A Conversation with my Boss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2014, 02:33 PM
A Conversation with my Boss
While at work on a Sunday, my boss and I spoke about scheduling and the difficulty of getting workers to be available on the Sabbath. I reassured him that I would always be available on Sundays, and added that I am not a Mormon like the majority of the workforce in my area. He laughed and said that I must be the only one on his staff who isn't.

After a short pause, he asked me if I was a Christian, as if that was the most likely alternative. I immediately felt my gut tighten, as it always does when I prepare the say the word "Atheist" out loud. It isn't that I am ashamed or without pride in who I am, but that I never know what reaction it will provoke. I am often afraid of an outburst of intolerance or hate, but I take the risk as often as it is appropriate.

I gathered my courage and said "No. I am an Atheist". I immediately regretted it, because of the look of utter shock on his face. Thoughts like "My job is fucked" went through my head, but I stood my ground to take the full brunt of his reaction.

Suddenly, he smiled and said. "So am I".

Big Grin

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 24 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
24-03-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: A Conversation with my Boss
(24-03-2014 02:33 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  While at work on a Sunday, my boss and I spoke about scheduling and the difficulty of getting workers to be available on the Sabbath. I reassured him that I would always be available on Sundays, and added that I am not a Mormon like the majority of the workforce in my area. He laughed and said that I must be the only one on his staff who isn't.

After a short pause, he asked me if I was a Christian, as if that was the most likely alternative. I immediately felt my gut tighten, as it always does when I prepare the say the word "Atheist" out loud. It isn't that I am ashamed or without pride in who I am, but that I never know what reaction it will provoke. I am often afraid of an outburst of intolerance or hate, but I take the risk as often as it is appropriate.

I gathered my courage and said "No. I am an Atheist". I immediately regretted it, because of the look of utter shock on his face. Thoughts like "My job is fucked" went through my head, but I stood my ground to take the full brunt of his reaction.

Big Grin

Haha, very awesome! Thumbsup
24-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Nice! I bet that felt pretty good.

You shoulda messed with him though and been like "....I was kidding....I'm a mormon too..."

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
24-03-2014, 02:45 PM
My boss is an athiest too. He thinks I am just a bad catholic.
24-03-2014, 02:58 PM
(24-03-2014 02:33 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  While at work on a Sunday, my boss and I spoke about scheduling and the difficulty of getting workers to be available on the Sabbath. I reassured him that I would always be available on Sundays, and added that I am not a Mormon like the majority of the workforce in my area. He laughed and said that I must be the only one on his staff who isn't.

Big Grin

Shoulda told him you were a Pastafarian.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
24-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Man. Even I let out a sigh of relief when I got to the end of that story.

Thumbsup

Glad to hear it went well. You may have just become your boss's new favorite employee.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
24-03-2014, 05:45 PM
When I cringe at the possible outcome of this story, it let's me know that we have a long ways to go before atheism is accepted as a choice that many people make in society instead of just a rare few.

I often get the feeling that people would rather hear that I was a nazi than an atheist.
I'm not a nazi by the way. Just using a term that christians can relate to more than they can relate to an atheist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
24-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Nice one!Thumbsup Coming to the end of your story I was convinced you were about to join the ranks of the unemployed.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
24-03-2014, 07:17 PM
That had my stomach in knots.

Glad it went well.

Whew!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Big Grin

[Image: yay.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post