A Bunch of Smart as Shit Southern Baptists Trying to Reconcile Evolution w/ Scripture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 08:32 PM
A Bunch of Smart as Shit Southern Baptists Trying to Reconcile Evolution w/ Scripture
Hey Genesisdude,
Given your assertion that you believe the Bible hasn't been proven wrong, how do you deal with this sort of statement?

No one can prove Leprechauns and Unicorns don't exist. Therefore they must be real creatures.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-08-2012, 10:28 AM
RE: A Bunch of Smart as Shit Southern Baptists Trying to Reconcile Evolution
Oh and Girly... the Biologos guys are Southern Baptists. They are battling the Southern Baptists on the view of evolution.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
RE: A Bunch of Smart asses
According to this work of fiction The Bible, God himself doesn't care for the book of Genesis... mostly because it was written by humans that didn't know what the fuck was going on in his head.

The book of Job is unique in that the God character actually speaks -not a profit - not God speaking through someone- it's actually him. Job btw, is actually the "first book" in this fable.

God confronts Job about humans being arrogant little shits who weren't even there when he laid out the firmament and the measurement of time. God was pretty cranky about that... among other things. Dodgy

God was not happy with this "inspired" shit being attributed to him. But hey... that's what they mean by "creative differences".

Too many cooks can spoil the broth. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
11-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I didn't think apathetic ignostics knew anything about the Bible.Huh

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
RE: A Bunch of Smart asses
(11-08-2012 11:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I didn't think apathetic ignostics knew anything about the Bible.Huh

Oh we know about it... we just don't give a shit about it. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-08-2012, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 05:30 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: A Bunch of Smart as Shit Southern Ba
(08-08-2012 08:38 AM)Fromgenesis Wrote:  If however we start to "compromise" to suit "the world", it becomes a problem. A fairly obvious example could be the position towards homosexuals. There are a large number of Christian churches that do no longer frown upon gay marriages etc. So they adapt to become "acceptable".

Every law in the human texts, that were written by humans, in known human contexts, for known human reasons, then changed multiple times, as every scholar knows, that eventually was VOTED in a non-unanimous vote into what became, eventually known as the Bible, and rearranged again, multiple times, and containing many many injunctions which today are considered barbaric, and/or irrelevant, for only cultural reasons, has as it's origin a known cultural context. The idea that any law in the Bible originates from a deity, and is immutable, is simply false.

The proof is as follows :

Gods are not the source of morality. The Platonic Conundrum, (Bucky's negative re-write of Euthyphro's Dilemma).

1. Something is wrong, because god says it's wrong.

2. Why did god say it's wrong ?
3. Did he have a good reason ?

4. If there is no good reason, then it could be right.
5. If there is a good reason, that reason exists, apart from god.

6. Could he have said it's right ?
7. If he could not say it's right, then truth and moral value exist apart from god.

8. Is it wrong because god says it's wrong, or is it wrong, because it's objectively wrong, and god had to say that ?
9. Would it be right if god says it's right ?

Conclusions:

If god could not have said it's right, and still be god, then the source of the moral law is not god.
If it would still be wrong even if god says it's right, then the source of morality is not god.

If the source of morality is not god, then we must look elsewhere for guidance

(BTW, this proof, is also valid for "causality", ie "First Cause", and is also proof of god's non-existence, and non-contingent nature.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-08-2012, 08:15 PM
(11-08-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh and Girly... the Biologos guys are Southern Baptists. They are battling the Southern Baptists on the view of evolution.

Isn't that what I said?

Breathing - it's more art than science.
14-08-2012, 10:40 PM
(14-08-2012 08:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 10:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh and Girly... the Biologos guys are Southern Baptists. They are battling the Southern Baptists on the view of evolution.

Isn't that what I said?

Oops... type-o.

*aren't

They aren't Southern Baptists.

15-08-2012, 12:01 AM
(14-08-2012 10:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 08:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Isn't that what I said?

Oops... type-o.

*aren't

Don't think it's your call, I'll leave it with them.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
15-08-2012, 12:07 AM
(15-08-2012 12:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-08-2012 10:40 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oops... type-o.

*aren't

Don't think it's your call, I'll leave it with them.

No, they really aren't. They're battling the SBs. That's what that whole thing is about.