A Coffee Story.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2014, 12:18 AM
A Coffee Story.....
So in high school, I drank my parents horrendous cheapo generic coffee in a drip roaster, because I didn't know any better and frankly I didn't like coffee all that much.

During my early graduate work someone bought me a bag of some actual quality coffee and I decided "I don't know what I've been drinking so far but it wasn't coffee."

Then during my doctorate work my wife bought me a coffee grinder to grind my own beans and once again I decided "I don't know what I've been drinking so far but it wasn't coffee." That was 6 years ago.

Well this past week I opened up my very expensive home espresso brewer given to me by a relative that has more money than he knows what to do with and is probably good for him. I went and got a decent burr grinder to go with it and set out to learn how to use this unwieldy contraption.

I was shocked as hell. I've never actually had home made espresso before, I just buy it at the coffee shop. If you are like me, let me assure you that whatever it is you think you've been getting that they call espresso at your local XYZ coffee shop is not anything even remotely close to the real thing. So once again, I find myself saying "I don't know what the hell it was I thought I was drinking before but it wasn't coffee."

I'm just curious what other people's caffeinated drug of choice is. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2014, 12:53 AM
RE: A Coffee Story.....
This is mine.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
07-12-2014, 01:30 AM
Double shot Americano... lately, I've been doing a sweet, dark Ethiopian. I usually roast my own beans but it's getting chilly on my back porch and I'm getting lazy.
I might forgo roasting for the winter since I've agreed to put in a few hours a week at my local coffee shop, starting in January. They also roast their own beans.

Pretty sure we have a couple of coffee threads... here's a great one. Enjoy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-12-2014, 05:32 AM

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
07-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Quote:I'm just curious what other people's caffeinated drug of choice is. Drinking Beverage

[Image: tumblr_mbflwjHv8n1r24izlo1_400.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Southern style sweet iced tea...all day, every day.

Oh, and BC Powder. The breakfast of champions.

[Image: iced-tea-1-570x570.jpg]

[Image: BC.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
07-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Two doppios every morning before I really open my eyes. Pretty basic Krups pump machine. Lately I've been using a pre-ground (Cafe Bustelo) although I do have a burr grinder for when I want to take the time to savor the whole experience. Most mornings it's "Get me my caffeine as quickly as possible!"

The Bustelo is pretty good. It's a Cuban style roast/grind and does well in both the pump machine and a macchinetta.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Rockstar until Friday last week.

Was gaming at a friends house, it was about two o' clock in the morning we were out of energy drinks and about to fight the gnoll cheiftan. Previously I'd only had the instant stuff at home, which I'd hated, so I wasn't particularly looking forward to "the sulpherous brew" but I was pleasently surprised:
It (a triple shot caramel late) tasted better than the stuff I was used too and had more kick to it.

I'm trying to ween myself onto the cheeper stuff without sweetener at the moment.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
07-12-2014, 08:09 AM
(07-12-2014 12:18 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  I'm just curious what other people's caffeinated drug of choice is. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 1052-297943-Lndingheder_460x350.png]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-12-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 08:56 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(07-12-2014 08:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 12:18 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  I'm just curious what other people's caffeinated drug of choice is. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 1052-297943-Lndingheder_460x350.png]

Where I come from Teas like PG Tips or Red Rose are for Protestants. Catholics drink Tetley.
Who cares? Probably no one..
Anyway I might be considered a cretin when it comes to coffee. Just gimme my coffee and make it strong. Cream and sugar? I prefer honey but I don't really care. Tim Hortons? Starbucks? 7-11? My keurig? Camp coffee? I don't really care. Just gimme gimme gimme...
Coffee is it when it comes to caffein. I drink coffee, water and alcohol. Oh and orange juice. I love orange juice. It's yellow by the way.....