A Challenge to Theists, Atheists, and Agnostics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2011, 03:13 PM
A Challenge to Theists, Atheists, and Agnostics
Okay, I have a challenge for all theists, atheists, and agnostics on this site. I want you to start by asking yourself why you believe or don't believe what you do. Then, keep asking yourself why you gave the answer that you gave, until you cannot come up with another question or answer.

For example, if you are a theist, I would like you to start with:
"Why do I believe in god?"
Say, for example, the answer is:
"Because the [insert name of holy book here] tells me he is real."
The next question, then, would be:
"Why do I choose to believe this book?"

The catch is that you cannot use an answer more than once. So, if you've already used the answer "the Bible tells me so", then you cannot use it again. The key here is to avoid circular arguments and try to get to the root of your belief/unbelief. I was originally going to just challenge the theists who come to this site, but I thought it would be beneficial for everybody to objectively question their opinions. I am still in the process of asking these questions to myself, so I'll post my answer(s) when I come up with them Tongue

Also, if anybody has any other ideas/suggestions to add to this, feel free Big Grin

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 07:40 PM
RE: A Challenge to Theists, Atheists, and Agnostics
Why don't I believe in god ?
Because there is not enough evidence to support the claim of a god.

That's all there is to me - sorry if you were expecting more.
I could go to the tiresome array of theist questions about the universe , morality and life but I doubt that's what you want to see.
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
17-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I would start the same but I would continue.

Why don't I think there is enough evidence to support the claim of a god?

Because I have a method of examining evidence to see if something holds enough truth to warrant belief. God fails this check.

Why do I have this check of examining evidence to see if a belief is true?

Because I want to believe as many true things as possible while avoiding false things.

Why do I want to avoid believing in false beliefs?

False beliefs can cause someone to make bad choices. I want to make good choices which means I need accurate information.
17-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Disbelief is so boring though, since all there really is to it is that there is no evidence.
I don't believe in a god because I see no reason to.
I see not reason to believe in a s god because there is no evidence.
I say there is no evidence because I have yet to see compelling evidence for god.

I'll try to think of a real belief I have, not just a disbelief, and do another one for that. Should be better.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
17-01-2011, 09:42 AM
(16-01-2011 07:40 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Why don't I believe in god ?
Because there is not enough evidence to support the claim of a god.

That's all there is to me - sorry if you were expecting more.
I could go to the tiresome array of theist questions about the universe , morality and life but I doubt that's what you want to see.

You could go on to ask why you need evidence Tongue
(17-01-2011 07:52 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Disbelief is so boring though, since all there really is to it is that there is no evidence.
I don't believe in a god because I see no reason to.
I see not reason to believe in a s god because there is no evidence.
I say there is no evidence because I have yet to see compelling evidence for god.

I'll try to think of a real belief I have, not just a disbelief, and do another one for that. Should be better.

I agree, it is harder to do this for disbelief than for a belief. All I can say is, why do you need evidence?

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
17-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Why I need evidence ? - because it's a bad idea (from personal experience) to accept ideas as facts without evidence supporting them.This can lead to bad decision making - and I mean the kind of decisions that change lives.
17-01-2011, 01:57 PM
(17-01-2011 09:42 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I agree, it is harder to do this for disbelief than for a belief. All I can say is, why do you need evidence?

Because if you're going to believe things without evidence, you might as well just go and live in Candyland.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
17-01-2011, 03:30 PM
If you really want to do this right, every individual would have to go through every single God, since Theists tend to be Atheists to hundreds of Gods, only a few Gods seperate an atheist and a theist. You could only really perform this challenge for a theist because they make the positive claim here.
17-01-2011, 08:24 PM
(17-01-2011 03:30 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  If you really want to do this right, every individual would have to go through every single God, since Theists tend to be Atheists to hundreds of Gods, only a few Gods seperate an atheist and a theist. You could only really perform this challenge for a theist because they make the positive claim here.

I think you may be right :/ I tried to do this as a sort of devil's advocate thing, but it's not really working out too well.

17-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I appreciate the attempt Wink
Hard to do on a group with no positive claim though. Maybe try a more political issue? I have very positive stakes in politics.