A Challenge for Moral Realists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2016, 11:16 PM
RE: A Challenge for Moral Realists
Color has nothing to do with prejudice.

Poverty is the deciding factor in my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2016, 11:56 PM
(03-01-2016 11:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Color has nothing to do with prejudice.

Humans have evolved to distrust those that are different, it is hypothesized that this came about as a survival mechanism. Being prejudiced is an evolutionary trait.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-01-2016, 11:58 PM
(03-01-2016 11:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Color has nothing to do with prejudice.

When studies have shown that identical resumes with different names get significantly different call back rates, depending on whether the name sounds white and male versus an ethnically black name or a female name? Yeah, there's a whole hell of a lot more to it than just prejudice against the poor.

Good thing your uninformed opinions aren't worth shit.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-01-2016, 12:06 AM
(03-01-2016 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Even though I live in NZ, I am surrounded by people that believe in imaginary invisible undetectable magical creature which they call their god.

Is it the Maori? Tell me it's the Maori. Big Grin
The Maori peoples they have many gods, Tane is the main god, they also have the Tanewha which is a magical monster. NZ was fished up out of the ocean by Maui using his grandmother's jaw bone as a hook.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
04-01-2016, 12:13 AM
(03-01-2016 07:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Tomasia doesn't even belong to a church, he is a ministry of one, his religion is of his making although he adopts the bible as inspiration and the name "Jesus" as a focus and desires to call himself a "Christian".

lol, I do belong to a church, in fact it's an evangelical one, that subscribes to Reformed Calvinism. And I was raised in a fundie evangelical church. The sort of folks you categorize as "most christians", are my own family, friends, community etc...
Oops sorry, I do recall you saying something in a past thread regarding that you thought you mostly aligned with catholics but you were not a catholic.
Anyways, at least I now know what you affiliate with "Reformed Calvanism"

(03-01-2016 07:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Just the fact that you do not believe that the bible is the inspired word of god seperates you and your beliefs from that of many Christians.

I believe the bible is the inspired word of God, but probably not in the way you interpret that to mean.
This is a bit of a laugh, you criticise me for saying that many Christians believe that the bible is the inspired word of god. Now you state this about yourself. I am left Shocking
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
04-01-2016, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 03:16 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(03-01-2016 07:31 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I believe the bible is the inspired word of God, but probably not in the way you interpret that to mean.

Too bad that, no matter your belief or interpretation, it is evidently the much edited, borrowed, stolen, misquoted, and mistranslated fictitious work of fallible men with relatively straightforward and mundane power struggles and political goals. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-01-2016, 06:16 AM
(03-01-2016 08:49 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Without Faith one might succumb to a belief in nihilism or think regardless of what they do that life itself is erelevent and or not worth more than one can acquire through physical means.

With faith one might feel they have the right to impose their unfounded, irrational beliefs on others. With faith one might base their decisions on their unfounded, irrational beliefs which is a suboptimal way to operate. With faith one might waste their life pretending to know answers to questions they don't even understand. Faith is not a path to knowledge.

You know pops, if there is a god and he really did choose you as an instrument to deliver his message then he has to be the most incompetent entity ever. Either that or he has a truly twisted sense of humor.

You need help pops. Get some.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
04-01-2016, 06:58 AM
(03-01-2016 10:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 07:54 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Probably more so than the white guy on a farm, but probably not as much as the black kid who grew up in the ghetto, or the Chinese kid who grew up in the ghetto.

You know nothing about my history. I really don't give a fuck whether you can feel empathy for me, but your presumption and ignorance are apparent to everyone but you.

I wasn't referring to you there.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-01-2016, 07:05 AM
(04-01-2016 02:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Too bad that, no matter your belief or interpretation, it is evidently the much edited, borrowed, stolen, misquoted, and mistranslated fictitious work of fallible men with relatively straightforward and mundane power struggles and political goals. Drinking Beverage

The bible has been much edited, stories have been borrowed and reimagined, mistranslated, incorporating history and myth, is work written by fallible men, often dealing with power struggle and political goals. Yet an inspired work.

Composed of characters that are almost entirely unrelatable for you, othered as a bunch of ignorant goat herders. With no real connection for the enlightened men of our age.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-01-2016, 07:27 AM
(04-01-2016 07:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-01-2016 02:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Too bad that, no matter your belief or interpretation, it is evidently the much edited, borrowed, stolen, misquoted, and mistranslated fictitious work of fallible men with relatively straightforward and mundane power struggles and political goals. Drinking Beverage

The bible has been much edited, stories have been borrowed and reimagined, mistranslated, incorporating history and myth, is work written by fallible men, often dealing with power struggle and political goals. Yet an inspired work.

Composed of characters that are almost entirely unrelatable for you, othered as a bunch of ignorant goat herders. With no real connection for the enlightened men of our age.

They were a bunch of "ignorant goat herders", in that they were ignorant of many things known not only today, but known in the ancient world by more-advanced civilizations. And many of them herded goats (and sheep), especially in the pre-Davidic era. The entire story of Jacob and Laban's flocks in Genesis 30 is about building the wealth to become a founder of Israel by using a false form of presumed adaptation (called Lamarckian plasticity of heritable traits) that Gregor Mendel later discovered was total bullshit.

That doesn't mean they had "no connection to the enlightened men of our age", but simply that they had a culture and knowledge-base that was barbaric by modern standards. I'm sure there were many geniuses and great leaders among them. There are quite a few Bible verses (and many other holy scriptures) I find enlightening and/or uplifting. Yet, at the end of the day, they were a desert-dwelling, semi-nomadic pack of goat herders whose scriptures have done great damage by preserving their ignorance, violence, xenophobia, homophobia, and sexism for people in the modern world to emulate.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "inspired work", because if some Creator of the Universe was sending that information, he sent a lot of really bad information to the writers. They got nearly every significant detail wrong, from science to history. Why, then, should I believe that any of it was inspired by anything other than religious fanaticism and/or political motivations? It is clear to any neutral observer that your scriptures are no more accurate or better-written than other scriptures, such as the Vedas, which you discount (as we do) as bullshit written by humans in the name of their imaginary gods.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post