A Christian Working Her Ways Towards Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: A Christian Working Her Ways Towards Atheism
(13-11-2015 03:52 PM)rwallacetx19 Wrote:  Thanks everyone. You're all very kind. My biggest worry (aside from letting go of what I've known my whole life) is how my family will react. We have our issues, but I'm very close to them. I know my mother was visibly upset when I only expressed doubts. My youngest sister is the only one who understands what I'm going through, because she's going through this transformation herself. How have you guys dealt with telling your family?

In my case, I never had to "tell my family" that I was an atheist. They knew I would no longer go to church or pray at meals with them, and that was enough for me, as I'm not super emotionally close to them. Three years in my mom asked me if I still believed in god anymore, and it was a short and sweet conversation about how I can still celebrate Christmas without a god belief. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
13-11-2015, 04:04 PM
I'll take a look at the book. I haven't read any books on atheism. All I know I've read online. Any issues I have with the Bible has just come from me looking at it with a critical. Now that I think about it, a Bible class I took at a Catholic university started me questioning. Their scholars don't take it very seriously, at least the Old Testament.

(13-11-2015 03:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Smile You don't need to worry about hell. It is completely a man-made concept. The Egyptians had a version of the underworld, so did other religions. Additionally, the Jewish version of hell is different from the Christian version of hell...and those two hells come from the same Bible....just different Testaments. I highly recommend Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction.

Here's a website to check out that describes the Egyptian version of hell.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/hell.htm
13-11-2015, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 04:08 PM by TheInquisition.)
(13-11-2015 03:52 PM)rwallacetx19 Wrote:  Thanks everyone. You're all very kind. My biggest worry (aside from letting go of what I've known my whole life) is how my family will react. We have our issues, but I'm very close to them. I know my mother was visibly upset when I only expressed doubts. My youngest sister is the only one who understands what I'm going through, because she's going through this transformation herself. How have you guys dealt with telling your family?

I just started liking a bunch of memes on Facebook, my mom defriended me, my former best friend got mad at me (that's why he's former now), my brother chided me for liking something to do with evolution, I informed him that I don't believe in myth anymore, we haven't talked about it since.

So I just sort of pissed in their theist punch, maybe I could have done it with better tact, but oh well, it gives people a clear choice with how to respond to you. Yes, I'm an atheist- now how will you deal with it?

With your interest in Egyptian history, you might have known this already, but I found it fascinating when I realized how deeply connected Hebrew mythology is to Sumerian/Babylonian mythology.

Panbabylonism

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-11-2015, 04:17 PM
I've let the anti-christian snark fly a couple times on FB. It happened the most around the time the Noah movie came out. I made a snide remark about how god loved us so much he wiped out all mankind with a flood. A friend replied that he was a loving god who only had the best for us or something to that effect. I said if you found genocide loving, have at it. We didn't speak for a while.
[+] 6 users Like rwallacetx19's post
13-11-2015, 04:23 PM
It's natural to grieve, but that will soon give way to anger at God for not existing, ha ha. But that goes away too. It is liberating to have no cloud to fall off of anymore, but the falling off is a process. Don't rush yourself! Be glad you're human. A bit of waffling is to be expected.
[+] 1 user Likes Don T's post
13-11-2015, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 06:11 PM by jennybee.)
(13-11-2015 04:04 PM)rwallacetx19 Wrote:  I'll take a look at the book. I haven't read any books on atheism. All I know I've read online. Any issues I have with the Bible has just come from me looking at it with a critical. Now that I think about it, a Bible class I took at a Catholic university started me questioning. Their scholars don't take it very seriously, at least the Old Testament.

(13-11-2015 03:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Smile You don't need to worry about hell. It is completely a man-made concept. The Egyptians had a version of the underworld, so did other religions. Additionally, the Jewish version of hell is different from the Christian version of hell...and those two hells come from the same Bible....just different Testaments. I highly recommend Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction.

Here's a website to check out that describes the Egyptian version of hell.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/hell.htm

Yes, reading books by mainstream scholars is very helpful. Look for things by Richard Carrier, Ehrman, Hector Avalos to name a few. I would also recommend getting some biblical commentaries and checking Yale OT courses online (on youtube) with Christine Hayes.

One of the things that helped me with my fear of hell (because like you--it kept me hanging on a little bit longer to the nonsense) is the realization that these were all stories made up by people long ago to explain why things were the way they were. For ex., the "scientific" mindset at this time was that the sun passed through the underworld (hell) and that was what caused night to occur. This is the mindset you are dealing with in the Bible. When you read the Bible in that context--it makes it abundantly clear that these are all man-made concepts. The more you read about the Bible in a scholarly context, the more everything starts to unravel and make sense.

In terms of telling your family, there's no rush and no pressure. You can still be out in your atheism and tell your family in your own time.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
13-11-2015, 04:37 PM
I also understand that the concept of hell is a control mechanism. How are you going to control a large group of people if everything is sunshine and roses? Fear is a powerful motivator. I am trying to get that through my thick skull!
[+] 2 users Like rwallacetx19's post
13-11-2015, 04:39 PM
(13-11-2015 04:37 PM)rwallacetx19 Wrote:  I also understand that the concept of hell is a control mechanism. How are you going to control a large group of people if everything is sunshine and roses? Fear is a powerful motivator. I am trying to get that through my thick skull!

You were brainwashed. We all were. It's hard to undo that. Educating yourself on the Bible is the best way to overcome brainwashing. It just takes some time, but you will get there. What you are going through right now is very common.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
13-11-2015, 04:41 PM
(13-11-2015 04:05 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

I just started liking a bunch of memes on Facebook, my mom defriended me, my former best friend got mad at me (that's why he's former now), my brother chided me for liking something to do with evolution, I informed him that I don't believe in myth anymore, we haven't talked about it since.

So I just sort of pissed in their theist punch, maybe I could have done it with better tact, but oh well, it gives people a clear choice with how to respond to you. Yes, I'm an atheist- now how will you deal with it?

With your interest in Egyptian history, you might have known this already, but I found it fascinating when I realized how deeply connected Hebrew mythology is to Sumerian/Babylonian mythology.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panbabylonism][/url]

Omg funny you mentioned that. Just today I got my sister and 3 friends unfollow me on Twitter because I retweeted a funny picture from @thinkatheist Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like izel's post
13-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's going through this. It feels very isolating.
[+] 1 user Likes rwallacetx19's post