A Brush with Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 07:34 AM
RE: A Brush with Death
Indeed, glad you are okay.

About seven years ago now I was on my way across the U.S. A girl on her phone came at me from the left into my lane. It pushed my right front tire into the dirt and put me at a backward spin across three lanes of heavy traffic at 75 miles an hour. I hit the inner cement guard and ripped my Grand Am apart like cheese as it spun against it. I got out with nothing but a bit of a rash from the seat belt on my neck.

Now. What really pissed me off after this was the whole religious side of my family constantly telling me how guardian angels and whatnot must have been watching over me.
I remember a guest on TTA podcast that quoted a friend saying something along the lines of "Wasn't Jesus that saved him, it was the God damn rollbar."

In my case, it seems incredibly lucky, but it wasn't Jesus, it was a uni-body breakaway engine design with airbags! Good engineering saved my life and I'll give credit where it is due.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
17-01-2012, 07:45 AM
(16-01-2012 09:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Going from where I quoted his blog, he went off the reservation in terms of ethical perspective. He claims that the purpose of the blog is to direct attention to criminal negligence; think the law is gonna work any harder than I? Someone goes, "I was going 70 mph downhill in 4-6 inches of snow;" there's the negligence. Bird in hand, singing like a canary.

He wants to make a case out of it by posting; but the case closed itself.

As a case for atheist morality as it relates to me, there's much being said in terms of a global perspective. Morality is emotional context; the holistic perspective I'm receiving is that Sean is morally outraged at himself for risking his wife's life, and is expressing that outrage it terms of what he perceives to be "the greater insult." And that happens all day long, regardless of religion or lack thereof.

Cantor - I'm a big boy, so I'll address your misguided criticism

First off big guy - the speed limit on I-81 is 65 miles per hour.

You don't pass a vehicle, let alone a truck, in the left lane doing the same speed as the car in front of you - you actually have to accelerate to pass - unless you are one of those guys that likes to camp in the left lane, pulling alongside the vehicle you are attempting to pass and enter into negotiations about how the person in the right lane should slow down a bit to allow you to pass -- I see that quite often, so you wouldn't be alone...

As for the primary purpose I stated for writing the article -- yesterday evening we received the following e-mail:
Quote:"My wife and I were right behind you (in a blue Suburban) and saw the whole incident today on I-81. We are very glad to hear that you are okay. Our family was horrified by the way that truck ran you off the road and then kept going. We noticed that he had been driving aggressively and erratically for several miles. We caught up with the truck immediately afterwards and called 911 and were put through to the state police who took down the license number of the trailer as well as the name of the trucking company. We later googled the name of the trucking company and that lead us to your blog.

For what it's worth, we happen to be Christians and did say a quick prayer of thanks to God that you were able to bring your car under control. It looked pretty dicey there as we watched the incident unfold.

I would hope that the state police would follow up regarding this incident. We gave them our cell number, but let us know if you ever need us to provide a witness report. The driver should definitely have his license revoked."

Hold your opinions dear HoC - but I'm not playing along with you...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2012, 08:26 AM
(17-01-2012 07:45 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Cantor - I'm a big boy, so I'll address your misguided criticism

Which you did not do. You equivocated. My comments here began with reading "a brush with death" and having the evil lawyer summoned from within. That's the context of the criticism; legal advice, take it or leave it.

You know I'm an asshole; but me and you don't have any problems. If being an experienced driver under those kinds of conditions is part of your moral zero-state; that's all you. My experience in those kind of conditions is not to do 70mph. 65 + acceleration is not an improvement. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-01-2012, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 10:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
Girly had his own encounter with the Grim Reaper some 15 years ago but it was more sustained. Due to a misdiagnosis I was in a hospital bed for 24 hours with a burst appendix. There is pain and then there is dying. No amount of demerol or dilaudid made any difference whatsoever. Didn't even touch it. I never once thought of God, I had enough to deal with at the time. I'm a big disbeliever in deathbed conversions, I don't think you're even capable of paying attention to some fool trying to save your sorry soul when you're doing your damndest to try and save your sorry ass, at least I wasn't. Wink Last thing I remember before they finally put me under the knife (and what should have been a routine laparoscopic procedure resulted in a cut big enough for a vacuum to go in and suck out the rotten shit followed by 3 weeks intravenous administration of the most advanced shit on the planet) was the anesthesiologist asking "Why wasn't this man in here yesterday?" My last thought was, "Yeah. That."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-01-2012, 08:54 PM
(17-01-2012 08:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You know I'm an asshole; but me and you don't have any problems.

One out of two ain't bad...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
(17-01-2012 07:34 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  Indeed, glad you are okay.

About seven years ago now I was on my way across the U.S. A girl on her phone came at me from the left into my lane. It pushed my right front tire into the dirt and put me at a backward spin across three lanes of heavy traffic at 75 miles an hour. I hit the inner cement guard and ripped my Grand Am apart like cheese as it spun against it. I got out with nothing but a bit of a rash from the seat belt on my neck.

Now. What really pissed me off after this was the whole religious side of my family constantly telling me how guardian angels and whatnot must have been watching over me.
I remember a guest on TTA podcast that quoted a friend saying something along the lines of "Wasn't Jesus that saved him, it was the God damn rollbar."

In my case, it seems incredibly lucky, but it wasn't Jesus, it was a uni-body breakaway engine design with airbags! Good engineering saved my life and I'll give credit where it is due.

not to mention the was ripped apart and not you
11-10-2012, 06:06 PM
not sure how to delete this double post =/
11-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I space out too much so when I cross a road these is a car in the way. Usually they slam on the brakes and hit me at the gently knock over point, but it's still scary.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.