A Christian Nation

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-06-2015, 11:54 AM
A Christian Nation
So, how come here in the UK its classed as a Christian Nation yet we are a largely secular country. But America is not a Christian nation but has a hell of a lot more religious people?

Would America becoming a Christian Nation benefit it like it has us?

Is patriotism somehow tied in with religion, and therefore its harder to let go?

Ingraining that atheists are bad during the war with Russia?

I like America and Americans, Im just baffled that they are still impressed with religion, whereas we got over it a long time ago.

What's the deal?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2015, 12:10 PM
RE: A Christian Nation
During the 1950's we wanted to separate ourselves from "those godless commies" and god got pushed into freaking EVERYTHING. Remember at this time to be associated with communism IN ANY WAY was a social and professional death sentence. As such people were much quicker to profess religion.

More recently some does of evangelical Protestantism have been on the rise. This has many causes, partially slick sales tactics that push very specific psychological buttons to elicit responses. Partially it's new wrappings (presentation and energy in churches).

The stigma against atheists is falling since the fifties, but it is an uphill climb and a deep hole to climb out of. And no, toeing religion and the state would NOT help. It might on the long term, bit in the short it would hurt. Yiu only have to see and hear the theocrats in some of the southern states to know that.
25-06-2015, 01:08 PM
(25-06-2015 11:54 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Would America becoming a Christian Nation benefit it like it has us?

I think the major difference is that the UK, or at least the early nations that formed the UK, has always been a christian nation since the 4th century C.E. It has had plenty of time for the citizenry to grow apathetic to Christianity. In the US we attempted to forge a new path as a nation founded on secular principles. This provided the evangelicals with a perpetual "battle" for dominance.

The perceived need to "win" over the citizens to establish a theocratic type rule, has provided the extra momentum. With each election, the proselytizing shifts into hyper drive. This keeps adding energy into the system and makes the fight for acceptance of atheists harder.

“ moral virtue comesabout as a result of habit.” --Aristotle

Secular Ethos
[+] 1 user Likes jthiret's post
25-06-2015, 08:34 PM
"The Christian nation" thing is an issue in America.
25-06-2015, 08:38 PM
(25-06-2015 11:54 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  So, how come here in the UK its classed as a Christian Nation yet we are a largely secular country. But America is not a Christian nation but has a hell of a lot more religious people?

Would America becoming a Christian Nation benefit it like it has us?

Is patriotism somehow tied in with religion, and therefore its harder to let go?

Ingraining that atheists are bad during the war with Russia?

I like America and Americans, Im just baffled that they are still impressed with religion, whereas we got over it a long time ago.

What's the deal?

As always, Sir Humphrey had it right in Yes Primeminister.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: The Queen is inseparable from the Church of England.
Jim Hacker: And what about God?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: I think he is what is called an optional extra.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-06-2015, 10:05 PM
I believe Alexis de Tocqueville, in the intro to Democracy in America, opined that the Puritan basis of American society, coupled with our ideas about individual religious liberty, would lead to a continent of much stronger religion than the European nations which enforced state religions.

It is ironic when American Christians try to erode the "wall of separation" between Church and State, as it appears to be the thing that makes us such a "Christian Nation". Of course, explaining to my religious relatives why their obsession with the phrase "one nation under God", which split the original phrase "one nation, Indivisible" with their religious influence over our terrified-of-atheist-commies government in 1954, is a Bad Thing ™, seems to be an exercise in futility.

About a decade ago, I had long conversations with a friend in the Swedish Army, who was of the opinion that his nation, one of the most atheistic on the planet, was so as a direct result of the national "official" religion. Perhaps the best thing that could happen to us, in the long term, would be a Supreme Court full of Scalias and Thomases... but in the short term, it would make life even more uncomfortable for non-believers than it is now. Think the National Day of Prayer obnoxiousness is bad?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-06-2015, 10:28 PM
(25-06-2015 11:54 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  What's the deal?

No idea. If you figure it out, please let us know.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
26-06-2015, 01:21 AM
(25-06-2015 11:54 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Is patriotism somehow tied in with religion, and therefore its harder to let go?

I think it could be - in Poland if you are not catholic then you aren't true Pole and surely you don't love your "glorious motherland". Believers think only believers - catholics specifically - could be patriots.

Maybe in USA things look the same?

(25-06-2015 11:54 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Ingraining that atheists are bad during the war with Russia?

Again it could be the case. During PRL atheism was kinda expected and being believer was something akin to opposing regime. To this day atheism is confused with communism or whatever it was called back then.

So situation looks different as USA was not occupied but what was ingrained could stuck.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.