RE: A Christian's response to"An atheist's critique of the Bible
[Image: wat-meme.jpg]

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Great work JW
Can you do a Critique of this next, I'm sick of my favorite fiction titles being ridiculed.
Harry Potter and the Implausible Plot Device
http://crookedtimber.org/2003/08/04/harr...ot-device/

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
19-06-2014, 08:14 AM
(18-06-2014 08:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The following will be a response to Buddy Christ's critique of the Bible.

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
GENESIS

First off, I'm skipping the whole "how were plants created before light/photosynthesis, how was light created before the sun, contradictions of which was created first" word games. Those take up too much time and words and pie.

Buddy Christ briefly mentions plants being created before light/photosynthesis, light being created before the sun and alluded that these somehow indicated contradictions. Instead of addressing a strawman, I will allow him to formulate an argument for me to interact with that demonstrates that the Genesis account indeed tells us that plants were created before light and that light was created before the sun and that this constitutes a contradiction.

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  1:16 "And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also."

-The moon is not a light, it is a reflection of the sun's light.

The moon is a luminary, and thus is a light bearing celestial body. A luminary can be defined as a natural light-giving body, especially the sun or moon. - Courtesy of Google primary search result

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  This is the first of many examples that suggest that God's omnipotence seems to be limited to the knowledge of the demographics and time period of when the Bible was written. Strange.

I think Buddy means "God's omniscience", not omnipotence.

Secondly, since Buddy was wrong about the moon not being a light, then his argument that God's omnipotence/omniscience seems to be limited to the knowledge of the demographics and time period of when the Bible was written which itself was based on his erroneous understanding of the term "מָאוֹר" is, as it stands, groundless.

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"

-Our? Just how many gods are there?

The answer to his question is in the very verse he quoted.

"And God said...."

It does not say: "And the Gods or gods said...."

There is one God.

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! - Deuteronomy 6:4

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  2:2 "And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made."

-even though they say that God only "rested" to set an example of how would should rest on the 7th day, couldn't the Bible just say "rest on Sunday" ??(question mark)?

First of all, Saturday was the 7th day of the Hebrew week, not Sunday.

Secondly, the word "בַּיּ֣וֹם" translated as "day" in English, can have several meanings in Hebrew. Buddy's comment seems to me to assume that the word signifies a period of 24 hours. However, the context does not necessarily require this and in fact there are arguments against this interpretation.

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It clearly says God rested, which means that this all-powerful being was worn out from all those valleys and hills and Wyoming and platypuses.

The word "וַיִּשְׁבֹּת֙" which is translated in English as "rested" has a rich and multifaceted nature. It can mean to cease, to cause to desist, to rest, to cause to fail and several other meanings.

Buddy's interpretation assumes that it means to to stop doing work or an activity and to spend time relaxing after you have been active or doing work which causes one to need rest. However, he has given us no reason to think this definiens is the one warranted by the text as opposed to the other possible definientia.

The Garden and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil

-Sooooo... God takes these 2 newly formed, ignorant to life humans, puts them in a garden with a tree bearing food, nonchalantly goes "don't eat from it" ... then leaves... to go make Venus, I guess. And you know the rest.

So... WHY did he put them near the tree? WHY did he have that which he didn't want humans to attain be edible and tempting? WHY did he leave? WHY did he allow Satan the Snake to be in the garden, knowing full well that he would tempt them? Why did God design these 2 humans to be susceptible to temptation?

Then God comes strolling by (3:8 "walking in the garden in the cool of the day") at the PRECISE moment after they eat the fruit and goes "whoa whoa, what's going on here?" (I'm paraphrasing, of course)

It's like having a 2 year old child and going "Now son, I'm going to leave these delicious chocolate chip cookies sitting right here within reach of you. I'm going to the store to buy some Funyuns. Don't eat them. Bye!" When any caring parent would remove temptation, knowing that the child doesn't know any better.

So it's quite obvious to me that God WANTED man to F up royally. God created man with the sole purpose of imposing "original sin" upon him, so that he may feel guilty and grovel and ask forgiveness for something that wasn't his fault for all eternity.

That child who ate the cookies is now 40 and the parent is still bringing it up daily. "I don't care if you saved an orphanage from burning down today... remember when I told you not to eat those cookies and you did?"

Buddy is arguing here that if God were caring He would have made a world where Adam and Eve would never be tempted or if they were, that He would always remove the temptation from them before they could act on it. He then uses this as his reason for saying that God wanted Adam and Eve to sin.

Buddy has given us no reason(s) to think that if God were caring, He would have made a world void of the possibility of man being able to exercise his volitional capacities in a manner that was contrary to the revealed will of the One who endowed him with said volitional capacities. The burden is on him to support this assertion.

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Cain slays Abel and is "cast out" arbitrarily from one remote location of this empty world to another random remote location. Then he worries that "every one that findeth me shall slay me."

-This is a strange worry since he is 1 of 3 people in existence. Then he sleeps with his wife to start the incestual chain of humanity... but where did his wife come from?

