A Baptist pastor's explanation of Midianite virgins being spared

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2016, 06:30 PM
A Baptist pastor's explanation of Midianite virgins being spared
I'm engaged in a email conversation with a Baptist pastor and I asked him why the virgin girls among the captured Midianites were spared and not the rest of the captives. I also followed up asking him how it was determined that the virgins were really virgins. (He hasn't replied to that part yet.)

His reply:

The Midianites were not spared because they were idolatrous, pagan peoples who had abominable religious practices and sought to corrupt (and succeeded) the israelites.

The virgins are spared as a concession to the warriors who had actually spared a lot more people, in apparent disobedience to God’s command to “avenge the people of Israel on the Midianites.” (I’m not sure about this point, since it is actually Moses who seems to be upset about the whole deal).

It seems from verse 16 that the motive for sparing the Midianites wasn’t exactly pure, since the “incident in Peor” was a whole debacle about ritual sex and fertility worship. Anyways, it seems that the virgins, by virtue of being virgins, were unstained from the sexualized religion that the Midianites had adopted, so they were spared.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2016, 06:43 PM
RE: A Baptist pastor's explanation of Midianite virgins being spared
My bible commentary mentions that the women (virgins) could have also been used as slaves or concubines.
19-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Yeah, so they were killed for not practicing their Jewish religion.

There's been a discussion of that on this thread:

Everybodies wrong

I think this is a point where you have to draw a line and say, I simply reject your god concept, when it requires making excuses for mass murder and genocide. A religion that resorts to such moral depravity is clearly man-made and any attempts to justify simply increase my disgust.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 7 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-10-2016, 07:05 PM
(19-10-2016 06:44 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yeah, so they were killed for not practicing their Jewish religion.

There's been a discussion of that on this thread:

Everybodies wrong

I think this is a point where you have to draw a line and say, I simply reject your god concept, when it requires making excuses for mass murder and genocide. A religion that resorts to such moral depravity is clearly man-made and any attempts to justify simply increase my disgust.

Yes. Genocide has no excuse other than selfish reasons for power and control. Examples include Rome and Carthage and the Mongol invasions, Nazi Germany etc.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
19-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Tell that shihead 'pastor' that men with little dicks always want virgins so they don't get laughed at!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
20-10-2016, 02:01 AM
(19-10-2016 06:30 PM)bigjay Wrote:  His reply:

The Midianites were not spared because they were idolatrous, pagan peoples who had abominable religious practices and sought to corrupt (and succeeded) the israelites.

Ask him how any of the above statements are different from what a member of ISIS/Daesch or Boko Haram would say, today. This is exactly the reasoning they give for conquering land and acting barbarically toward the conquered... "you have offended our God and tried to corrupt us with your decadent ways" is in almost literally everything I have ever heard them say.

Usually these statements are given preparatory to cutting off a few heads or kidnapping young girls to be sold into sexual slavery become the tertiary wives of the conquerors.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-10-2016, 02:23 AM
(20-10-2016 02:01 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 06:30 PM)bigjay Wrote:  His reply:

Ask him how any of the above statements are different from what a member of ISIS/Daesch or Boko Haram would say, today. This is exactly the reasoning they give for conquering land and acting barbarically toward the conquered... "you have offended our God and tried to corrupt us with your decadent ways" is in almost literally everything I have ever heard them say.

Usually these statements are given preparatory to cutting off a few heads or kidnapping young girls to be sold into sexual slavery become the tertiary wives of the conquerors.

Abominable religious practices like cutting off the big end of the egg!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
20-10-2016, 03:21 AM
(20-10-2016 02:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  Abominable religious practices like cutting off the big end of the egg!

Well I think one of the big complaints was that the peoples around them ate pork, were decadent, and worshiped false gods (and made/worshiped forbidden images called idols).

Still pretty much indistinguishable from Daesch.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
20-10-2016, 07:05 AM
(20-10-2016 03:21 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(20-10-2016 02:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  Abominable religious practices like cutting off the big end of the egg!

Well I think one of the big complaints was that the peoples around them ate pork, were decadent, and worshiped false gods (and made/worshiped forbidden images called idols).

Still pretty much indistinguishable from Daesch.

Yeah. All pretty innocuous practices by themselves, but taken together it's clear that we need to enslave the women and kill the men. For the greater good.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-10-2016, 06:32 PM
I like pork. Fuck 'em.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!