A Brush with Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2012, 06:29 PM
A Brush with Death
I guess I really an an atheist!

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/...death.html

I think I still am allowed to say Holy Crap! lol!

Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2012, 07:39 PM
RE: A Brush with Death
Crazy. Glad you're ok man.

I remember the closest I've come to death in the past (though there have been many) was this one time when I was walking my sorry ass to the mall and I'm standing on the little island that houses a light pole while waiting for the walk signal. My girlfriend of the time calls me on my cell and I answer it. I say no more than five words when I hear a loud bang and I turn quickly to see what it was.
I see the back end of a car maybe a centimeter from my guts swinging by at about 70 clicks. I say to my GF "I gotta go, I almost just died." and hang up.
The car as it turned out was driving in the wrong lane and was speeding excessively until it hit another car also speeding. My death car got spun and went right through one of those big steel beams meant to keep cars from hitting the people standing at the light waiting to walk. It didn't even slow the fucker down.
I was so casual about it too. Until like a week later it dawned on me how close I had come to being killed. And I've actually been hit by cars before. they never gave me that impression.
Anyways, it sure gives you a bit of perspective on things, at least until you forget.
You'll probably have lots of great sex for a while.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-01-2012, 07:48 PM
(16-01-2012 07:39 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Crazy. Glad you're ok man.

Anyways, it sure gives you a bit of perspective on things, at least until you forget.

Thanks ludacris!

I'm on my second glass of 12 year old Tortuga rum (which in and of itself is enough to question atheism - so incredibly good!) and finally relaxing.

I'd have to say, the great sex thing isn't happening cause of this - my wife and I made a joint resolution at new years - 2012 is already starting off very well Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
16-01-2012, 08:33 PM
(16-01-2012 07:48 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(16-01-2012 07:39 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Crazy. Glad you're ok man.

Thanks ludacris!

I'm on my second glass of 12 year old Tortuga rum (which in and of itself is enough to question atheism - so incredibly good!) and finally relaxing.

I'd have to say, the great sex thing isn't happening cause of this - my wife and I made a joint resolution at new years - 2012 is already starting off very well Wink

Bummer. I was hoping your next blog would be about the great sex!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
16-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Just have to throw in this dig.

The wonderful thing about the non-theist perspective in these cases is that you don't have to make the claim that god must have a plan for your life as he pulled you from the jaws of death for a reason. This Sunday you would be "witnessing" on the power of Jesus making a difference in your life. There would be dozens, if not hundreds, of fellow believers emotionally jacked from your story. So desperate to believe in something bigger then themselves to see god in everything from an image on a burnt piece of toast to a near death auto accident.

The truth is, "shit happens".

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
16-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Confession: Now I’m in the median – it’s about 30 feet wide between the north and southbound lanes of traffic. We’re in the mountains – on a downward slope and it’s covered by about 4-6 inches of snow. I’m doing about 70 miles per hour! The view in front of me is a bumpy white blanket of snow.

Sentencing: Jail for the lot of ya.

As a perspective of atheist morality, the post is all kinds of expressive. This atheist's morality is all kinds of up in arms. There was all kinds of law broke - from the sensationalism in the titling to the endemic lack of sense.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
16-01-2012, 09:01 PM
(16-01-2012 08:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Confession: Now I’m in the median – it’s about 30 feet wide between the north and southbound lanes of traffic. We’re in the mountains – on a downward slope and it’s covered by about 4-6 inches of snow. I’m doing about 70 miles per hour! The view in front of me is a bumpy white blanket of snow.

As a perspective of atheist morality, the post is all kinds of expressive. This atheist's morality is all kinds of up in arms. There was all kinds of law broke - from the sensationalism in the titling to the endemic lack of sense.

Does rationalism mean you have to write a boring story now?

There's nothing wrong with writing that way, as long as when the author's claims are evaluated only the real evidence and logic are examined.
16-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I've already died once and came back a long time ago, but this summer I had a similar brush with death on the highway driving home at night. The highway I'm on has 3 lanes going west and 3 lanes going east with a concrete divider. The highway contains a fair number of slow rising and falling hills, so at the bottom, you really have no idea what might await you in the next little valley.

Of course, there should be nothing because like I said - 3 lanes of traffic all going in the same direction on either side.
So I'm driving along in the middle lane late at night, music up loud and a bit tired. I see that someone a little ways in front of me has some bright white tail lights.
An odd thing I thought and then realized that they were tail lights. They were head lights coming directly at me. Luckily no one was in my right lane as I moved over to the right and this vehicle drives right through were I would have been in a second or less. I have no idea how lucky the next person would be in the direction I was coming from, but my heart was racing as if death drove right by and smiled.

I took a breath and dialed 911 - They seriously had me on hold.
I hung up - took another deep breath and dialed again - now a bit more shaken as the reality of what could have happened clearly gains footing in my mind.
I spoke to someone and they said they already had several calls about it and they had someone on their way.

The idea of death doesn't scare me. What does scare me is the pain and loss my family would feel and face had I not made a quick reaction.
I want to see as much of this life as I can before I punch out, but more importantly, I want others to have as much of me before I my time ends.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-01-2012, 09:27 PM
(16-01-2012 09:01 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(16-01-2012 08:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Confession: Now I’m in the median – it’s about 30 feet wide between the north and southbound lanes of traffic. We’re in the mountains – on a downward slope and it’s covered by about 4-6 inches of snow. I’m doing about 70 miles per hour! The view in front of me is a bumpy white blanket of snow.

Does rationalism mean you have to write a boring story now?

There's nothing wrong with writing that way, as long as when the author's claims are evaluated only the real evidence and logic are examined.

There's all kinds of thinks wrong with that post, legally, morally, and ethically. As far as this forum goes, we're a "family community;" my good siblings got the goodness outta my way so I could do the evil. There is a direct link between my conception of evil and my conception of the lawyer within - note how my post starts with confession, a big no-no. Tongue

Going from where I quoted his blog, he went off the reservation in terms of ethical perspective. He claims that the purpose of the blog is to direct attention to criminal negligence; think the law is gonna work any harder than I? Someone goes, "I was going 70 mph downhill in 4-6 inches of snow;" there's the negligence. Bird in hand, singing like a canary.

He wants to make a case out of it by posting; but the case closed itself.

As a case for atheist morality as it relates to me, there's much being said in terms of a global perspective. Morality is emotional context; the holistic perspective I'm receiving is that Sean is morally outraged at himself for risking his wife's life, and is expressing that outrage it terms of what he perceives to be "the greater insult." And that happens all day long, regardless of religion or lack thereof.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Glad you made it out alive Smile