A Christian girl with Down syndrome may face death in Pakistan.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2012 11:58 PM by kingschosen.)
A Christian girl with Down syndrome may face death in Pakistan.
Thread merged. To make for easier reading, Anthony's original post is copied.

This story makes me sick. while I am grateful that I live in a country where I am free to chose what I want to believe or not believe this simple reality for most of us isn't available all over the world.

This 11-12 year old girl is facing death just because she didn't know any better and all because of religion.

It makes me ask myself would I be an atheist if I could be killed for it? very provoking subject.

http://www.news.com.au/world/downs-syndr...6453743491

Edit:
Working link
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/20/...y-burning/

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 09:05 AM
RE: A Christian girl with Down syndrome may face death in Pakistan.
I saw this on the BBC news website earlier... religion is fun for everyone...

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Girl with Down Syndrome has been arrested on blasphemy charges in Pakistan.
This story makes me sick. while I am grateful that I live in a country where I am free to chose what I want to believe or not believe this simple reality for most of us isn't available all over the world.

This 11-12 year old girl is facing death just because she didn't know any better and all because of religion.

It makes me ask myself would I be an atheist if I could be killed for it? very provoking subject.

http://www.news.com.au/world/downs-syndr...6453743491

We are simply viewing our Universe from the shoulders of the Giants that came before us
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2012, 08:05 PM
RE: Girl with Down Syndrome has been arrested on blasphemy charges in Pakistan.
I would tell them, if the girl dies, we will nuke your city.
What's it gonna be, can you handle it when an illiterate 11 yr old girl with downs syndrome burns a few pieces of paper that someone said was from a Quran ?

It's not just the girl. 900 people in this Christian community of Islamabad were forced to evacuate their homes because other people were rioting and threatening to burn down all of their houses.
This was averted and all the homes were padlocked shut after the girl was arrested.

I am beyond sick about this story. I want the nuke codes and I want them NOW.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm sure they are saying that it's Allah's will that she dies too....

stupid sick fucks.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
20-08-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19315210

Here's the story from the BBC, where I originally saw it. This stuff makes me crazy as well. While I was at work today, I was thinking about how weird it would be, to be so crazy about a book, that you couldn't handle anyone who didn't take it seriously, or treat it respectfully. I also wonder if the girl would even realize what was going on. It doesn't really seem to me to be something that a person with Down Syndrome would really do. Why wander around with some pages from the Koran in a bag? Why did anyone even look in the bag in the first place? It makes me wonder if perhaps it was a plant/fabrication, in order for some people to get an excuse to murder some other people.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
20-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Barbaric philistines Angry

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
20-08-2012, 09:12 PM
FUCKING SAVAGES!

Executing the mentally retarded. Who the fuck do they think they are? Texas? Or Governor George W Bush of Texas circa 2000?

Now that the emotional outcry is out of the way, there are several issues at play.

1 - Capital punishment itself.
2 - The execution of the mentally retarded.
3 - In a judicial system that accepts capital punishment, which crimes deserve to be punished by capital punishment.

Americans can't shit on Pakistan for using capital punishment because 33 states and the federal government execute people on a regular basis. I personally think that capital punishment is abhorrent and I will fight tooth and nail if anyone ever tries to institute it in Canada.

Americans cannot shit on Pakistan for executing the mentally retarded because it happens in the US frequently despite it being ruled illegal on the grounds of it being cruel and unusual punishment.

Should someone be executed for burning a book? I don't think so. I also don't delude myself into thinking that Pakistan exists in a vacuum. Islam is the basis of Pakistan. Islam in Pakistan goes back to Neru and Gandhi and the end of English colonial rule of India. Pakistan is a nuclear power that lives next door to another nuclear power, India, and they both have said nukes pointed at each other (and a continual border issue in the Kashmir). The CIA has launched more drone sorties into Pakistan, without congressional approval, without oversight, than were launched in the entire Kosovo War; and they aren't at war with Pakistan. The Afghanistan war has been spilling into Pakistan for, oh, at least two decades. It's understandable to me that people in Pakistan are freaked the fuck out and that they are clinging tenaciously to the thing that gives them their national identity. Doesn't make it right, but if we're going to judge, then we have to weigh all of the facts, not just the ones that satisfy our preconceived notions.

After 9/11, Sikhs were attacked in the US. Sikhs have absolutely sum zero to do with Islam. But Americans felt like attacking someone 'other' because they felt threatened. The geopolitical situation in Pakistan (a country that lived under a military dictatorship, backed by the US no less, for years) is way more unstable than that of the US by a few dozen orders of magnitude. So if people blindly lash out in the States because a couple of buildings were knocked down, then it shouldn't surprise anyone that people in Pakistan do it as well.

At the end of the day, of course it's abhorrent that someone is being executed for something as puerile as blasphemy. But to just say "they're sick fucks and it's all the fault of religion" is about as reductionist as you can get and gets us nowhere near the heart of the matter. If we allow ourselves to be overwhelmed by emotional arguments, then we are on a fast track to becoming the same mob that went after this girl.

I hope that law makers in Pakistan gather the political will to repeal this law at the minimum and capital punishment at the maximum. I hope this girl is exonerated. And I hope that the political situation is given a chance to stabalise (unlikely so long as the US has interests in the region).

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
21-08-2012, 03:23 AM
RE: A Christian girl with Down syndrome may face death in Pakistan.
Sounds like some scumbag using blasphemy laws to vicitimise someone who makes them feel uneasy.

The pessimist in me thinks she'll be murdered either way.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
21-08-2012, 10:22 AM
This is sad. Forced religion. And if you dare speak out against it, you get executed. The article says there is huge public support for the law that says blasphemers should be executed - no doubt that support comes from the threat of execution itself. And just how is a person who is born with Down's Syndrome and left with all the related consequences - mental, physical, social, societal - supposed to believe in a god anyway? Dodgy There are those that do and it always surprises me, but it doesn't surprise me at all when they don't.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair