A Challenge for Moral Realists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2016, 10:42 PM
RE: A Challenge for Moral Realists
(02-01-2016 10:39 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  In evolutionary terms?

The tendacy for life to seek out the best possibly of continued existence be it through direct or indirect means.

That is not how evolution works. There is no seeking, there are no goals.

Evolution is the logically certain outcome of imperfect replication and differential reproductive success.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-01-2016, 10:50 PM
(02-01-2016 10:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  

The tendacy for life to seek out the best possibly of continued existence be it through direct or indirect means.

That is not how evolution works. There is no seeking, there are no goals.

Evolution is the logically certain outcome of imperfect replication and differential reproductive success.
Sounds like the definition. of stagnant to me.

By the way, I didn't insinuate the evolution had a goal, I insinuated that life did.

Peace
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2016, 11:10 PM
(02-01-2016 10:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 10:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is not how evolution works. There is no seeking, there are no goals.

Sounds like the definition. of stagnant to me.

If that sounds stagnant, you really don't understand it. It's about change.

Quote:By the way, I didn't insinuate the evolution had a goal, I insinuated that life did.

Peace

The stuff you pasted is about the mechanisms of evolution, not about living.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-01-2016, 11:18 PM
(02-01-2016 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 10:50 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Sounds like the definition. of stagnant to me.

If that sounds stagnant, you really don't understand it. It's about change.

Quote:By the way, I didn't insinuate the evolution had a goal, I insinuated that life did.

Peace

Yeah I know because evolution has s*** to do with life right?
02-01-2016, 11:27 PM
(02-01-2016 11:18 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  If that sounds stagnant, you really don't understand it. It's about change.

What do you think kin selection is? What do you think a gene (or genes) for altruism are like? How do you think they might spread through a population?

They would spread (or disappear) by differential reproductive success of the members of the population. It is by natural selection.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-01-2016, 06:58 AM

Why do you insist on rephrasing it in the form of an ignorant deepity?

This is why you constantly fail to get your point across, are you going to attempt to plug this description into your deepity generation machine to say something vacuous?

You're talking about a scientific subject, don't throw in deepity-do da into it.

Evolution is a specific process of descent with modification, don't impute intent to it, it is a process.

Definition of evolution

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-01-2016, 07:16 AM
(03-01-2016 06:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

Why do you insist on rephrasing it in the form of an ignorant deepity?

This is why you constantly fail to get your point across, are you going to attempt to plug this description into your deepity generation machine to say something vacuous?

You're talking about a scientific subject, don't throw in deepity-do da into it.

Evolution is a specific process of descent with modification, don't impute intent to it, it is a process.

Definition of evolution
The f****** intent is for the continuation of f****** life. If that's a f****** deepity to you, which isn't a real word, then go end your life, because evidently, you feel that life isn't very significant, nor is the intent of it, which, by the way, is to continue.
03-01-2016, 07:16 AM
(02-01-2016 11:18 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 11:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  If that sounds stagnant, you really don't understand it. It's about change.

No, it’s because your definitions have s**t to do with evolution.

You simply don’t understand the concept, plain and simple, and it shows everytime you attempt at describing it in your own words.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-01-2016, 07:23 AM
(03-01-2016 07:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-01-2016 11:18 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeah I know because evolution has s*** to do with life right?

No, it’s because your definitions have s**t to do with evolution.

You simply don’t understand the concept, plain and simple, and it shows everytime you attempt at describing it in your own words.
Just cuz my definitions don't excuse violence and selfishness in an enclosed system thinking that it will somehow extend your own genes and that's the whole purpose of life, doesn't mean I don't understand evolution. That's kind of like saying I don't understand Faith just because the rest of the world doesn't understand my point of view on faith. Now why don't all of you flip the f*** out of actually mentioned faith in a discussion we were starting to talk about evolution. You f****** are so close minded I don't know why or how I tolerate you sometimes.

Evolution is the life changing to better fit its habitat.

If that isn't for the intent of continued existence then I'm a fucking moron like most of you think.

Otherwise, most of you need to open your eyes to whom of us is actually being spoon feed bullshit with our blinders on.
03-01-2016, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 08:27 AM by Full Circle.)
(03-01-2016 07:16 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 06:58 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Why do you insist on rephrasing it in the form of an ignorant deepity?

Definition of evolution
The f****** intent is for the continuation of f****** life. If that's a f****** deepity to you, which isn't a real word, then go end your life, because evidently, you feel that life isn't very significant, nor is the intent of it, which, by the way, is to continue.

Why all the aggressiveness?

Here is an 8 minute primer, take the time to watch it, and don’t try to add or subtract from the facts stated in it or restate the definitions. Pretty straight forward.

ps and here is the video for natural selection by Stated Clearly.

and one more, not because I think popsthebuilder will watch it but because I find facts and knowledge to be a beautiful thing!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post