A Challenge for Moral Realists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2016, 08:04 PM
RE: A Challenge for Moral Realists
(03-01-2016 08:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You still don't get it. Your race has never been an issue with me. Why should mine be an issue for you?

Your race is not an issue for me. I'm sure your a phenomenal person. I don't like you any less because of your race, I like you just as much as I like anybody else, regardless of race.

It's just what should be an obvious fact, that we likely have a considerable amount of distinct experiences, brought along by the fact of being born to one ethnicity more so than the other. And these distinct experiences, create difficulties in relating with each other, and even as we can see in this case, understanding each other.

My life is likely to be as much of enigma for you, as yours is likely to be an enigma for me. There's no judgement here.

Not understanding should lead to wanting to better understand. You seem to be set in your mind that those differences are insurmountable.

I don't see it that way.

Our experiences are different; that makes things more interesting. But we are still people with families, lives, jobs, hopes and dreams, challenges, and everything that goes with being a human being.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2016, 08:08 PM
(03-01-2016 07:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What is a white boy's life? Do you think we are all trust fund babies strutting around bragging about how great it is to be white?

Well, in this case, the white boys life is one that takes what I said offensively, or misinterprets what i've said along the lines of whatever stereotypes your accustomed to hearing associated with being white. "Trust fund babies; folks bragging about how great it is to be white".

I don't believe that because your white, your life is anymore easier than mine, but some how you interpret this suggestion into what I wrote.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
(03-01-2016 07:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:51 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No one is playing the victim card lol, and it usually in exchanges like this that our difference become apparent. But you have your own history, some times proud, sometimes not, even in the story of your Grandmother, you identify not with the slave who ate inside, but to her life. Thats just the person your bound to empathize more with, who sense of life, you identify better with. You more easily identify with whites who freed the slaves, than the life of the slave himself.

This is not a question which history and it's stories are better, it's not question of morality, or superiority, or victimhood, but the idea of identity, of those who share a common sense of life and experiences with, that makes one group more relatable to us than the next.

You still don't get it. Your race has never been an issue with me. Why should mine be an issue for you?

So tell us what race are you if you are not of the human race? Back when my kids were being enrolled in school I, a white guy, crossed out the race box, or marked it other and wrote in human. I remember a black enrollment personnel asking me what that meant. I turned it on her and asked her if she didn't realize if my kids were not human she would not let them in the school at all.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
(03-01-2016 07:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How about a poor white kid who grew up in the ghetto? Can you feel me now?

Probably more so than the white guy on a farm, but probably not as much as the black kid who grew up in the ghetto, or the Chinese kid who grew up in the ghetto.

For a supposedly "spiritual" man, your empathy sucks ass.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-01-2016, 08:11 PM
(03-01-2016 08:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't believe that because your white, your life is anymore easier than mine, but some how you interpret this suggestion into what I wrote.
double double mint gum

#sigh
03-01-2016, 08:11 PM
(03-01-2016 08:08 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You still don't get it. Your race has never been an issue with me. Why should mine be an issue for you?

So tell us what race are you if you are not of the human race? Back when my kids were being enrolled in school I, a white guy, crossed out the race box, or marked it other and wrote in human. I remember a black enrollment personnel asking me what that meant. I turned it on her and asked her if she didn't realize if my kids were not human she would not let them in the school at all.

Kind of the point I was getting at. Tomasia is the one who is separating us by color and letting us know that he can't relate to white folk...not even poor white folk.

I think we found the bigot in this crowd and it isn't me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-01-2016, 08:18 PM
(03-01-2016 07:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How about a poor white kid who grew up in the ghetto? Can you feel me now?

Probably more so than the white guy on a farm, but probably not as much as the black kid who grew up in the ghetto, or the Chinese kid who grew up in the ghetto.

No whities in your ghetto?

#sigh
03-01-2016, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 08:24 PM by Tomasia.)
(03-01-2016 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not understanding should lead to wanting to better understand. You seem to be set in your mind that those differences are insurmountable.

I don't see it that way.

Our experiences are different; that makes things more interesting. But we are still people with families, lives, jobs, hopes and dreams, challenges, and everything that goes with being a human being.

I do wonder if these differences are insurmountable, in a lot of ways I think they are insurmountable. And this doesn't have to be about race. If you're a women, I might read everything I can, listen to all the descriptions of what it's like to be woman, but I'll never be able understand what it's like to be a woman, the a way woman is able to understand what it's like to be a woman. Or if your victim of sexual abuse, I might read all about what that's like, but never truly understand what it's like to be a victim of sexual abuse as someone whose been through it. Or in way that I can read all about fatherhood, but I won't be able to truly understand what it's like to be a father, until I have kids of my own. Or that folks who never served in the military, will likely be unable to truly understand what it's like to serve, the way those that have served are able to.

So I think there is something insurmountable here, that's not matter of failing to listen to each other, or not trying hard enough to understand, but insurmountable by a lack of a corresponding experience. This doesn't mean that we don't have common experiences, because clearly we do, but there are often some unique experiences, as result of circumstance we might never be privy to.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-01-2016, 08:22 PM
(03-01-2016 08:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Kind of the point I was getting at. Tomasia is the one who is separating us by color and letting us know that he can't relate to white folk...not even poor white folk.

I don't think Tomasilly is a bigot. He just shits out of his mouth whatever silliness pops into his head without consideration.

#sigh
03-01-2016, 08:36 PM
(03-01-2016 08:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 08:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Kind of the point I was getting at. Tomasia is the one who is separating us by color and letting us know that he can't relate to white folk...not even poor white folk.

I don't think Tomasilly is a bigot. He just shits out of his mouth whatever silliness pops into his head without consideration.

If he isn't a bigot, he certainly sounds like one.

He may not be able to deal with people who are different from him - which is everyone, by the way - but I am not able to deal with people who are so closed-minded.

I will show myself out.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post