A Coffee Story.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2014, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 09:55 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: A Coffee Story.....
(07-12-2014 12:18 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  So in high school, I drank my parents horrendous cheapo generic coffee in a drip roaster, because I didn't know any better and frankly I didn't like coffee all that much.

During my early graduate work someone bought me a bag of some actual quality coffee and I decided "I don't know what I've been drinking so far but it wasn't coffee."

Then during my doctorate work my wife bought me a coffee grinder to grind my own beans and once again I decided "I don't know what I've been drinking so far but it wasn't coffee." That was 6 years ago.

Well this past week I opened up my very expensive home espresso brewer given to me by a relative that has more money than he knows what to do with and is probably good for him. I went and got a decent burr grinder to go with it and set out to learn how to use this unwieldy contraption.

I was shocked as hell. I've never actually had home made espresso before, I just buy it at the coffee shop. If you are like me, let me assure you that whatever it is you think you've been getting that they call espresso at your local XYZ coffee shop is not anything even remotely close to the real thing. So once again, I find myself saying "I don't know what the hell it was I thought I was drinking before but it wasn't coffee."

I'm just curious what other people's caffeinated drug of choice is. Drinking Beverage

I don't have an espresso maker here at school. My parents have one, and I really love it. I like to mix beans when grinding up coffees, just to experiment. I usually get them at Caribou. Any favorites you know from there.

I think I know what I'm going to ask Santa to bring me. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Instant.

It's all in the water, and we have a natural spring - the nectar of the gods. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-12-2014, 10:14 AM
(07-12-2014 12:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  This is mine.

Ah you drink yours like I do, more akin to black death than coffee.
07-12-2014, 10:34 AM
(07-12-2014 09:07 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Instant.

It's all in the water, and we have a natural spring - the nectar of the gods. Big Grin

Oh Thinkerbelle I had such High hopes for you Weeping

Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-12-2014, 10:46 AM
(07-12-2014 08:09 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 12:18 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  I'm just curious what other people's caffeinated drug of choice is. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 1052-297943-Lndingheder_460x350.png]

I drink tea.

[Image: mr-t-teapot.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
07-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Re: A Coffee Story.....
I'm not a fan of coffee drinks. I was a barista & trainer for years (no, not Starbucks). However, one of my repair guys worked at a coffee place and told me he hated coffee, but he gave me one tip:

You must try Tanzanian peaberry.

Do not add sugar or cream. It's good only by itself. A peaberry is when a coffee bean does not split in the pod.

Other than that, I like various teas and infusions. Technically it's only tea if it's from Camellia sinensis. We have a little pagan shop that has a lot of teas, infusions, and custom blends. I also mix some of my own from time to time. Earl Grey and Lady Grey are a couple favorites. I have tea pots and balls here.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
07-12-2014, 12:50 PM
One day I want to try cat shit coffee.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
07-12-2014, 01:01 PM
(07-12-2014 12:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  One day I want to try cat shit coffee.

I see why you fell off that chair. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-12-2014, 01:03 PM
(07-12-2014 10:34 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 09:07 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Instant.

Oh Thinkerbelle I had such High hopes for you Weeping

Tongue

I get compliments on my coffee. It's the water, I tell you!

Brewed coffee upsets my stomach. I can't drink the stuff - too acidic.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-12-2014, 01:08 PM
(07-12-2014 12:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  One day I want to try cat shit coffee.

Now I know where to send the poop I scoop. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post