A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 07:32 AM
RE: A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible
(23-06-2014 03:03 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(21-06-2014 03:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong.
It's not an "argument". Scholars know the origins of human texts are human. The extraordinary claim is they are something else. There is no evidence they are "something else". They fit perfectly historically with the history and values of the cultures which produced the texts. Any claim to their origins, other than human, is what has to be supported here. Human origins is the default position, (unless of course one is a Presupposisionalist, which once again you have demonstrated).

You have yet to provide an argument or evidence for your truth claim. You claim that the Old and New Testament texts are not divinely inspired.
If the OT and NT ARE divinely inspired then they were inspired by an idiot if the number of mistakes, immoralities, and self-contradictions are anything to go by.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post
24-06-2014, 07:34 AM
(24-06-2014 05:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 04:52 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  What kind of an idiot comes to an atheist forum and asks an atheist if he wants to be drawn by god?

What kind of atheist complains about not being drawn by God?

Where do you see complaining? Can you not get the full picture and recognize a little sarcasim and wit thrown in for good measure? Why don't you reply to Mathilda's points and stop nagging at Bucky's pant leg like a lost puppy?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
24-06-2014, 07:45 AM
(19-06-2014 04:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Saying the Bible is comprised of ridiculous fantasies no more makes it so than me saying God is real makes Him so. And in view of the abundance of ad hominem attacks and lack of engagement with my arguments, I would not say that those here who resort to such means are my intellectual superiors.

The only proof we have of your God existing is a bunch of people saying he's real Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
24-06-2014, 07:47 AM
(24-06-2014 07:45 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 04:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Saying the Bible is comprised of ridiculous fantasies no more makes it so than me saying God is real makes Him so. And in view of the abundance of ad hominem attacks and lack of engagement with my arguments, I would not say that those here who resort to such means are my intellectual superiors.

The only proof we have of your God existing is a bunch of people saying he's real Consider
Does he genuinely not understand Burden of Proof or is he just being ignoring it because it's inconvenient.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 3 users Like Winterwolf00's post
24-06-2014, 08:27 AM
(24-06-2014 07:47 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:45 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  The only proof we have of your God existing is a bunch of people saying he's real Consider
Does he genuinely not understand Burden of Proof or is he just being ignoring it because it's inconvenient.

Yes.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-06-2014, 09:06 AM
(24-06-2014 07:34 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Why don't you reply to Mathilda's points and stop nagging at Bucky's pant leg like a lost puppy?

I suspect because I am not sticking to the script.

Jeremy's probably read some book about debating with atheists and it said that most of them won't say with 100% certainty that God does not exist* and most atheists are therefore agnostic. Therefore the way to debate them is try to establish reasonable doubt.

There was a thread on this forum a little while ago asking whether there really was much difference between gnostic and agnostic atheism because the distinction is only relevant when debating a theist. I'm coming to the conclusion that even then the difference is not worth bothering about.

My take on it is that we can't know anything 100% regardless so it is not useful to have that as part of a definition. But we can, and do know things to the extent where the alternative has a negligible chance of being correct. If we define gnostic atheism as coming to the conclusion that the likelihood of God existing is negligible rather than 0% then the definition becomes far more useful.

* Whilst not mentioning that this is because many atheists are scientifically trained or have better developed critical thinking skills and therefore only consider the available evidence
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
24-06-2014, 09:13 AM
(24-06-2014 07:45 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

Reference the arguments for the existence of God.
24-06-2014, 09:16 AM
(24-06-2014 09:13 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:45 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  The only proof we have of your God existing is a bunch of people saying he's real Consider

Reference the arguments for the existence of God.

That's your job actually.

― Gordon R. Dickson
24-06-2014, 09:19 AM
(24-06-2014 09:16 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 09:13 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Reference the arguments for the existence of God.

That's your job actually.

Which I have done.
24-06-2014, 09:22 AM
(24-06-2014 09:19 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 09:16 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  That's your job actually.

Which I have done.

And still have proven nothing, perhaps you need better arguments.

― Gordon R. Dickson