24-03-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: A Conversation with my Boss
Great story Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2014, 01:15 AM
(24-03-2014 02:33 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  While at work on a Sunday, my boss and I spoke about scheduling and the difficulty of getting workers to be available on the Sabbath. I reassured him that I would always be available on Sundays, and added that I am not a Mormon like the majority of the workforce in my area. He laughed and said that I must be the only one on his staff who isn't.

After a short pause, he asked me if I was a Christian, as if that was the most likely alternative. I immediately felt my gut tighten, as it always does when I prepare the say the word "Atheist" out loud. It isn't that I am ashamed or without pride in who I am, but that I never know what reaction it will provoke. I am often afraid of an outburst of intolerance or hate, but I take the risk as often as it is appropriate.

I gathered my courage and said "No. I am an Atheist". I immediately regretted it, because of the look of utter shock on his face. Thoughts like "My job is fucked" went through my head, but I stood my ground to take the full brunt of his reaction.

Suddenly, he smiled and said. "So am I".

Big Grin

[Image: awesome_sauce_by_goblinworkshop-d61aykm.jpg]

Thumbsup

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I tell some of my patients that I've written a book about the history of Christianity.

The usual response is a blank stare.

I then say...
"don't worry, I'm an atheist, I'm debunking all the nonsense..." The relief in the room is tangible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
25-03-2014, 04:23 PM
My brother is a born again christian living in the UK. He's currently being bullied at work by a colleague. I mean this guy's properly stalking him, trying to undermine my brother at every stage and basically lying to point where my brother risks losing his job. The colleague has a history of doing this and the HR department are weak and useless. Needless to say my brother who doesn't have a nasty bone in his body is significantly mentally suffering from this. He can't help thinking that it's because he is a christian. It isn't though. The colleague is a bully and bullies will naturally look for any weakness that they can exploit.

I was always the one bullied throughout my school life and I went from being someone who was really sweet and wouldn't even consider hurting someone else, to someone completely introverted with no self esteem and ended up as someone who stands up to all bullies on principle no matter what the personal cost (that includes bosses).

My brother never got bullied at school, grew up, found christianity and ended up with the same victim mentality I spent the first half of my life trying to get rid of.
25-03-2014, 06:24 PM
(24-03-2014 02:33 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  While at work on a Sunday, my boss and I spoke about scheduling and the difficulty of getting workers to be available on the Sabbath. I reassured him that I would always be available on Sundays, and added that I am not a Mormon like the majority of the workforce in my area. He laughed and said that I must be the only one on his staff who isn't.

After a short pause, he asked me if I was a Christian, as if that was the most likely alternative. I immediately felt my gut tighten, as it always does when I prepare the say the word "Atheist" out loud. It isn't that I am ashamed or without pride in who I am, but that I never know what reaction it will provoke. I am often afraid of an outburst of intolerance or hate, but I take the risk as often as it is appropriate.

I gathered my courage and said "No. I am an Atheist". I immediately regretted it, because of the look of utter shock on his face. Thoughts like "My job is fucked" went through my head, but I stood my ground to take the full brunt of his reaction.

Suddenly, he smiled and said. "So am I".

Big Grin
That's great and I'm glad it all turned out well. Thumbsup

My boss is a Catholic and I'm guessing pretty devout since he does a lot of volunteer work helping his church out with one thing or another. We have never discussed religion beyond his telling me about his volunteer work in the context of a different unrelated discussion. If he was ever to ask me where I stand concerning religion, I hope I would have the courage that you did and tell him I'm an atheist. But I'm not sure I would - mainly because risking losing my job would be a risk for my family as well as myself. Anyway, great job! That couldn't have been easy at all.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
25-03-2014, 06:35 PM
nice! Wish I was so lucky, all of my peers, my boss, and my bosses boss are all literal fundamentalist christians, and all know I am an atheist, of course, my goodwithoutgod coffee cup isnt exactly hiding that fact...Confused

[Image: f9p0xz.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-03-2014, 07:27 PM
(25-03-2014 06:35 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  nice! Wish I was so lucky, all of my peers, my boss, and my bosses boss are all literal fundamentalist christians, and all know I am an atheist, of course, my goodwithoutgod coffee cup isnt exactly hiding that fact...Confused

What's it like working with them?
25-03-2014, 07:36 PM
(25-03-2014 07:27 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 06:35 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  nice! Wish I was so lucky, all of my peers, my boss, and my bosses boss are all literal fundamentalist christians, and all know I am an atheist, of course, my goodwithoutgod coffee cup isnt exactly hiding that fact...Confused

What's it like working with them?

Entertaining to say the least, we have some.....interesting conversations. One of my peers and a decent friend is an absolute literal word for word believer fundamentalist type who I stump daily, and he runs home to his wife who is a sunday school teacher, or calls his pastor (not kidding) to figure out his comeback....for which I usually giggle and start pantomiming a tapdance.

My boss I am a little more careful with because, well he is my boss, but I make the same points. It is nice to be at my maximum possible paygrade and not have to worry about how my evaluations will impact my future employment....of course he wouldnt and couldnt do that in reality, but it does give me a certain sense of freedom. I retire in 2 years for my 30 year statuatory military retirement, being senior to most is nice, being at my last paygrade gives me a little.....relaxation about not stepping on toes.

We all get along great though and are very close. but it IS an interesting work environment.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-03-2014, 08:18 PM
(25-03-2014 07:36 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 07:27 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  What's it like working with them?

Entertaining to say the least, we have some.....interesting conversations. One of my peers and a decent friend is an absolute literal word for word believer fundamentalist type who I stump daily, and he runs home to his wife who is a sunday school teacher, or calls his pastor (not kidding) to figure out his comeback....for which I usually giggle and start pantomiming a tapdance.

My boss I am a little more careful with because, well he is my boss, but I make the same points. It is nice to be at my maximum possible paygrade and not have to worry about how my evaluations will impact my future employment....of course he wouldnt and couldnt do that in reality, but it does give me a certain sense of freedom. I retire in 2 years for my 30 year statuatory military retirement, being senior to most is nice, being at my last paygrade gives me a little.....relaxation about not stepping on toes.

We all get along great though and are very close. but it IS an interesting work environment.

Nice to know everyone gets on. Thanks for sharing