A CASE FOR MOVIES OVER BOOKS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
A CASE FOR MOVIES OVER BOOKS
Here's my opinion. Feel free to roast me, critique me, or maybe even agree with me!! Thumbsup

Alright so think about it. The Movie is shorter and more condensed, so more time to do other things. It holds your attention more with visuals and sounds and is more fun too. Plus sometimes the movies produce good soundtracks you can listen to later. Or good clips you can use to make memes! I would say a movie makes more of an experience than a book does.

Some people say Movies don't include everything and aren't true to the book. But honestly I don't care if it includes everything and isn't completely true to the book. Honestly I don't want to know every little detail, that's just too much information. I'd rather see the whole picture then every little detail as far as Movies vs Books goes.

Also books are huge, heavy, and take up too much space. DVD case's are light, small, and don't take up too much space. And if you don't want the DVD, you can watch the movie just fine at the theatre or online; no physical space taken up.

Movies promote 'together-ness' more than books. You can all watch a movie together but can you read a book together? Yes, but this is easily more accomplished with a movie.

In short, Movies are easy, simple, and fun! Books are heavy, extensive, and require work mentally.

And that was my Books vs Movies rant. Sorry, had to get it out.

Am I wrong Folks? Let me know, I'm always interested to hear other opinions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2016, 11:19 AM
RE: A CASE FOR MOVIES OVER BOOKS
Like comparing masturbation to sex (with a real partner)......

Both are nice, but hardly equally engaging.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Books use words and take the time they need to get a point across or set a scene. The movies have to ask "does this move the plot along?"

I liked the LOTR movies because I hadn't bought every calendar since they were published. (The guys who did the calendars worked on set design.) Seeing things like Helm's Deep helped me visualize things nicely.

And people who complain that the movies don't cover everything in the book should have to sit through a movie where they do cover everything, so the movie is about two years long. The LOTR movies were movies about the world JRR created, not a word-for-word translation to the screen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
(05-10-2016 11:15 AM)Cumulus Wrote:  Here's my opinion. Feel free to roast me, critique me, or maybe even agree with me!! Thumbsup

Alright so think about it. The Movie is shorter and more condensed, so more time to do other things. It holds your attention more with visuals and sounds and is more fun too. Plus sometimes the movies produce good soundtracks you can listen to later. Or good clips you can use to make memes! I would say a movie makes more of an experience than a book does.

Some people say Movies don't include everything and aren't true to the book. But honestly I don't care if it includes everything and isn't completely true to the book. Honestly I don't want to know every little detail, that's just too much information. I'd rather see the whole picture then every little detail as far as Movies vs Books goes.

Also books are huge, heavy, and take up too much space. DVD case's are light, small, and don't take up too much space. And if you don't want the DVD, you can watch the movie just fine at the theatre or online; no physical space taken up.

Movies promote 'together-ness' more than books. You can all watch a movie together but can you read a book together? Yes, but this is easily more accomplished with a movie.

In short, Movies are easy, simple, and fun! Books are heavy, extensive, and require work mentally.

And that was my Books vs Movies rant. Sorry, had to get it out.

Am I wrong Folks? Let me know, I'm always interested to hear other opinions.

There is no right or wrong here -- it's an opinion. You prefer movies -- no problem. I think books are infinitely superior -- but that's just my opinion.

Reading a book is (or should be) a creative experience. You have to do some work to visualize things, "read between the lines", guess what point the author might be trying to get across, etc. It stimulates your imagination more than a movie does, because it requires you to use your imagination. But you get out of it what you put into it. A movie does everything for you -- I see it as the lazy man's way out. Another advantage of a book is that you can take it with you and read it wherever you may be, and since it makes no noise, you don't need to worry about disturbing anyone else. And you don't need any special equipment -- just you and the book.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
05-10-2016, 11:54 AM
(05-10-2016 11:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Like comparing masturbation to sex (with a real partner)......

Which illuminates another potential advantage of movies.

It's difficult to masturbate while reading a book. With the movie you not only have your hands free, but a visualization, such as Jason butchering teenagers with his machete (just an example, everyone has their own tastes) to keep you stimulated.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
05-10-2016, 11:56 AM
(05-10-2016 11:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 11:19 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Like comparing masturbation to sex (with a real partner)......

Which illuminates another potential advantage of movies.

It's difficult to masturbate while reading a book. With the movie you not only have your hands free, but a visualization, such as Jason butchering teenagers with his machete (just an example, everyone has their own tastes) to keep you stimulated.

Unsure You masturbate to machete murders? Huh

...it had to be asked. Tongue
05-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Sacrilege!

I can't read a superb piece of wordsmithing over and again in a video.

The images on the screen are poor things compared to those in my head.

I can't just pick the video up and flip, in seconds, to a favourite passage or picture.

I can't take the video to the hospital waiting room (where I spend a fair amount of time).

I would need another screen or a portable player for when in bed.

I can read my nooks even if the electricity fails,

I have not watched TV for ten years and not missed it.

I have a screen that plays videos and but have not even opened the last three videos I bought (one over three months ago) yet.

I have however bought and read about ten actual hooks and many more ebooks in that time.

Yeah, OK, the shelves are creaking, there is about half a hundred weight of paper hanging over my head every night.

Give me books every time!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
05-10-2016, 11:57 AM
(05-10-2016 11:56 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 11:54 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Which illuminates another potential advantage of movies.

Unsure You masturbate to machete murders? Huh

...it had to be asked. Tongue

Just a completely random example off the top of my head. And in my defense, they're usually naked.

'Murican Canadian
05-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Depends on the book and/or movie.

I'm not a big fan of Anne Rice movies, but I hate her books. Seriously. Who the fuck takes up two fucking pages to describe a fucking tapestry? The book isn't about a fucking tapestry!

On the flip side, I do enjoy Heinlein's books, yet haven't seen a decent screen adaptation yet. I guess movie producers figure that the public doesn't want to see "talking-heads sci-fi".

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
05-10-2016, 12:05 PM
I can rarely get through the long books that most people rave about. For those I have to settle for the audio book. My attention span can be rounded down to zero.

There are some good zombie options in books that haven't made their way to TV though.

'Murican Canadian