Here Buddy states that "the world" is "empty" but gives no reason for thinking it so.

He also states that there are only 3 people in existence. Once again, he gives no reason for thinking this is so. In fact, he contradicts himself when he says that there are only 3 people in existence. Now Adam and Eve make 2, Cain would make 3. But if Cain sleeps with his wife then there are at least 4 people in existence, not 3. His wife was obviously a woman who was a descendant of Adam and Eve.

(04-04-2011 02:35 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  6:4 "There were giants in the earth in those days"

-I'm assuming these are literal giants and not "intellectual giants" or some modern term.

I will wait for him to address this.

This concludes my work on this response for now.

Seriously man.. Who the fuck are you trying to convince here? Tossing around your ridiculous fantasies hoping they will convince your intellectual superiors?
You probably came here thinking "I'll show those stupid atheists." You might think we are hopeless and without purpose and that you can herd us into a flock but you'll find no slaves here.
Or is it you that needs convincing? Are you here because deep down you are aware that you are a slave, property of antiquated ideal? Perhaps you desire freedom? If this is the case you have come to the right place...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
19-06-2014, 08:23 AM
(19-06-2014 08:14 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Seriously man.. Who the fuck are you trying to convince here? Tossing around your ridiculous fantasies hoping they will convince your intellectual superiors?
You probably came here thinking "I'll show those stupid atheists." You might think we are hopeless and without purpose and that you can herd us into a flock but you'll find no slaves here.
Or is it you that needs convincing? Are you here because deep down you are aware that you are a slave, property of antiquated ideal? Perhaps you desire freedom? If this is the case you have come to the right place...

shhhhhhh, do you realize how many lurkers visit here (72 online currently), JW is deconverting a few dozen fence sitters every time he opens his virtual mouth.

95 users active in the past 15 minutes (22 members, 3 of whom are invisible, and 72 guests).

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
19-06-2014, 08:33 AM
(18-06-2014 08:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The following will be a response to Buddy Christ's critique of the Bible.

GENESIS
First off, I'm skipping the whole "how were plants created before light/photosynthesis, how was light created before the sun, contradictions of which was created first" word games. Those take up too much time and words and pie.

Buddy Christ briefly mentions plants being created before light/photosynthesis, light being created before the sun and alluded that these somehow indicated contradictions. Instead of addressing a strawman, I will allow him to formulate an argument for me to interact with that demonstrates that the Genesis account indeed tells us that plants were created before light and that light was created before the sun and that this constitutes a contradiction.
So, in other words, no reply until you get more information. Rolleyes Just open the friggin Bible and stop being so lazy! What Buddy Christ was talking about is obvious!

I thought this was going to be your reply since your thread title says so.

I'm not reading any further. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
19-06-2014, 12:22 PM
A christian's response to rational thought.

"What ? I don't get it. Why would you want to think that way ? You're just jealous of the special relationship I have with my father. No, not my real father. That would be disgusting. I'm talking about my heavenly father who watches over me, except that time when I was raped. No, he wasn't watching me get raped like some pervert. Your way of thinking is just disgusting. I can't even talk to people like you"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
19-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Jeremy,

I was going to pick apart all your points one by one because they're ridiculous.

But...

If your omnipotent gawd had wanted to communicate something to us either directly or through inspired works, this thread wouldn't exist because every one of us would already understand gawd's meaning. An omnipotent being wouldn't fail. That's all that really matters so your thread is moot.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
19-06-2014, 12:52 PM
(18-06-2014 08:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ---
---

Well, I understand how you guys like to wait around for your Christs to show up but, this was written a couple of years ago and Buddy hasn't been to visit for quite a while. Besides, it's already been published. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-06-2014, 01:32 PM
(19-06-2014 12:52 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 08:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ---
---

Well, I understand how you guys like to wait around for your Christs to show up but, this was written a couple of years ago and Buddy hasn't been to visit for quite a while. Besides, it's already been published. Drinking Beverage

There's a cottage industry of boneheads writing derivative works like 'the Dawkins delusion' and so forth. Every attack on Christianity *must* be countered, no matter how light-hearted, 'cos y'know, this is *serious* stuff. People's entire lives-after-death are at stake. It's a heavy burden for any bonehead to bear.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
19-06-2014, 02:06 PM
(19-06-2014 07:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Jeremy, the fact that even a mild parody of the Bible gets such serious attention from you shows the depth of your fears Wink Relax my brother. If the Bible really is as good as you say it is then it'll stand on it's own merits, will it not? If God really intends for someone to get the message then surely it doesn't need an interpreter - namely you.

Hey! Don't discourage him!

I'm looking forward to this.

It's rare that a parody of a parody is as good as the original parody but at least it won't be as bad as the original novel that the parody of the parody parodies the parody of.

Yeah, I think i got that right Consider

(19-06-2014 07:24 AM)kim Wrote:  ...
I read Buddy Christ's book a long time ago - a good and insightful read - I recommend it. Drinking Beverage

Do I smell confirmation bias? Just 'cos Buddy is witty, sexually appealing and well... y'know... right. Unsure

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post