponent of it.

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
25-06-2015, 12:17 PM
I found that Language truth and logic by A.J. Ayer to be a great starter book for philosophy and logic. For me, it served as a great tool to blend the critical thinking and logic of philosophy with the empiricism of the "hard" sciences. At 153 pages, it was both a quick read and an amazing jumping off point into other topics in philosophy. It is offered free as an ebook at archive.org

I have personally found some tenets of the principle of verification to be easily filtered down for my daughter (5) and my 'god-daughter'(8).
Although, they do not completely understand it's "meaning", they attempt to use it in practice. I have had to answer the ,"How do you 'know' that?" question many times.

“ moral virtue comesabout as a result of habit.” --Aristotle

Secular Ethos
25-06-2015, 01:42 PM
(25-06-2015 10:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 09:02 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Philosophy is the backbone of science. One can't get anywhere in science without an understanding of logic. Logic falls under the umbrella subject of philosophy.

Krauss also believes that there are moral truths; that there are right and wrong ways to live....he should stick to counting stars.

Philosophy dies where religion lives.

Religion is the bastard step-child of philosophy.

Our friends over at Suscipe Dummyknee have Philosophy and Theology together in "The Sacred Sciences". (heh heh). Proves they haven't a clue what "science" really is or how it's done ... but it's hilarious they get that, in 2015, it's "science" that rules, and somehow they have to attach their ancient woo to its coat-tails to attempt to make it look real.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-06-2015, 01:29 AM
It could be a good idea, but good teachers would be needed so it won't became another boring thing to study and memorize for the tests. Also childrens should be teached about multitude of religions existing to disprove the notion that religion popular in area is the true one - some kind of religious studies but appropriate for age.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.